Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

How do you remove the tank bib on a 2014 chief vintage to dye it.?

• not sure why this is asking me to add poll response

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man That's exactly what I did. Unhooked the back of the bib then slid a wally world bag under it. Thanks again. I am very happy how they came out. I used the Fiebing saddle tan oil base. One coat is all it took. Now I have to put on the resolene protectant. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Thanks man That's exactly what I did. Unhooked the back of the bib then slid a wally world bag under it. Thanks again. I am very happy how they came out. I used the Fiebing saddle tan oil base. One coat is all it took. Now I have to put on the resolene protectant. Thanks again
I used the Fiebing wax to coat mine after staining. Put it on, then lightly heated it with a heat gun, rubbed it down, then re-coated it. Keep in stock after long wet rides or any harsh weather. You will love the results.
Where are the pics

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I get them on the bike I will send if I can. I just finished the second coat of the resolene. One more coat then I will put them on the bike and before spring give it a coat of the leather dressing from Indian.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you provide me the detailed steps you took to dye your leather? I also see that different people are using different methods of finishing such as resolene or wax? If there a preference or a big difference?
Resolene was the product that Fiebing reccomended, There is an excelant video on U tube. That is what I followed. First pour the Fiebing #12 deglazer cleaner on a clean sponge wipe the leather in straight strokes. Do not rub in circular motion. Cover all leather areas wipe off any access and let set for 30 minutes. Apply one coat of Fiebings professional oil dye (saddle tan). Keep sponge moving and blend color do not let a puddle, run, or sploch form. The dye will blend to a uniform color. I only needed one coat and I let it dry overnight. Three coats of Resolene. I used a damp sponge to apply the resolene. Again straight strokes no circular motions and be sure to cover all the leather surface. I waited one hour between coats and over night after the third coat. I put the leather back on the next day. It is not that hard to do. Take your time and you will be amazed. This is the first time I did any dyeing of anything and no one could have done a better job.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Can you provide me the detailed steps you took to dye your leather? I also see that different people are using different methods of finishing such as resolene or wax? If there a preference or a big difference?
Feaungie
Did a good job explaining the steps. I did go back to darken mine in where it needed it. I do not use Resolene, it is an acrylic finish, it can crack when flexed. I recommend you research for yourself because it is a personal choice. I like my leather to breath.
I used the Fiebing Aussie leather conditioner with bees wax. I put it on thick, lightly heated with heat gun, rubbing it in with a soft cloth. I did this three times leaving it alone till the next day. Took clean cloths, wiped down, installed back on bike. This is not hard & your final product will be unique to you, because no dye job will be the same.
I used a mix of Fiebing oil dye British tan, light brown, buckskin equal amounts mixed. Be different
image.jpg image.jpg
This is a leather back pack I bought at estate sale, the lady said from the 30s. She only waxed it over all these years. Great shape, I will stick with wax, my choice.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts