Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Who you be interested in an E85 conversion kit if one was available?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 88.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new. I have messaged a few of you privately and mostly lurked around the forum. I know from reading many of the posts in the scout section that a few of you have fuel controllers, and I have wondered if any one has though about doing a conversion on their scout to make it E85 capable, so it could run both standard fuels as well as E85?

I have attached a poll to see if any one would even be interested in this as a possible after market feature, I am in no way related to any one who would provide this I have just done this as I have seen a few venders on the forum and teh more feed back data we give the more likely we are to get features.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Where I live I need to travel 40 minutes out of my way to get E85. I tried it one time in my truck, the cost was about $.05/gallon less and my mileage decreased by 20%. So I suppose the next survey will be do we need larger fuel tanks now that we have e85 conversion kits

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You get more power out of E85 but the mileage per gallon drops quite a bit. With the Scout's little tank I'm not so sure it's a good idea but for commuters it might be a good deal.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
It seems a retro step to me. But I will admit I don't know what E85 is. I am picking Ethenol? Yes you may get more power but a marked decrease in fuel efficiency? Why would that be good for commuters?
Alpal

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
But all that aside, Welcome Tombsmen! If you have been checking us out as a guest, you have to know this is by far the best motorcycle forum ever placed on the Internet. You will learn heaps, laugh heaps, yes and sometimes anger heaps too but it's all in the fun and joy of the show. And if you have been watching you will no doubt know what my next two questions are gonna be!

Come on Buddy! Tell us the colour of your Scout and the Vin number! ( just can't help myself)
Alpal

PS you do have a Scout, yeah?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems a retro step to me. But I will admit I don't know what E85 is. I am picking Ethanol? Yes you may get more power but a marked decrease in fuel efficiency? Why would that be good for commuters?
Alpal
I guess closer to the pumps, for me I would have to have it shipped in by the drum. Yes E85 is Ethanol.

·
Silver member
3,389 Posts
E85 is not for me. It's like a whiskey and water with double the water and an upcharge. I like pure gas better than the 10% crap that is being shoved down our throats so naturally I'd hate E85 even more.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But all that aside, Welcome Tombsmen! If you have been checking us out as a guest, you have to know this is by far the best motorcycle forum ever placed on the Internet. You will learn heaps, laugh heaps, yes and sometimes anger heaps too but it's all in the fun and joy of the show. And if you have been watching you will no doubt know what my next two questions are gonna be!

Come on Buddy! Tell us the colour of your Scout and the Vin number! ( just can't help myself)
Alpal

PS you do have a Scout, yeah?
It was -21°c here the other day, I arranged for my scout to come in the spring to avoid winter storage I'm smart like that, I'm not so smart in that I helped my father fill my garage with vending machines today so now I have no where to put my bike when it does arrive. Also I went with Indian Red as that is the only colour the ABS model comes in, plus really come on it seems sacrilegious to get an Indian in any other colour.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
It was -21°c here the other day, I arranged for my scout to come in the spring to avoid winter storage I'm smart like that, I'm not so smart in that I helped my father fill my garage with vending machines today so now I have no where to put my bike when it does arrive. Also I went with Indian Red as that is the only colour the ABS model comes in, plus really come on it seems sacrilegious to get an Indian in any other colour.
Oh Yes! I can see I'm gonna like you Buddy! You know they go faster than any of the other scouts? And ABS Brakes! You will love them in an emergency. Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Vin number?
Alpal

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am quite averse to any ethanol blend. Mechanics I have spoken to consider it a boon to their industry. It tends to dry out rubber seals, glands etc and leaks result.

Ethanol is more highly oxidised than petrol - i.e. the same volume of ethanol produces less heat and less energy than the equivalent volume of petrol Therefore, fuel economy is lower. Likewise the power output is lower.

And as for the environmental impact, it releases more CO2 than does petrol. So if you are thinking of switching for environmental reasons, don't. Take a look at how the ethanol has been sourced. If it is from purpose grown crops, then the environmental damage done is compounded as the energy required to produce it exceeds the energy produced. If it comes from by products of other processes then go for it.

Economically, every litre used is costing the tax payer. Scientifically illiterate politicians are fond of subsidising ludicrous schemes such as this.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am quite averse to any ethanol blend. Mechanics I have spoken to consider it a boon to their industry. It tends to dry out rubber seals, glands etc and leaks result.

Ethanol is more highly oxidised than petrol - i.e. the same volume of ethanol produces less heat and less energy than the equivalent volume of petrol Therefore, fuel economy is lower. Likewise the power output is lower.

And as for the environmental impact, it releases more CO2 than does petrol. So if you are thinking of switching for environmental reasons, don't. Take a look at how the ethanol has been sourced. If it is from purpose grown crops, then the environmental damage done is compounded as the energy required to produce it exceeds the energy produced. If it comes from by products of other processes then go for it.

Economically, every litre used is costing the tax payer. Scientifically illiterate politicians are fond of subsidising ludicrous schemes such as this.
Q: It tends to dry out rubber seals, glands etc and leaks result.
A: Yup, will damage any plastics or rubbers that are not designed for its use.

Q: The same volume of ethanol produces less heat and less energy than the equivalent volume of petrol.
A: Yup, absolutely. They actually discount E85 in Australia due to the lowered mileage & power/volume.

Q: As for the environmental impact, it releases more CO2 than does petrol.
A: Yup, from all my research this is correct.

The only reason I would see to do the conversion would be the power.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,336 Posts
10% Ethanol is my limit .. Don't even like the 10% but can live with it, any above that forget it .. Could give me an 85% percent Kit and would just give it away to someone that's interested.. I'm Not ..

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only reason I would see to do the conversion would be the power.
Where is this power coming from? My understanding is that E85 will produce LESS power in stock engines. HOWEVER, due to its octane equivalence (not a scientific term), you can really crank up the boost on a turbo/super-charged engine, and make more power when running E85. I believe naturally aspirated motors do not benefit in any way from E85.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had ethanol destroy some injects on a nice Nissan Z that I bought from a man in Houston. The repair was expensive plus it was obvious at any Texas Gas Station you never know what % of ethanol mix is in the fuel.

New vehicles do well but I really wouldn't go out of my way (as I would have to) for E85 for an Indian or any other vehicle unless it was the only fuel available 200 miles from nowhere.

·
Founding Member
427 Posts
Keep that crap gas out of any motorcycle!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Other than the fact it's a little rare around places I think it's a great idea. 105 octane straight out of the pump and burns cleaner.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I agree with Jay. I don't mind running 10% when traveling, certainly when I know the bike won't be sitting long. If I see 100% gas/10% ethanol stations side/side, I pick 100% gas all the time. Hell, it's also about 10% more efficient. 85% too few/far between and too harsh for MY liking...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Other than the fact it's a little rare around places I think it's a great idea. 105 octane straight out of the pump and burns cleaner.
Oddly enough I was watching Leno's garage and he had a couple guys on with a Natural Gas powered car on and they were saying that was like 120-130 octane and really clean burning, but my concern would be riding around with a tank of that between my legs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts