Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
16,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Sith Life came up with a great idea to get a section going strictly for dyno charts — a single place where you can go to get accurate data on mods that you are either looking at or have made. Because this covers a variety of engines, models, and configurations, we are putting it under “general discussion” pending the tech team creating its own section.

This section is for the posting of dynograph data and your modifications so that other members can build an understanding of how those modifications can affect power output. Please do not post numbers without a dyno printout or providing a full list of modifications. Please title your post with engine size and cam selection as that seems to be the biggest quantifier of power production and then list other mods and tuning method in the posting. This should allow people to easily search by engine size or cam size without having to do an exhaustive search. And lastly, all readers should be aware that dynograph data can be manipulated or misread. The data posted in here should only be used to create broad expectations of how your motor will perform with specific mods.

My thanks to @Sith Life for this idea and for his work on getting these data sheets put together.

·
Rider
861 Posts
Thanks @HINK, as stated once the tech team adds the sub-forum we ask that each post should stick to the “TS111 with S2 cams” (Or whatever you have) title style so it’s easier to search. Once the sub forums are created the admins can move the posts to the appropriate section based on motor size.
Please only post if you have a dyno sheet to share. This will help alleviate the ego factor and hearsay. Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hink, I would let Rylan at Runway (The Vic Shop), LLloyd’s and D&D know about this section! They have data!

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
Implementing "Dyno Chart" stickies in each engine category will certainly make my life easier.. It's not been easy trying to keep all "our" data categorized between my ears..

However, I would suggest modifications in the "rules of the road" in order to achieve the intended outcome.
1. More than a few charts are now gone - disappeared.. I have saved many of them, through the years, and would need to post them myself with the relevant data for each (the original poster may no longer be active, or have them, etc) Other members should be allowed to post charts from sources (that they know about) as well.
2. Some dyno charts are completely useless (I.E. Axis Dyno charts, incomplete charts, "magazine" charts) and can't/shouldn't be used for information gathering. But many (most?) will not know that/this and could be misled. Without some kind of "forum vetting" of posted charts, most will have no way of knowing the informational value of any of them.
3. In order to expand our knowledge of Indian performance enhancements, there should be a way/method of discussing the "particulars" and/or making analysis of any one chart or group of charts.

The tuning on an Indian is the single most important factor in power production. One reason this is so is because the entire "ball of wax" concerning tuning an Indian (with just about ANY mod combo) is still in it's infancy. Our existing data (charts) proves this over and over - big bore kits that make less or similar power to "lesser" builds, Ported heads that make less power than stock heads (with one exception to date), "radical" stage III type builds that make same-as more standard stage III builds, the examples go on and on..

Only a few charts "stand out" from the ever-increasing stack of disappointments.

Most owners will not know anything about the tune on their bike. Most owners will never see their AFR chart from their dyno session. So this piece of the puzzle, regarding any one chart, will usually not be known. This degrades the value of most charts in here.

There is much knowledge to be gained from what we do have, but only if errors are not made - for instance, does anyone really think @Darkhorse88 's well thought-out stage III type build makes less power than a "well sorted" stage II build ? Highly doubtful - but his recently posted chart would have many thinking so !

·
Registered
216 Posts
"There is much knowledge to be gained from what we do have, but only if errors are not made - for instance, does anyone really think @Darkhorse88 's well thought-out stage III type build makes less power than a "well sorted" stage II build ? Highly doubtful - but his recently posted chart would have many thinking so !
I was going to reframe from posting the charts for that exact reason but wanted to get some thoughts from some knowledgeable guys like yourself. Hopefully with in the coming weeks we will have some more data. Most defiantly will be posting mine again to compare, different dyno but certainly won’t be going back there! I also have the AFR charts but didn’t post for the reason they may be incorrect. Says at WOT I’m in the low 10s. I would gladly share them with you and see your thoughts.

·
Rider
861 Posts
As stated in the OP dyno data is for research purposes only as they can be manipulated or misread. If we go off the deep end with this it’ll just confuse everyone who has only a passing interest or less in such things.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
Reactions: Darkhorse88

·
Rider
648 Posts
Because of all the variables with dyno charts, different machines, humidity being different on different days, shops at different elevations, I’ve always thought the best Method is always to do a base line run before any modifications, then do the mods on the same day if possible and dyno it again same day. That way you can see true differences on the bike under exact same conditions. Since all bikes of the same types base line should be Fairly close, this will show true differences, much better than comparing two bikes dynoed across the country on different dynos at different atmospheric conditions.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
Because of all the variables with dyno charts, different machines, humidity being different on different days, shops at different elevations, I’ve always thought the best Method is always to do a base line run before any modifications, then do the mods on the same day if possible and dyno it again same day. That way you can see true differences on the bike under exact same conditions. Since all bikes of the same types base line should be Fairly close, this will show true differences, much better than comparing two bikes dynoed across the country on different dynos at different atmospheric conditions.

@Sith Life , @HINK - the above is a perfect example - and will be "duplicated" tens of thousands of times within our membership..

Correction factors ( CF: SAE, CF:STD, on top right of charts ) completely remove any ambient conditions from the power levels ( humidity, temperature, elevation, etc) .. The "ambients" do NOT affect power charts when a CF is used. A bike dyno'd on a dry mountain top and then in a rainy valley 2 years later will show identical or near identical power curves ( if the dyno operators do their pre-run work correctly..)

P.S. Holding the belief that all dyno charts are "suspect" due to ambients is far better for the member than if he/she were taking charts (at face value) as gospel. The suspicious member will never be "led off the cliff" by a "saweet" chart.

·
Rider
861 Posts
I’m not sure who is explaining what to whom but I’m relatively sure most folks understand basic dyno readings and what affects them. We can go round and round all day long about how it all works or doesn’t work but that is entirely missing the point of this thread. If you want to start a “this is why your dyno chart sucks/is saweet” this isn’t the place for that discussion. That can be talked about in a sub thread in the performance section.
Let’s not assume everyone else is stupid and get the cart in front of the horse. The forum hasn’t even been created yet.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
I’m not sure who is explaining what to whom but I’m relatively sure most folks understand basic dyno readings and what affects them. We can go round and round all day long about how it all works or doesn’t work but that is entirely missing the point of this thread. If you want to start a “this is why your dyno chart sucks/is saweet” this isn’t the place for that discussion. That can be talked about in a sub thread in the performance section.
Let’s not assume everyone else is stupid and get the cart in front of the horse. The forum hasn’t even been created yet.
Buy the time a peep is able to afford the luxury of buying an Indian, I think they have surely attained a high level of competency in some "endeavor" - and certainly would not be "stupid".. But this does not mean that said peeps are also learned in ICE tuning, dynometers, Indian specific caveats, etc..

Just for the record, I am all for compiling dyno data into relevant stickies. I'm just expressing concerns..

Oh, nice post @Darkhorse88 , I like periods (.)...
See ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
victory octane- aeromach slip on, power commander/dyno tuned, s&s intake box. Sorry I don't have a baseline. Just got the email from the dyno guy and thought I'd post. No it isn't a scout but close enough. I would recommend this set up if you want your bike to make more power but not be super loud. It makes good noise but isn't over the top.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts