Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another bike beside my Vintage that has a drum type rear brake. How many miles on average would you expect the pads to last?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That depends entirely on you, the rider, and how you ride. Miles mean nothing in the case of any friction material, brakes, clutch, etc. I've seen folks burn up or wear out brakes and clutches in under 1,000 miles, and I've seen folks get well over 100,000 miles out of the same brand parts. Drum brakes should be checked every time the tire is replaced and replaced if they look any where near the wear limit. If they haven't been checked, or you don't know for sure that they have, you should inspect them. It may be necessary to remove the wheel, but it's not that big of a job and you need to be sure of the condition of your brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an 07 VStar 650 with 23k miles and rear drums and they are fine. Depends on a lot of factors I guess. If in doubt, check them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike in question is an 05 with a total of 5400 miles on it. I bought it used and have only put a couple hundred of those miles on it. I should inspect so I know exactly what I’m starting with. Thanks for the responses.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,318 Posts
Although your question said Drums which means your wear would be on your Brake Shoes, which usually lasted at least 10,000, for me anyway .. Least I ever got on Discs is 15,000 and at that time lived in the city with lots of stop and go traffic.. Out in the boonies now and Ride 90% Highway or Interstate miles and always get 40-45,000 Now .. Still depends on how much you brake as well.. Ride as far ahead of yourself as you can see will cut your need to brake considerably ..

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,691 Posts
Yeah, that and using engine braking by downshifting also helps. In many instances I'm already slowed by downshifting before I use the brakes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has the wear indicator which is why I asked. The indicator is pointing to the line on on the drum on forward end of bike. I would think that pads with lots of life left would also be at or near one of those lines. Just not sure which one. As pads wear I would think the indicator would travel between the lines until worn out, and then would point to the opposite line. Not sure if that makes sense, lol.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
It has the wear indicator which is why I asked. The indicator is pointing to the line on on the drum on forward end of bike. I would think that pads with lots of life left would also be at or near one of those lines. Just not sure which one. As pads wear I would think the indicator would travel between the lines until worn out, and then would point to the opposite line. Not sure if that makes sense, lol.
Thats correct. Post a picture. One of the outside lines should be thicker than the rest.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My GUESS is you are fine then. Pretty sure thats what its supposed to do.
Any brake experts out there??
I have the service manual and it doesn’t state which reference line on the drum indicates what. But looking through the pictures in the manual it appears to me the line on the right would indicate a thicker pad is in place than the one on the left.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
I have the service manual and it doesn’t state which reference line on the drum indicates what. But looking through the pictures in the manual it appears to me the line on the right would indicate a thicker pad is in place than the one on the left.
I would think towards the front of bike is getting thinner.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts