Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched out the stock halogen driving light bulbs for H8 LEDS. But now, after the change, the right light stays on all the time when bike is on, and the left side only comes on when it push the driving light button, like when normally turning them on. I switched back the old bulbs, and they worked correctly. LED back in, same issue. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is on my 2018 Chief Vintage.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Sounds like the capacitor in the light is defective and causing the light to illuminate. Did you try switch the lights from left to right and see if the fault follows?

Reactions: pope

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the capacitor in the light is defective and causing the light to illuminate. Did you try switch the lights from left to right and see if the fault follows?
I had originally changed the lights from stock hologen to led because I thought the left driving light had burnt out, because it was always off, but the right was on.
Only after putting in LEDs did I notice the right side stays on all the time when ignition button pushed and is on. The left will come on, but only after pushing the drive light button (like it should).
I've switched out halogen and LEDs on both sides, with exact same results.
So if it's the capacitor, is that a fix under warranty? My 2 years warranty is up in August. Is the capacitor part of what the headlight bulb plugs into, or is it somewhere else? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I had originally changed the lights from stock hologen to led because I thought the left driving light had burnt out, because it was always off, but the right was on.
Only after putting in LEDs did I notice the right side stays on all the time when ignition button pushed and is on. The left will come on, but only after pushing the drive light button (like it should).
I've switched out halogen and LEDs on both sides, with exact same results.
So if it's the capacitor, is that a fix under warranty? My 2 years warranty is up in August. Is the capacitor part of what the headlight bulb plugs into, or is it somewhere else? Thanks!!!
Most LED lights have either resistors or capacitors, or both, to facilitate correct operation in a vehicles electrical system. For example, the capacators in the Admore light bar that I have causes the rear turn signals to remain on for a minute or two after the bike is shut off, due to how the wiring harness integrates into the system. If your lights were doing the same thing before you switched them out, then it is either an issue with the VCU, or the wiring going from the lights to the switch to the VCU. In either case, it should be covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was me being a dumbass.....I had connected the wires incorrectly....the right connector was connected to the left connector, and vis versa....jacked everything up. Once reconnected, all was good!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It was me being a dumbass.....I had connected the wires incorrectly....the right connector was connected to the left connector, and vis versa....jacked everything up. Once reconnected, all was good!
Yup...that would do it. The CANBUS system on these bikes is VERY sensitive to correct voltage, amperage, and resistance.

Reactions: Chichi scout
1 - 8 of 8 Posts