Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've got MotoLights on my VTX and I love them! I really think they help you be seen better by traffic and I like the extra light at night. I've been doing some research and I see some people on the forums mentioned ClearWater. Does anyone have any experience with them? The Darla lights look nice and bright and I like the fact you can vary them. I'm not sure if I like the design as much or how you have to mount the knob.

Once I get things sorted and ordered, I'll make sure I post some pictures.

Clearwater Darla

VS Motolight

The Motolights LEDs are pretty expensive but given they're MR16 connectors, I've found some alternate bulbs that are brighter and cheaper. I run something a little dimmer on my VTX but they give out a nice white light.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Clearwater Darla’s easy install and fantastic lights. I have had motolights in the past and Clearwater is far superior.
Thanks, that's the feedback I was looking for!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have the Darla's on one of my HD bikes. To me, they were well worth the money.

Reactions: Super Jute

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Darlas definitely light up the sides and down the road. The high beam wire on the challenger does not work to trigger the darlas though. If you connect them to the low beam as directed when you switch to high beam the shut off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious, is there any reason you chose not to fender mount them vs the highway bar?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
The Darlas definitely light up the sides and down the road. The high beam wire on the challenger does not work to trigger the darlas though. If you connect them to the low beam as directed when you switch to high beam the shut off.
Just asking here, but did you tap into the high beam wire on the bike?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the directions there are 2 wires you're supposed to tap in to.
1. A switched power supply
2. Headlight High

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@rjsfirepro Side note, I did the same thing for the toe pegs that you did only in chrome. They're out of stock but I should get them soon. I love the look!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I’ve installed Clearwaters on 4 bikes with both features enabled,honk horn and they go to full and full on hi beam.My FTR I had to use a pair of isolation relays due to the way PI uses PWM off the VCM.Also Clearwater offers a dash mtd power control rather than handlebar,I used this on both my brothers bikes as it looked much better in thebdash rather than up on the bars.Have the 6000 lumen ones on his Roadmaster and they are deer cookers on hi.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only thing I'm struggling with is the fact I like the look of the Motolights better. I don't really think it matters at this point because we just got hit HARD at work with this whole COVID-19 deal.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Understand the Covid thing,was supposed to go to NYC today and corporate has stopped all domestic travel.Feel I dodged a bullet there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts