Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Power Commander 5 on my Challenger. I am not interested in getting rid of the speed limiter or gaining more power. The bike goes faster than I need to go now and has more power then I need. I got the PC5 to make the engine run smoother and better, which it does. It idles smoother and the "jerkiness" it had at low throttle openings is basically gone. My bike is in stock configuration, no mods and will not do anything with the engine other than the PC5. I have around 300 miles on the PC5 so far. For some, this is a waste of time and money since it didn't really increase power or speed, but for me it accomplished what I wanted it to do. Installation is fairly easy and straight forward. I got mine from DynoJet for $319.00, a little spendy, but I've spent more money and gotten less on other things so for me, I consider this a win! So if your looking to just have your bike run better overall, give it a try, don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how did you make it smoother with dynojet
It never idled smooth, to me it seemed like the engine would "stumble", for the lack of a better word, at idle. It no longer does that. It runs easier/smoother through out the RPM range. The map installed on the PC5 for a standard Challenger(no mods) works better than what Indian programed it with. Getting the correct amount of fuel helps quite a bit I would image.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just ordered the PCV also. Like you, I dont really care about the speed thing. I do have cat delete and pipes though. Since indian wanted to charge me $300 for a stage 1 calibration, I figured for about the same price, I could go this route, and it will be better and more specific to my bike, and not the EPA.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
We look forward to your results!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also interested to hear more feedback on the off-idle flat spot that I feel with my bike with just slip-ons.

I'm torn between putting up with it for another couple of months and see if PowerCommander comes out with something over the winter or biting the bullet and buying the PCV.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am happy with the PCV so far. I did my pipes and cat delete right after purchase, so I may have lost some HP there and never really noticed it. But, it feels like the PCV got any lost HP back. When I was first able to get on the throttle after install ( in standard mode), I had to check that it was actually in standard mode. I thought it somehow switched to sport mode. There was a noticeable difference to me. I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,132 Posts
Amost immediately after I installed the new Dynojet PCV the engine cuts-off about every 35 to 45 miles. I believe I understand why it's doing this due to the tuning going in and out of loop but it's also creating a dangerous situation. I need to get to the bottom of this issue and I need either Dynojet to step-up with a fix or I may have to remove the Dynojet PCV and possibly ask for a refund. The dealership hasn't found any codes or issue that would point to engine or ECU problems so this leads me to believe it has to be the PCV causing the engine to shut down or it its possibly the tune. Anyone else here have this problem after installing a Power Commander 5 for the Challenger?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do you recall what map you loaded? Could be a map issue. if you didn't do any mods to your bike, and there isn't a map that matches your setup, then just do an autotune on the PC5. Ride it for a few hundred miles to allow it to tune based on riding style and engine response.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
4 Posts
I installed the Power Commander 5 on my Challenger. I am not interested in getting rid of the speed limiter or gaining more power. The bike goes faster than I need to go now and has more power then I need. I got the PC5 to make the engine run smoother and better, which it does. It idles smoother and the "jerkiness" it had at low throttle openings is basically gone. My bike is in stock configuration, no mods and will not do anything with the engine other than the PC5. I have around 300 miles on the PC5 so far. For some, this is a waste of time and money since it didn't really increase power or speed, but for me it accomplished what I wanted it to do. Installation is fairly easy and straight forward. I got mine from DynoJet for $319.00, a little spendy, but I've spent more money and gotten less on other things so for me, I consider this a win! So if your looking to just have your bike run better overall, give it a try, don't think you'll be disappointed.
Did you buy this from DynoJet or FuelMoto or who?. I too am interested in smoothing out low throttle and do not care about going over 110 mph

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have bought my products from Fuel Moto. They will preload your exhaust intake and stage flash into the unit before it ships and will offer support after the sale.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dynojet typically asks you to look for your bike and mod combinating on the web and download it to your PC5 with the supplied cable. If I am wrong on either of these points feel free to correct me. If you dont like Jamies choice you can call or just go on the Dynojet website and override it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you buy this from DynoJet or FuelMoto or who?. I too am interested in smoothing out low throttle and do not care about going over 110 mph
I bought mine from Dynojet, $319 with free shipping. Had to take my bike in for some warranty work, so paranoid me removed the PC5 so the dealership would not void my warranty. I have a very good dealership in Action Motorsports of Mandan ND. I really don't think there would have been a problem but wanted to avoid any hassles. Re-installed it in about 20 minutes and its running great. I personally recommend the PC5, but since they have the ECM reflash, the world is your oyster, choose wisely my friends!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
It never idled smooth, to me it seemed like the engine would "stumble", for the lack of a better word, at idle. It no longer does that. It runs easier/smoother through out the RPM range. The map installed on the PC5 for a standard Challenger(no mods) works better than what Indian programed it with. Getting the correct amount of fuel helps quite a bit I would image.
