Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been told by service dept. that it is a $700 job to purchase and install a drive belt for my 2014 Classic. Anybody else had this done? How much?

·
Registered
126 Posts
A lot of the early bikes had problems with the pulleys and belts. Many were replaced under warranty. Check the parts numbers to see if they've been updated. If so maybe your dealership can go to bat for you and help get the cost down.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The swing arm has to be removed to change the belt on the chieftains
Wow I never knew sob back to the same BS as Harley I desperately tried to get away from. And what pisses me off now is Indian knew there is a better way. So it’s like that on all of the models with the 111” frame up to now ? And I know what a pain it can be I’ve done it on 2 of my Harleys

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Wow I never knew sob back to the same BS as Harley I desperately tried to get away from. And what pisses me off now is Indian knew there is a better way. So it’s like that on all of the models with the 111” frame up to now ? And I know what a pain it can be I’ve done it on 2 of my Harleys

Yep always

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
These belts last a very looong time! Planning for PM replacement during rear tire and/or wheel bearing replacement makes sense. Also, if you are lucky enough to make the belt last until it is time for chassis bearing service/replacement, then there would be no extra labor to swap in a new belt at that time. I have a friend with 85,000 miles - original belt, but his suspension is starting to feel a little loose. We will likely replace his suspension bearings and drive belt and cush drive all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’ve gotten over 100g on 3 of my Harley belts. No reason indian won’t go as far. There’s members on here have over 100g now. What pisses me off is you could swap a belt on a Victory in 10 minutes longer then it takes to pull a back wheel and replace it. Why they wouldn’t do the same here is beyond me. But I guess if you don’t keep your bike that long it shouldn’t affect us. I replaced 2 Harley belts in all these years only due to a small rock hole punched thru them. Belts themselves were fine. But the job itself is a JOB !

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
There sure is a lot of anxiety about belt replacement, multiple threads on this board and others about it being "bullshit" that Polaris "went backward" on design and made it "harder than it needs to be". Seems like folks looking for something to troll about to me. Trust me, you can all relax, it's not the same as an H-D, for the simple reason that the primary doesn't need to come off also. That is actually the big part of the H-D belt replacement. The swing arm isn't all that big a deal, and like @dieselgman said above, the swing arm bearings really should be replaced regularly also. Mine needed replacement at 80,000 miles. FWIW my belt and pulleys were in perfect condition and I didn't replace them at that time. I've got over 113,000 miles now and still no sign of issues. I'll probably replace them when I do the swing arm bearings again. I figure that will be somewhere around 160,000.

·
Bronze member
2,670 Posts
My last bike,a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird,[which was the first belt driven machine I ever owned] had over 125,000 miles on it when I traded it towards the Indian and it STILL had the ORIGINAL belt on it which was STILL in GOOD condition.The trick is to keep the belt,as well as both cogs,"CLEAN" [I use air to periodically blow any crap off of the drive cogs and the belts' teeth] and then,"SPARINGLY" lube the belt ,rubbing candle wax on both sides and the teeth every now and then.And THEN, I do NOT OVER TIGHTEN the belt like too many guys ,as well as the dealerships do, and it WORKS!! So armed with the knowledge learned from that machine [my first belt drive],I am now doing the same thing on my Indian as I would now do on any belt drive machine.But again,that's me and as you guys know, I'm NOT TOO BRIGHT.So please carry on gentlemen!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts