Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new models (2) have more sensors than the original giving it much improved Collision Avoidance. Stop it @Marcus , your going to make me open my Christmas gift a month early. Lol!

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Quinn, I researched these things to death (as I do every large purchase). In the end, even though quite pricey, I ask for the new model DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I decided on the Pro over the Zoom for the upgraded Hasselblad Camera.
That Camera has some awesome specs in a very small package.
DJI, has basically taken over the market with their innovation.
Whatever route you go, be sure to get extra batteries. Even with Mavics best in class fly time of 30 min, you'll want to fly longer than that without recharging.
Also, you'll see tons of "bundles" on sites like Amazon. Most are the price of the drone and fly more kit with a bunch more useless crap to get you to buy from them.
Price is controlled by DJI really well.
Highly recommend you buy from an Authorized Reseller as well for warranty reasons.
DJI also sells a crash service in the event you have a hard crash, you ship it to them and they restore it to like new condition.
Thanks @17INDSTL. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro w/ Haselblad camera is exactly what I am seriously considering, for the reasons you mentioned, plus a few more.

Yeah, expensive, but as a serious-amateur photographer, I like the idea of Hasselblad quality and its color technology. I am going to include the extras package, but don't yet see the advantage for the VR goggles. Maybe get those later, if I desire. So, we're talking a $2K investment. As a noob to flying, I'd hate to trash the investment, but I like the "learning" mode it offers. I looked at others, including the GoPro Karma, for the new GoPro Hero 7. But I fear that product will soon be pulled from the marke place. Other products just seemed to be toys that won't last long. Nor am I ready for the Pro models for engineering, surveying and cinematography.

Living in Maryland, I figure I'd have until April to learn the quadcopter until I attempt the tracking of my bike. During that time I can try to be creative in the imaging. Videos of Christmas lighting will be a good test.

One tangent negative - National Park systems have banned the use of drones, so I'll need to figure out a "work around" (or hide-around) when traveling those areas.

Question - any info on defects, issues, etc.? A $500 2-year warranty contract (From Best Buy) is also pricey. But maybe worth it. I got a brand new (and expensive) item by using that option in the past. Maybe the Mavic 2 is too new for such information?

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @17INDSTL. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro w/ Haselbrad camera is exactly what I am seriously considering, for the reasons you mentioned, plus a few more.

Yeah, expensive, but as a serious-amateur photographer, I like the idea of Hasselblad quality and its color technology. I am going to include the extras package, but don't yet see the advantage for the VR goggles. Maybe get those later, if I desire. So, we're talking a $2K investment. As a noob to flying, I'd hate to trash the investment, but I like the "learning" mode it offers. I looked at others, including the GoPro Karma, for the new GoPro Hero 7. But I fear that product will soon be pulled from the marke place. Other products just seemed to be toys that won't last long. Nor am I ready for the Pro models for engineering, surveying and cinematography.

Living in Maryland, I figure I'd have until April to learn the quadcopter until I attempt the tracking of my bike. During that time I can try to be creative in the imaging. Videos of Christmas lighting will be a good test.

One tangent negative - National Park systems have banned the use of drones, so I'll need to figure out a "work around" (or hide-around) when traveling those areas.

Question - any info on defects, issues, etc.? A $500 2-year warranty contract (From Best Buy) is also pricey. But maybe worth it. I got a brand new (and expensive) item by using that option in the past. Maybe the Mavic 2 is too new for such information?
Pertty stable product and company. I dont care for extended warranties. Bought one for my Tundra and never had a need to use it. I apply my own extended warranties to stuff. If it breaks before I feel it should, I never buy that Companies product again.
Go to the FAA website and download the restricted air map. Basically cannot fly within 5 miles without permission. I live just on the edge of 5 miles from Spirit of St Louis Airport. I'll send them a email notification of how high, and how long I intend to fly.
Major airports are off limits period. Where we live, there are several General Aviation airports around so kind of limited.
In addition to National Parks, some states prohibit them in state parks, and some municipalities ban them all together.
Also, download DJIs "B4UFLY" APP. Good maps on there as well showing restricted airspace around wherever you currently are.
The Mavic 2 in my opinion is just the right size. Not to small to be horrible in slow winds, yet compact enough to easily carry with you on hikes AND BIKES.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,022 Posts
I think the VR Goggles are not a good idea. You need to keep your presence visually around you. Learning to fly is easy. Anytime you let go of the joy sticks the Mavic stops and holds its position. So it only moves when you tell it to. There is no drifting. In fact if a 15 mph wind is blowing it will tilt itself and automatically hold its position and of course the camera compensates for the tilt giving you a steady level image all the time. The learning part is all the options available.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the VR Goggles are not a good idea. You need to keep your presence visually around you. Learning to fly is easy. Anytime you let go of the joy sticks the Mavic stops and holds its position. So it only moves when you tell it to. There is no drifting. In fact if a 15 mph wind is blowing it will tilt itself and automatically hold its position and of course the camera compensates for the tilt giving you a steady level image all the time. The learning part is all the options available.
I held off on the VR Goggles until later IF then.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There is an Australian HD rider currently doing a trip from Melbourne to the top of Cape York and then around to Darwin, all on his HD road king. It's totally the wrong bike for the dirt roads up north - used mostly by mining trucks and road trains, but the scenery is remarkable and the photography is pretty good.

He uses a DJI Mavic Pro and has several follow behind shots. He also has shots from ahead but the drone is stationary and he rides towards it. It looks like it doesn't do follow from ahead stuff.

You can chase him up on Youtube under the name of Million Dollar Bogan. I think he's up to video 4.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Okay . . . . now about licensing and registration.
I discovered that I will be required to register a new drone with the FAA. Fine with that.
But are there FAA regulations for getting a sUAS license? I don't think so, if only for recreational use. But I think I it would be required if I were to commercialize the use of, say, a MAVIC 2 for video services, selling images, etc.

Anyone know any different?

Anyone have a sUAS FAA license?

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay . . . . now about licensing and registration.
I discovered that I will be required to register a new drone with the FAA. Fine with that.
But are there FAA regulations for getting a sUAS license? I don't think so, if only for recreational use. But I think I it would be required if I were to commercialize the use of, say, a MAVIC 2 for video services, selling images, etc.

Anyone know any different?

Anyone have a sUAS FAA license?
Must register. No license required unless for hire.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,022 Posts
Personal use is not a problem. Just don't fly over airports and the Pentagon. If you want to start a business shooting real estate for sale you need a commercial license. My concern was that I was using drone footage to promote my business (sell motorcycle parts). I can see the authorities interpreting this as a commercial use. The fines are high. Then I would have to hire a lawyer to argue I am not directly charging any fees. Sometimes you have to prove you're innocent.

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
My buddy has the 1st Mavic Pro. He keeps telling me how important it is to practice flying the thing & to know where you're flying. The FAA and some private and government places don't take kindly to those things buzzing around. His shots come out good though.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
There are many "secure areas." Almost all marine terminals, harbors, petrochemical facilities, prisons, airports, tank farms are a few that come to mind. Also, any "restricted air space" in your area.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info and advice! Please keep 'em coming.

Today I pulled the trigger and bought a DJI Mavic 2 Pro, with accessory pack. Started the FAA registration process and joined AMA. Will also join a local model air park for instruction, tips, fellowship and sharing of info. I did already learn that the VR device (actually called FPOV) is usually used for racing drones. Not interested in that.

As with our Indians, the extras are already calling to me. BUT . . . my main guard against that is the next thing I need for my bike, LOL. I just have to figure out how to hide the purchase from the wife until I can gently break her in to the idea. She'll still be pissed, but hey, I'm taking her on a cruise in January (maybe that will soften the annoyance).

Charging batteries as I type. I plan to fire it up tomorrow - grounded system test, no flying. Need to download, review, configure Apps and software.

Anyone interested in a dedicated thread on Drone applications for motorcycles? It must be motorcycle related, e.g.,footage on trips, shows, transporting on bike, storage, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
My buddy has the 1st Mavic Pro. He keeps telling me how important it is to practice flying the thing & to know where you're flying. The FAA and some private and government places don't take kindly to those things buzzing around. His shots come out good though.
Definitely need to know where you are flying, I think Federal Prisons can shoot you down now. Then call the FBI to get the owner identified and arrested.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Definitely need to know where you are flying, I think Federal Prisons can shoot you down now. Then call the FBI to get the owner identified and arrested.
The B4UFLY App (from FAA) shows all no fly zones and restrictions, based on your GPS position. Been playing with it a bit.

Speaking of shooting a drone down . . . some states are now upholding a home-owner's right to shoot one down. But then residential areas are no-fly zones anyway.

·
Rider
799 Posts
[QUOTE="EskimoQuinn " Anyone interested in a dedicated thread on Drone applications for motorcycles? It must be motorcycle related, e.g.,footage on trips, shows, transporting on bike, storage, etc.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be a great idea!

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Okay. I also started a NEW thread for general subject of drones and motorcycles.

Drone and Motorcycles

Originally locked, I'll now keep this thread unlocked to journal my journey with my recent purchase, learning curve, etc. Hopefully no cross-posting will occur and no one will get confused between the two threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.