Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Driver Backrest for my Chieftain. I installed it and went for a ride only to find that it seemed to push me forward somewhat. Even adjusting the thumb-screw all the way to the back it still feels like I was pushed forward more than I wanted. SO..... I just spent a little time pulling the backrest apart and noticing that the main bar was bent at the top in a forward bend which pushes the backrest forward. I reversed the bar, removed the thumb-screw (Had to chase the threads with a die) and simply reversed the bar so the bend is now bending to the rear. Put it all back together and it seems like it did the trick. Only negative is the 'detents' in the bar don't seem to hold in holder. That's ok with me since I usually have the backrest in the down position anyway.

If you feel pushed forward with the Rider Backrest give this a try and see what you think.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Good idea jlig. I am hoping to pick up the drivers backrest and was wondering how much room i would have. Let you know when i do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I noticed the same thing when I put mine on. Was a little surprised that it was this way given that it was a factory part ... Was considering making a whole new bar in my spare time o_O. I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Jlig. Nice mod, took 5 minutes. Now I need to capture the backrest bar with a bolt or chain under the seat so the backrest is not so "grab and go".

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found the same situation on my Roadmaster and what I did was to remove the adjustment screw altogether and it worked great for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts