Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Chieftain with around 40,000 miles. When I'm in 6th I notice if I get on it to pass someone or I just want to speed once and awhile the rpm go way up but my power dosent. How many miles should I be changing my belt? Or is there a tension adjustment??

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a 2016 Chieftain with around 40,000 miles. When I'm in 6th I notice if I get on it to pass someone or I just want to speed once and awhile the rpm go way up but my power dosent. How many miles should I be changing my belt? Or is there a tension adjustment??
That doesn't sound like a belt it sounds more like a clutch. Make sure there is free play on the clutch lever.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As mentioned, sounds more like the clutch is slipping. The belt would need to be really loose to be slipping in those conditions and yes it can be adjusted. Check the belt tension and adjust as per the manual, but the symptoms you describe are more likely to be related to the clutch, as described above check and adjust this to spec also.

·
Bronze member
3,069 Posts
The "slipping belt" is a new one on me too.Never heard of it![If it's slipping,then the bike won't movin ,period!lol lol] And I agree with the clutch being your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Chieftain limited. I had (?) the same issue, i noticed it does it right after starting it and getting on the e-way..... So I let it run for a minute or 2 after stops..its seems to stop...
Still going to have Indian check it out....

·
Rider
721 Posts
You say that the "RPM goes way up but the power doesn't". Do you mean that the engine RPM increases, but the speed of the bike doesn't? If that is the case then, it sounds like the clutch is slipping like previously mentioned. If this is what is happening, are you not experiencing slippage in lower gears as well?

·
Registered
497 Posts
... When I'm in 6th I notice if I get on it to pass someone or I just want to speed once and awhile the rpm go way up but my power dosent..
-- 6th is NOT a passing gear. It is only a cruising ratio gear. If you need to pass at HWY speed, always downshift to 5th or even 4th
-- Indian recommends changing the belt at 30K. I think that's way too soon. Save it for sometime when you're changing the rear tire or inspecting swing arm bushings--at that point, part of the labor is already done.
-- Yes there is a belt tension standard and procedure. It's all in the service manual.

That all said, and as mentioned by others, this is definatly not a belt issue.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Clutch clutch clutch - adjust it at the cable everyone runs there’s different. I run 1/4” to 3/8” free play on the clutch lever myself.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
Definitely the clutch. Have helped several friends adjust theirs. The more it slips the quicker you’ll wear down the plates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts