Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Mgg ....sounds like you need to completely perform the throttle adaption procedure, if you have not. Also it has been well proven the possibility of the throttle bodies are NOT synchronized, not mount of flashing or tuning will provide a remedy. Feel free to call my shop 954-455-9665 .

RACNRAY
What is the complete throttle adaption procedure?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is some great info in this tread. I seen on a F/B page a person had a Lloyds tune and said he was not impressed... someone asked him if he had the STG1 one flash first and he didn't. My question is why would the STG1 flash help if the Lloyds tune flashes over it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My question is why would the STG1 flash help if the Lloyds tune flashes over it?
It wouldn't. The aftermarket tune clears the stock or stage one and loads its own goodies. It's a mixed bag of reviews, some love it, some don't. You will never please everyone with a caned tune because different people are looking for different things.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is some great info in this tread. I seen on a F/B page a person had a Lloyds tune and said he was not impressed... someone asked him if he had the STG1 one flash first and he didn't. My question is why would the STG1 flash help if the Lloyds tune flashes over it?
I have Lloyds tune and it made a nice difference but it's not perfect. Since I was experiencing a fair amount of ignition knock from half throttle on when I got the ECU back, they are going to reflash the ECU for me once I ship it back to them. Right now, we keep setting record highs (or coming real close) for December so I am still riding regularly. If/when winter shows up, I'll pull it and send it in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had the Lloyds tune applied four months ago and while it did make a significant improvement, earlier today I purchased the DJ tune. Between the timing knock on hard acceleration and occasional low end jerkiness, I thought I would try the other option - obviously not available in August. I did recently remove the cat and when completing the order form, I selected the full two into two exhaust option. I felt it was the best option from the limited exhaust options. I have no worries the tune will be fine going that route.

·
Bronze member
1,948 Posts
Copied off of a Challenger F/B page......lloyd posted.....

We've gone through our tunes, revised them and made them better then the Dynojet, at Dynojets release they may have had a smoother tune but not anymore.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@Mgg ....sounds like you need to completely perform the throttle adaption procedure, if you have not. Also it has been well proven the possibility of the throttle bodies are NOT synchronized, not mount of flashing or tuning will provide a remedy. Feel free to call my shop 954-455-9665 .

RACNRAY
Ray, is it necessary to perform the adaptation procedure each and every time you have an ECU download?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ray, is it necessary to perform the adaptation procedure each and every time you have an ECU download?
Not answering for Ray but I am going to again once I get my ECU back in a couple of days from its second flash. It's easy and only takes a few minutes. Probably not a bad thing to do every once in a while just for good measure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Drod,

Really helpful review brother!

GB from the land down under

Ok folks, my ECU came in yesterday. Today was test day.

As mentioned earlier, I had decided to try out the Dynojet ECU flash. We know there's already a lot of positive chatter out there on the Lloydz flash, with very few issues being reported. So my thought was to try something new. Obviously if it doesn't work, one can always just reflash with something else. First, this is not a Lloydz vs Dynojet comparison. My bike has never been flashed by Lloydz but we all know their reputation when it comes to improving performance.

Dynojet is also famous for making performance enhancing products so any ECU flash by them should not be taken lightly.
For $499, which includes shipping your ECU to/from their lab, it's actually not a bad deal. I shipped my ECU Tuesday morning, they received in Wed, flashed that same day, and overnighted my ECU for Thursday morning delivery. Friday (today) was my test day. Before I get into the details I want to first introduce my bike's current setup and riding characteristics.

• 2020 Challenger Dark Horse
  • Freedom Performance 2into1 turnout side dump exhaust (no cat)
  • Indian PowerPlus Stage 1 air intake
  • Indian Stage 1 ECU tune (included with air intake kit)
  • Stock cam
  • Everything else pictured on the bike are misc/cosmetic mods which are not relevant here (but I will post info below for those interested)

My Challenger's profile before the DJ Performance flash

• As noted bike has a 2into1 full exhaust, no cat. The engine seems to breathe better with the full exhaust. I originally had the Tab Performance with cat delete and zombie baffles but I wanted something a bit more aggressive so I opted for a 2into1 setup. There's a reason I bring this up...
  • Before doing the Indian Stage 1 Air Intake and Stage 1 ECU flash, the bike backfired once or twice when shifting and slowing down from higher speeds/RPMs. Obviously this is result of removing the cat and not having it tuned to compensate for it. Most folks may find it perfectly normal to get a little backfire from time to time, and it's even more common in the Harley world, but I'd like a more smoother transition so I decided to get the Indian Stage 1 air intake kit that came with a Stage 1 tune. Once doing so, the backfiring was gone.
  • The bike shifts smoothly. There is no noticeable hard clunk like others have stated. My Harley Breakout, on the other hand, has a noticeable solid clunk which is pretty normal for those bikes.
  • The throttle, well that's a different story. There is the known hesitation in the first 1/4 turn. Not a major issue once you get used to it but it's definitely there.
  • Throttle lag becomes more noticeable whenever I attempt to blip the throttle in order to rev match/down shift when riding more aggressively, a practice I do on all my performance bikes coming from the sportbike/track day world. Rev matching helps me to upshift/downshift smoother and faster. Especially helpful when slowing down for a fast turn. On the Challenger, rev matching is a bit tricky. I have to "preload" the throttle in order to compensate for the early throttle lag but once you get it right, the bike continues to be a pleasure to ride.
  • The bike also has the infamous jerkiness that everyone talks about. This is noticeable in lower speeds riding around traffic. I do ride in Sport mode all of the time. Rain mode only when it rains, and I really don't use Standard. (the jerkiness is a little less noticeable in Standard mode.)
  • The bike has never stalled on me before in the year plus of getting the Challenger. That changed last weekend when the bike decided to stall for the first time as I was slowing down and downshifting for a right hand turn. The engine completely cut off midway through the turn but I was able to restart it in gear and exit the turn without losing much momemtum. Throttle lag was obviously the culprit and the deciding factor in me now wanting an ECU flash.
  • All in all, the bike is a beast to ride, very manageable but obviously there is room for improvement. In my case, the throttle lag, and the jerkiness at low speeds is all I really need to address. Yes there is a 112/113mph speed limiter that I have hit a few times but honestly, who really needs to go that much faster on these bikes. The Challenger is fast but it's no sportbike.

My Challenger after Dynojet's ECU flash

Now for the fun part. I couldn't wait to put the ECU back in the bike after waiting two days for it. Within minutes (20min to reinstall the frikin thing!) I had the bike fired up and heading to the open road. I quickly checked diagnostics to see if there were any error msg, codes or whatnot. Nothing on the screen and no check engine lights. All good. After warming up the bike I checked for any throttle lag. Wow! nothing. zilch, nada. Immediate response. Cool!
Took it around town and made a mental note to check for any fluctuations or jerkiness. Nothing. Smooth as silk. No forward sudden lunges. Too smooth I thought to myself. I must be in Standard mode. Checked, nope i'm still in Sport mode. Great job Dynojet. Those two things alone more than justify the cost of the flash.

Hit the twisty backroads and attempted to rev match while downshifting for turns. No problems there. Seems to respond well.
At higher speeds the bike seemed to rev higher and felt a bit stronger. (note: I did select the additional 500rpm option that DJ offered in their package) I was skeptical but the extra 500rpms seems to make a little difference. The bike continues to pull strong but not in an angry way. It is a smoother, more consistent pull that continues all the way to redline.

Engine sounds the same. No knocking or pinging noises. Didn't have it before, don't have it now. Same exhaust note, which is great.

Final test. On the highway I navigated to a section that gave me a few miles of straigtaway just to see if they actually removed the speed limiter. 80mph came quick, then 90mph, 100mph, 110mph, 115mph, 120, 125+mph and then I started to back off as I quickly remembered I'm no longer 17 years old. The bike felt solid and had plenty more to give. As DJ stated in their email to me earlier today. The limiter is gone. Dynojet also stated there would be an increase of 10-15% in hp/tq. Honestly with the new smoothness of the bike, I can't really tell. I'll need to get it dyno tested when I install the dynojet quickshifter later on.

On my way back home I had an ear to ear grin. In summary, the Dynojet Performance ECU flash did what it was supposed to do.
It addressed the throttle lag I had, it made the bike smoother to ride, it allowed me to rev match, and it eliminated the speed limiter. As far as I'm concerned, Dynojet hit it out of the park. For those looking to get the most bang for the buck look no further than one of these ECU flashes. You can't go wrong with either Lloydz or Dynojet. For me, the DJ ECU flash was a no brainer. In the future I may do a Lloydz stage 2 cam but honestly with the current setup, the way it performs now, there really isn't much of a need to do so. Hope you guys enjoyed reading this!

Below is a list of the misc/cosmetic upgrades as promised
  • PSR adjustable levers
  • Arlen Ness mini stocker billet mirrors
  • TLC engine guards
  • FMB 14" bars
  • Indian heated grips
  • Klockwerks 8" tinted shield
  • Custom Dynamics LED saddlebag lights
  • Saddlemen StepUp seat
  • Backoff third brake light flasher
  • Indian PowerBand Audio 6.5 100watt fairing speaker upgrade
  • Eagle Lights LED Halo headlight
  • Original Garage floorboards, shift/brake pegs

View attachment 654558

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok folks, my ECU came in yesterday. Today was test day.

As mentioned earlier, I had decided to try out the Dynojet ECU flash. We know there's already a lot of positive chatter out there on the Lloydz flash, with very few issues being reported. So my thought was to try something new. Obviously if it doesn't work, one can always just reflash with something else. First, this is not a Lloydz vs Dynojet comparison. My bike has never been flashed by Lloydz but we all know their reputation when it comes to improving performance.

Dynojet is also famous for making performance enhancing products so any ECU flash by them should not be taken lightly.
For $499, which includes shipping your ECU to/from their lab, it's actually not a bad deal. I shipped my ECU Tuesday morning, they received in Wed, flashed that same day, and overnighted my ECU for Thursday morning delivery. Friday (today) was my test day. Before I get into the details I want to first introduce my bike's current setup and riding characteristics.

• 2020 Challenger Dark Horse
  • Freedom Performance 2into1 turnout side dump exhaust (no cat)
  • Indian PowerPlus Stage 1 air intake
  • Indian Stage 1 ECU tune (included with air intake kit)
  • Stock cam
  • Everything else pictured on the bike are misc/cosmetic mods which are not relevant here (but I will post info below for those interested)

My Challenger's profile before the DJ Performance flash

• As noted bike has a 2into1 full exhaust, no cat. The engine seems to breathe better with the full exhaust. I originally had the Tab Performance with cat delete and zombie baffles but I wanted something a bit more aggressive so I opted for a 2into1 setup. There's a reason I bring this up...
  • Before doing the Indian Stage 1 Air Intake and Stage 1 ECU flash, the bike backfired once or twice when shifting and slowing down from higher speeds/RPMs. Obviously this is result of removing the cat and not having it tuned to compensate for it. Most folks may find it perfectly normal to get a little backfire from time to time, and it's even more common in the Harley world, but I'd like a more smoother transition so I decided to get the Indian Stage 1 air intake kit that came with a Stage 1 tune. Once doing so, the backfiring was gone.
  • The bike shifts smoothly. There is no noticeable hard clunk like others have stated. My Harley Breakout, on the other hand, has a noticeable solid clunk which is pretty normal for those bikes.
  • The throttle, well that's a different story. There is the known hesitation in the first 1/4 turn. Not a major issue once you get used to it but it's definitely there.
  • Throttle lag becomes more noticeable whenever I attempt to blip the throttle in order to rev match/down shift when riding more aggressively, a practice I do on all my performance bikes coming from the sportbike/track day world. Rev matching helps me to upshift/downshift smoother and faster. Especially helpful when slowing down for a fast turn. On the Challenger, rev matching is a bit tricky. I have to "preload" the throttle in order to compensate for the early throttle lag but once you get it right, the bike continues to be a pleasure to ride.
  • The bike also has the infamous jerkiness that everyone talks about. This is noticeable in lower speeds riding around traffic. I do ride in Sport mode all of the time. Rain mode only when it rains, and I really don't use Standard. (the jerkiness is a little less noticeable in Standard mode.)
  • The bike has never stalled on me before in the year plus of getting the Challenger. That changed last weekend when the bike decided to stall for the first time as I was slowing down and downshifting for a right hand turn. The engine completely cut off midway through the turn but I was able to restart it in gear and exit the turn without losing much momemtum. Throttle lag was obviously the culprit and the deciding factor in me now wanting an ECU flash.
  • All in all, the bike is a beast to ride, very manageable but obviously there is room for improvement. In my case, the throttle lag, and the jerkiness at low speeds is all I really need to address. Yes there is a 112/113mph speed limiter that I have hit a few times but honestly, who really needs to go that much faster on these bikes. The Challenger is fast but it's no sportbike.

