Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
That looks great Gande :)

Reactions: Smokedog

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dyed my leather used feiblings 2/3 golden brown & 1/3 saddle tan! I think it looks great. Took most of the day but worth it! View attachment 3410
Hard to tell from the picture, but how did the color come out versus just using saddle tan, which many others have done? Looks very nice. I haven't yet done mine, but have the supplies. Also, is that a Zambini tank emblem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It does look very good. What product did you use to seal it? How difficult was it to get the Vintage tag off the tank and then apply the new tank emblem?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does look very good. What product did you use to seal it? How difficult was it to get the Vintage tag off the tank and then apply the new tank emblem?
It was easy used fishing line got it between the Indian and. Tank and slid it along used 3m double sided tape

·
Registered
507 Posts
This dying process, will it have to be done on a continual basis, pending how much weather gets to the leather? Once a year?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I dyed my leather used feiblings 2/3 golden brown & 1/3 saddle tan! I think it looks great. Took most of the day but worth it! View attachment 3410
That is beautiful.
But ya put your saddlebag buckles on upside down.
I know cause I did the same thing myself when I dyed mine last time.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
This dying process, will it have to be done on a continual basis, pending how much weather gets to the leather? Once a year?
I dreaded doing it the first time.
When I did it the second time it was because I just enjoyed doing the dye job and how nice they looked when "fresh".

After you see how easy it is to do then you start thinking about different shades and finishes available.....Like fringe a lighter shade with darker lids over medium saddlebags....like that. If you look at pictures of antique bikes you will soon pick up on the fact that old leather was anything but "standard issue".

I used saddle tan oil dye with Tan-Kote sealer. I didn't dye my fringe so the sun bleaching of the original fringe shade is now like a blond color. I don't wanna brag but it is very striking.....Like a big ole rank Palomino stallion.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really don't know playing it by ear just like everyone else only time will tell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts