Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the refining industry now over 40 years, saw the phase out of lead in gasoline witnessed the destruction of countless carburetors with the addition of ethanol to the gasoline pool. The EPA's mandate to force 15% ethanol at the pump can only mean more destruction of small engine vehicles, especially with the idea that this can be controlled at the pump. Too many things happen that we don't see at delivery and are small enough not to matter, with increased ethanol we will likely see more problems unless we can stop the EPA from starting this mandate. Con AGra and Archer Daniels Midland are the big corn lobby on this, so call your reps and let them know what you think.

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
It does wonders on outboards as well. It's mind Boggling that they are pushing this knowing that it is an inferior product. I'm in the save the environment industry, but it's not always black and white. And this is gray

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
E-15 Passes and will find a way around it at least Locally if Have to Install my own Tanks at Home Have 5 Vehicles and can add Saddle Tanks to them if need be .. Technically can use E-15 on the Scout but figure 10% is all I want on it .. If Look at the Picture Correctly another 5% is a 50% Increase in Ethanol .. It's either Find another Option or Sell my other 2 Bikes which are 10% Max ..

·
Bronze member
2,101 Posts
Hopefully the new administration will follow up on their promise to reign in the environmental nazis. 10% is bad enough. 15 % could mean you'll be getting a notice from your vehicle manufacturer that your warranty will be void if you use this crap. Azzhats. It's all about money power and control. These people don't really give a crap about the environmet. It's just a rallying cry to hide their true agenda. That corn should be used to feed people who are starving. Not make fuel that lessons economy.

Reactions: quibble

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
We have catalytic converters and cow urine to clean emissions. Maybe they need to focus on that type of science and not ethanol. My opinion, of course

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That's what you get when you allow our government to be bought and sold like pigs going to market by special interest groups. It ain't about you and me and what's best for our country, it's all about money changing hands and big money butt sucking each other.

·
Bronze member
2,101 Posts
While the corn used for ethanol is not edible, it can still be used for better things other than ruining our engines all in the myth of clean emissions. Jack Daniels can buy it.
If it's not edible for us I'm sure the livestock wouldn't care.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ethanol in fuel is just bad for everyone but the big AG companies. It ruins fuel system components, it lowers fuel economy, it shortens oil change intervals, and the stink it makes before the cat heats up kinda clues you in it ain't that clean burning.Oh, and farmland to grow this shit corn is rising to new highs in price to where we are clearing trees off of low yield abandoned farm fields beginning a reversal in the trend of reforesting a good portion of our state. Amazing what government subsidy can do. And none of it good for the environment.
We should be sinking the money in synthetic fuel research to make very high grade clean burning fuels. Hauling energy around as liquid chemical is the best we have done.
Corn is a curse the way we use it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just saw that Trump is looking to cut EPA funding by 20%. He needs to stand up to this waste of taxpayer dollars on ethanol fuels. It takes far more energy and causes more environmental damage to grow corn & make ethanol than it is to drill and refine oil from the ground. That doesn't even take into account the damage it does to our engines.
Not to mention that ethanol is a more highly oxidised substance than petrol and therefore produces less energy per litre (or gallon). You burn more of the stuff to go the same distance and suffer poorer fuel economy.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,094 Posts
Obama was a big backer of this. The people that make that crap gets government to help with to cost so it can make a profit. This is a rip off for the tax payers and farmers that have to pay more for their animal feed driving up the cost to the consumers again.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
I have never heard any good points of E-10 or higher that convinced me there is anything positive for adding Ethanol ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aspire to inspire before you expire
191 Posts
It's welfare for Iowa, and which state has the first caucus? So all the presidential candidates say they are for ethanol. Only exception was Ted Cruz.

·
Silver member
3,583 Posts
Watch and see California will be the first to buy into this crap.

·
Diamond member
9,094 Posts
Yup. They are buying up all the farms, and using them for storage basically.. Completely changing the ability to be a farmer.
I think it's completely crazy to think about using this as fuel.. as been said, its far from ideal. this farm land could be used for better purpose. (Like growing our own food)..Not an expert farmer, but to me, it make no sense to grow bad fuel, and import bad food?!
I will say this. I think as a fuel, that it's less efficient, but that I'd also be willing to bet, by the time it's brought to market as the inefficient fuel, it took more energy and produced plenty of "pollutants" to get there.. not the answer. IMO
Just like batteries are not either..
Just check out how much energy and chemicals it takes to bring Prius batteries to market!

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
Just check out how much energy and chemicals it takes to bring Prius batteries to market!
If you want to pop a Prius owner's balloon just point out that approx. 20% of the value in a new car is the cost of the energy to produce it.

In the case of Japanese made cars the energy used is often coal based.

So, $6-8,000 worth of coal (or thereabouts) in every Prius.

WD./

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I love Ethenol. It's super high octane and clean burn two of many benefits. The Ethenol isn't the problem in my opinion. It's something they blend it with. You guys can say what you want but my experience is this. My Maverick has a carburetor I built for e85 on it. In 7 years i haven't taken the bowls off the carb or ran cleaner through it or even drained it when it sits between October to april. I only put a 1000 miles or so a year on it. With the being said. My weedeter uses e10 and needs a carb after a couple years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts