Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a Trunk for a Springfield. I prefer the look of the Roadmaster Classic Trunk? However, I would like to dye it black to match the bike. Does anyone know or has anyone dyed one of these black?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took a black Viking trunk and dyed it Tan! I used a product called SEM. It's more a paint than a dye. It's used in the Auto Upholstery business to change the color of vinyl and leather.

I'm on my second season and no sign of wear at all.

·
Rider
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That color matches the Indian Leather really well. I was also looking at he viking bag. Do you ride 2-up? How sturdy is it? Does it flex at all?

·
Registered
223 Posts
KnS, find a local Tandy Leather store and get advice on dyeing. Indian advertises their products as "genuine leather" (lowest grade leather available). Many of them, like the bags and seat on my Vintage, have a very thin coating on it to protect from weather and fading. If you venture forth on this, always test on a hidden piece to make sure dye will take. Good luck, DY

·
Registered
66 Posts
No, I don't ride 2-up. The trunk sits on the Indian trunk mount, like that used on the RM. The trunk has a substantial hinge, about 8" long so it
should be solid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts