Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Dust on rear wheel

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Burebista 
#1 ·
After cleaning the rear wheel and driving it for a while there is always a black dust build up. It seems like a bit excessive to me. It can't come from the brake pads, because I don't use the rear brakes very much. Looking at the front wheel there is almost nothing while using mostly the front brake. So it must come from the drive belt.
That dust has been accumulating from the day one I got the bike. At the time I didn't think much of it. Then I did my 500 miles service and the belt needed to be tightened. So I did that to specs and also aligned the wheel such that the belt runs in the center of the rear belt sprocket. The belt does not touch the inside flanges of the rear sprocket.
So what's the deal with that dust build up? I am just wondering if that is normal.
Any of you guys experience that too? Any comments?

#2 ·
I had a heavy dust build-up with small chunks of what appears to be rubber on the right side rear tire. I looked at everything but seen nothing awry. I mentioned this build up on the right side rear tire area only. My dealer, Lone Star Indian, checked everything and adjuster the drive belt but found nothing wrong??

#3 ·
Their putting less metal in the pad and more fiber material. Normally after a few hundred miles it should subside. I went to LRB brakes on my tourglide because of the same reason. Their selling point is they won't make as much dust... Honestly? I can't tell. Check out Lyndall Racing Brakes

#7 ·
Our rear swooped fenders are a vortex for road dust and dirt so we get heavy accumulation on our wheels and tires. Personally I think the rims are magnets to attract dirt:)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.