Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you wear ear plugs on rides

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,456 Posts
Who regularly uses ear plugs on rides?
Ohio used to have a law against riding with earplugs. I'll leave it to the Ohio members to inform us as to whether that is still in effect. Doesn't matter, I still wear my plugs. Small ear canals so I have to use the "ladies" size which comes in hot pink. On the plus side I never lose them. Wind noise, engine noise, pipes, doesn't matter. Do you REALLY want to lose your hearing? Bottom line is that I wear mine because traveling long distances is more fatiguing when you're exposed high decibel noise.

·
Bronze member
2,456 Posts
EarPeace. I have had severe tinnitus in one ear for many years now. I’m trying to preserve what hearing I have left. EarPeace, along with my bluetooth helmet, allows me to hear my map directions, phone calls, etc., while significantly reducing wind noise, and reduces my exhaust volume (mine is moderate) while (thankfully) still being able to hear it. I use their sleep model earplugs too. I highly recommend them.
And I bet you wear a watch while you ride too.;)

·
Bronze member
2,456 Posts
Find the local gun range and ask who does custom ear plugs, get 2 sets of different colors, add in a secondary color for the left or right so it's easier to tell them apart. Do not get the attaching string block. Will take maybe an hour to do both sets. Last time i got a set they were about $65 or so a set. Are more comfortable than the disposable and do a better job. These are molded to your ears.
They may be good for short rides...but NOT for all day. For a 12 hour ride (or longer) I find them unsuitable. The material is much harder and thus uncomfortable in the ear canal after many hours. I have several pairs and they are all about the same. Red bead is RIGHT side, blue bead...you get the drift. Bright colors so they don't get "lost". A pack of the pink squishy plugs I get are maybe 50 for $9? I keep 'em in my sleeve pocket. YMMV.

Font Jewellery Electric blue Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Bronze member
2,456 Posts
Yes they are a harder material, but i don't know how old yours are but the material and how they are made has changed in recent years. They now use a gel rather than a puddy consistency product. So, they fit even better. Those look like they never been used.
Well, I DO keep them clean. I use them mostly at the range under ear muffs. I'm usually there less than an hour so they aren't much of a problem. Got those at the last NRA convention. I'd like to see the gel ones you mentioned. I'm sure they'd be more comfortable.

·
Bronze member
2,456 Posts
Its the same product but a different configuration of the material, if what you have are uncomfortable then the guy used to much pressure to fill your ears, so it's too tight.
Anything's possible. And I DO have several pairs (all fit by different people). I would also think that, as you say, the material has changed so I might get better results the next time around.

Reactions: Bird Dog
1 - 5 of 5 Posts