My Challenger after Dynojet's ECU flash

Now for the fun part. I couldn't wait to put the ECU back in the bike after waiting two days for it. Within minutes (20min to reinstall the frikin thing!) I had the bike fired up and heading to the open road. I quickly checked diagnostics to see if there were any error msg, codes or whatnot. Nothing on the screen and no check engine lights. All good. After warming up the bike I checked for any throttle lag. Wow! nothing. zilch, nada. Immediate response. Cool!
Took it around town and made a mental note to check for any fluctuations or jerkiness. Nothing. Smooth as silk. No forward sudden lunges. Too smooth I thought to myself. I must be in Standard mode. Checked, nope i'm still in Sport mode. Great job Dynojet. Those two things alone more than justify the cost of the flash.

Hit the twisty backroads and attempted to rev match while downshifting for turns. No problems there. Seems to respond well.
At higher speeds the bike seemed to rev higher and felt a bit stronger. (note: I did select the additional 500rpm option that DJ offered in their package) I was skeptical but the extra 500rpms seems to make a little difference. The bike continues to pull strong but not in an angry way. It is a smoother, more consistent pull that continues all the way to redline.

Engine sounds the same. No knocking or pinging noises. Didn't have it before, don't have it now. Same exhaust note, which is great.

Final test. On the highway I navigated to a section that gave me a few miles of straigtaway just to see if they actually removed the speed limiter. 80mph came quick, then 90mph, 100mph, 110mph, 115mph, 120, 125+mph and then I started to back off as I quickly remembered I'm no longer 17 years old. The bike felt solid and had plenty more to give. As DJ stated in their email to me earlier today. The limiter is gone. Dynojet also stated there would be an increase of 10-15% in hp/tq. Honestly with the new smoothness of the bike, I can't really tell. I'll need to get it dyno tested when I install the dynojet quickshifter later on.

On my way back home I had an ear to ear grin. In summary, the Dynojet Performance ECU flash did what it was supposed to do.
It addressed the throttle lag I had, it made the bike smoother to ride, it allowed me to rev match, and it eliminated the speed limiter. As far as I'm concerned, Dynojet hit it out of the park. For those looking to get the most bang for the buck look no further than one of these ECU flashes. You can't go wrong with either Lloydz or Dynojet. For me, the DJ ECU flash was a no brainer. In the future I may do a Lloydz stage 2 cam but honestly with the current setup, the way it performs now, there really isn't much of a need to do so. Hope you guys enjoyed reading this!

Below is a list of the misc/cosmetic upgrades as promised
  • PSR adjustable levers
  • Arlen Ness mini stocker billet mirrors
  • TLC engine guards
  • FMB 14" bars
  • Indian heated grips
  • Klockwerks 8" tinted shield
  • Custom Dynamics LED saddlebag lights
  • Saddlemen StepUp seat
  • Backoff third brake light flasher
  • Indian PowerBand Audio 6.5 100watt fairing speaker upgrade
  • Eagle Lights LED Halo headlight
  • Original Garage floorboards, shift/brake pegs

View attachment 654558
Did you click hi flow on the drop down for the tune having the stage 1 intake ? I am going to get it and that was my only question I don’t want to get it wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I got the dynojet flash done! I am very pleased with the flash, no throttle lag and seems scary fast in sport mode ripping around the city. One thing I must say is dynojet was a pleasure to work with free shipping to Canada and any questions I had were answered quickly. The turn around was 3 days sent it Wednesday was back to me on Friday. Tune I got was 2to1 full exhaust hi flow intake and stock cams +500 rpm. I will take it out for a highway ride tomorrow and really open it up .

221 - 237 of 237 Posts