I’m interested in the results you achieved with the PC5. My only complaint about my 2021 Challenger with 5k miles is the flat spot when the engine first comes off idle. It also appears when you’re going down a steep hill with the throttle closed. If you just slightly open the throttle, the engine will pop and jerk. It quits with a slight increase in the throttle opening or returning the throttle to idle. All other throttle opening result in perfect performance. If I can get rid of the stumble, I’d be 100% satisfied with my bike. I’ll definitely buy one of these PC5 if it cures this problem. The Lloydz reflash is $599 plus shipping both ways. I’m not at all interested in any performance enhancements. My engine and exhaust are completely stock and I intend to keep it that way. If I had a desire to go 185 mph, I’d of bought a jap bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m interested in the results you achieved with the PC5. My only complaint about my 2021 Challenger with 5k miles is the flat spot when the engine first comes off idle. It also appears when you’re going down a steep hill with the throttle closed. If you just slightly open the throttle, the engine will pop and jerk. It quits with a slight increase in the throttle opening or returning the throttle to idle. All other throttle opening result in perfect performance. If I can get rid of the stumble, I’d be 100% satisfied with my bike. I’ll definitely buy one of these PC5 if it cures this problem. The Lloydz reflash is $599 plus shipping both ways. I’m not at all interested in any performance enhancements. My engine and exhaust are completely stock and I intend to keep it that way. If I had a desire to go 185 mph, I’d of bought a jap bike.
If you are interested in the PC5, I'll sell you mine. When the reflash came out, I did send my ECU in to Lloydz to get it. In all honesty, I feel the reflash is superior to the PC5. While the PC5 did smooth out the idle and made the bike "smoother", the reflash just does it better, it starts better, the lag is pretty well an ancient memory, mpg is better, will average45-50 mpg at 65-70 mph, and I guess the speedlimiter is now set higher like 130 or so. Could be wrong, but don't think is was removed completely, just top mph was increased. If wrong somebody can give the correct answer. My bike is also completely stock, and at times will still scare the s--t out of me. And I have 15,000 miles on her. The lady does have power! While I agree we shouldn't have to be buying a reflash/PC5 to get a $30,000 bike to run the way it should from factory, at least there are ways now to do so. The only problem with the reflash is if I take the bike in for some work I have to tell them not to flash it or I'll lose the one from Lloydz, and just as not throw $650-$700 out the window.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you want to smooth out the bottom/idle area with a stock bike you can do that with tbe PC5. If you add the stage 1 flash for both mufflers and intake, you can get a more robust midrange and a little more top end runout. The flash doesnt seem to fix the low end u iversally. Plus the amount of backpressure in the pipe effects the engine stall/idle issue either better or worse. If you add stage 2 cams, the PC5 can add richness to your top end which it needs with the stage 2 flash..But, the reason most dont need it is because tthe cams are all midrange. Unfortunately, the bench tune can easily create the same midrange boost for the price of the cams without install. Then you pay an additional 8-14 hours labor to your local indian shop at as much as $130/hour shop labor. And you still have that 110 mph speed limiter. My bike has Tab mufflers, stage 1 intake (which does nothing for power), and was bench tuned by someone other than Lloyds, but accomplished the same thing. I have gone 140, but there was still another 5-10 mph left if i had the nerve or desire to stay at that speed for another mile. But if it had an aerodynamic fairing like a real sport cruiser, it would go faster. I know this because i have a couple sport bikes in my garage and i cruise around at 110, then tuck in under the windscreen and the speed increases by at least 10 mph without touching the throttle. At 140, it is pretty much unlimited but it weighes 400 lbs vs. 830 lbs on my Challenger, not counting the removable backrest/sissy bar with a leather T Bag load with stuff. The only place I've opened up the Challenger on was a multiday trip and I went 140 fully loaded. FYI, my bike was 1 or 2 test bikes that were bench flashed. The other had the stage 2 cams and a Rinehart 2-1 pipe, and it made 2 more hp than mine. Power is no longer an issue and my bike has less than 3 months of warranty left.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts