Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a new black set of fuel and dummy caps, but I'm unable to remove the existing chrome dummy cap. It seems the outer shell just spins. Anyone have any advice on how to remove it??

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried the counter-clockwise turning, but again, it seems the chrome outer shell is the only thing spinning. Thank you for the thread....I was unable to find a thread.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
No worries. sometimes the search don't work for me and I get nothing which sucks.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
When trying to unscrew it may seam like it's not coming off since there are many threads on the stud. Try unscrewing and unscrewing, it should come off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Had the same issue with mine. The thread lock or what ever it was (rust) was so tight that the top of the cap just spun on the bottom one (see picture). I had to take a soft cloth and place it on the tank underneath the dummy cap, I then placed some needle nose pliers under the cap to grab the screw and turn it until it broke loose from the rust. PITA. Getting bike painted so I really didn't care to scratch paint. I didn't. But that's just how I did it. So good luck and be careful if you decided you are going to try it.

In the pic you can see a black cap under the chrome cap. The chrome part will just spin on top of the black part if the screw is rusted stuck.
Bottom of cap.jpg

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
are you trying to be funny?? I would expect better from a gold member....
Nope, not trying to be funny hear. When I took mine off it unscrewed forever as their fine threads and quite a long stud for the application. I wasn't aware that some had thread lock or corrosion on them though sounds like if that's your case than Lumbee has the answer.

I don't know about you expecting better from a gold member... It just means that I donated money to keep the site going.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Nice. I went in on saturday and got a set added to the bike and the guy had it done in less than ten mins. I was like WTH. LOL

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
Nope, not trying to be funny hear. When I took mine off it unscrewed forever as their fine threads and quite a long stud for the application. I wasn't aware that some had thread lock or corrosion on them though sounds like if that's your case than Lumbee has the answer.

I don't know about you expecting better from a gold member... It just means that I donated money to keep the site going.
Well thank you for your support and keeping this forum going! Hats off to you. Have a good day!

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
Sorry someone else may have already said this but the stock cap has a mile of threads. so it takes some twisting to get it off. I took mine off the first day I owned it. I was used to twin tanks and thought I was having issues getting the cap off the first fill up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for the help as well. I had the problem that the bolt was rusted into the threads on the tank. I put down a towel on the tank, then squirted some WD-40 on those threads. Next, I used a long screwdriver to gently pry up the the cap and then slid a pair of long-nosed vise grips underneath the cap to grip onto the black housing around the bolt. Once I got gripped and clicked, I gently turned counter-clockwise and heard the bolt break loose. From there it was simple. Make sure to protect the tank from the tools though. I had to learn to be patient, not rough, and try to out-wit the thing instead of out-muscle it. Thanks again for this help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts