Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolt of the Driver's OEM Backrest appears to be 5/16. I need a longer bolt to move the backrest a little further forward. I tried a 5/16-24 and a 5/16-18. I can't get either to thread. Anyone know what this "Thumbwheel" bolt is?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,283 Posts
Pretty sure it would be metric threads. Everything else is. Dean

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Take it out and check it at the bolt shop.

Mine sometimes unwinds itself to the end but no further. I suspect they've closed over the final thread of the screw so it doesn't unwind itself and fall out along the road, so it might be wise to file out the end of the thread before trying to remove it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Alternative option is to remove the back rest upright, wrap it in cloth and put in a vice to straighten removing about 1/2 of the curve, this is what i did to get a better riding position

Reactions: UnMonkey

·
Rider
709 Posts
It is indeed a M8 X 1.25 bolt, and yes, you have to take a file or a die to cut the burr off of the last thread to remove the bolt. I figured this out as I found the backrest to be the most comfortable with the bolt removed.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
And a tip about locking the thumbscrew so it stays where you want it.

I cut a short piece of plastic tubing and forced it over the screw. The goal was to position it so that the screw would not unwind and allow the backrest to move backwards. It worked for a while but the screw managed to unwind from the tubing, which fell out along the road somewhere. So I got tighter fitting tubing. It's a war of attrition from here on. :)

·
Rider
946 Posts
And a tip about locking the thumbscrew so it stays where you want it.

I cut a short piece of plastic tubing and forced it over the screw. The goal was to position it so that the screw would not unwind and allow the backrest to move backwards. It worked for a while but the screw managed to unwind from the tubing, which fell out along the road somewhere. So I got tighter fitting tubing. It's a war of attrition from here on. :)
Put a nut on it and when you have it where you like it tighten the nut to the stem jamming the adjuster from moving.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Put a nut on it and when you have it where you like it tighten the nut to the stem jamming the adjuster from moving.
I thought of that, but it's then a matter of filing the final thread that they smashed over before the nut will spin on and my laziness got in the way. :)

If the current piece of plastic tube fails I'll give it a dab of hot-melt glue to lock it up.

·
Rider
946 Posts
I thought of that, but it's then a matter of filing the final thread that they smashed over before the nut will spin on and my laziness got in the way. :)

If the current piece of plastic tube fails I'll give it a dab of hot-melt glue to lock it up.
Blue loctite?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I change how I sit on mine depending on various things, so I like being able to change it. I have considered touching it with a welder to lock a nut on end. If I wanted to remove it, I'd just grind down the weld.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts