Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you wear ear plugs on rides

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

Registered
Ear plugs are more or less important depending on helmet choice. Full face or modular help remove a lot of the noise that a half helmet doesn鈥檛 mitigate.
I think wind noise is worse than the exhaust or music I always hear.

That said, I usually do not wear ear plugs. I鈥檝e already lost a significant part of my hearing to work and hobbies.
Once your hearing is compromised, it鈥檚 permanent. You鈥檙e smart to be proactive instead of reactive.

Founding member
Wireless earbuds for me on long rides but listen to my Chieftain's sound system on in-town riding (stock pipes). I'd much prefer listening to music than the wind (or engine or especially exhaust). Your neighbors and fellow riders would also likely prefer you choosing quieter pipes, too.

Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started riding again after 25 years of taking a break. Back then I rode a Yamaha SECA 750, stock exhaust, tall windshield and no helmet. I was in my mid 20's. I do not remember the noise ever bothering me.

Now 25 years later, I get a Scout, 3/4 helmet and V&H Twin Slash pipes. Holy Moly! I am so overly stimulated between the noice of the wind and pipes.

Is it just my age? Or does the helmet with no windshield contribute to higher noise levels. I finally upgraded to a 20 inch windshield and that helped a lot. But those pipes!!!

Registered
2019 Roadmaster
I would always wear foam earplugs when traveling on my Yamaha Roadstar. The pipes were a lot louder and the wind protection less than my Indian Roadmaster.

I've only done one small trip on my Roadmaster so far (200 miles.) I didn't wear earplugs, and even with the radio pumping tunes the overall volume seemed to be much lower than the Yamaha.

I will probably continue to wear plugs for longer trips. We'll see.

Rider
Disposable ones like these:

Font Automotive parking light Cuisine Food Electric blue

Amazon has 100 pair for $25. More than I'll ever need in my life.

BTW, I do trim the plugs so that they are somewhat flush.

BD

Registered
Ear canals are different sizes. Find ones that fit correctly.
They should seal up completely, and should not cause discomfort.
You shouldn鈥檛 re-use disposable ear plugs. They can cause ear infections if they鈥檙e dirty.

Registered
I wear Eargasm slide earplugs on long road trips. I don鈥檛 bother with them around town. They have a filter with two settings. The filters block wind noise and decrease the exhaust drone while allowing me to hear the radio and cars around me. They really do an excellent job blocking the loud noise from tractor trailer tires on the interstate As well.
One setting is a 15db noise reduction and the other is a 22db reduction. I can adjust them on the fly while riding. The 15db setting allows some wind noise to come through and the 22db setting blocks all the wind noise even with my windshield in the lowest position. The filter is reusable forever (or until they wear out some day), and the foam ear tips are disposable. The tips are $5 each and last a few months. This is the best solution I have found to block ambient noise and still allow me to hear my radio and traffic around me.
I tried foam plugs and didn鈥檛 like the fact that I couldn鈥檛 hear things around me, and the sound I did hear was muddy and muffled. These are made for musicians who want to hear all the nuances of their music, but at a lower volume.
I can hear the radio at highway speeds and the sound is clear and crisp with my half helmet. It is the only solution I found that allows me to hear the things I want in high fidelity and not hear the ambient noise I don鈥檛 want to hear.
The tips come in 3 sizes and 2 styles so one should work for everyone. I Prefer the medium foam tips.

Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster
Tinnitus isn鈥檛 fun and you only get one set of ears - so in my opinion it鈥檚 worth protecting them with wearing ear plugs when riding. The people I know who have lost hearing, must wear hearing aids now, or suffer from tinnitus- all wish they could go back in time and wear the ear plugs!

Registered
2022 Indian Roadmaster
I've been wearing Softvox.
I find them very comfortable for all day use. I've had them in for as long as 12 hours without pain.
I also have a Pack Talk Bold on my Shoei J-Cruise II. I can still hear the music and or com conversation thru the helmet speakers.

Registered
Tinnitus isn鈥檛 fun and you only get one set of ears - so in my opinion it鈥檚 worth protecting them with wearing ear plugs when riding. The people I know who have lost hearing, must wear hearing aids now, or suffer from tinnitus- all wish they could go back in time and wear the ear plugs!
Being born with it is interesting. I didn鈥檛 find out until I was like 40 that other people didn鈥檛 hear that constant whine. It鈥檚 almost like a crystal glass that鈥檚 been thumped. My hearing is perfect, but yeah tinnitus is that constant companion. I guess if you don鈥檛 have it do whatever you can to not get it.

Registered
I wore ear plugs--several different types that I used when going to the gun range--when I had a Road Glide with Rinehart mufflers. They were loud! Then a later Road Glide and now my Challenger, exhaust sounds off good at WOT but even then ear plugs not necessary.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts