Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2002 Spirit and the teeth got eaten up on the belt! I have to replace and adjust it. Do I need to drop the rear swing arm? Any idea as far as an approximate amount of tension? I have an 03 Chief as well and that's going to need a belt too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
Yep, you have to drop the swingarm. The great tragedy of the softtail design...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what it looked like. Bummer! Any idea about the amount of belt play? The one that had all the teeth chewed off was a Panther? Just ordered a 130 tooth by 1.5" from Harley. I believe the Chief uses a 136 x 1.5" I'm down to running my old Softail. Already missing not riding my Indians. Thanks Pablo94!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Might be a good time to replace rear pulley. Iput chrome pulley on mine years ago. The soft aluminum stock pulley is now garage art

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi 1mesaman,
"Ndnjohnson" is spot on your issue is to some degree the age of the belt, but the soft aluminium "teeth" wear and it will impact the life of a new belt, and they won't warranty it.
If you want to keep the "tear drop" pulley, here is an option:

SuperMax Belt Drives For Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

A friend I ride with had his HD pulley done and was more than happy. It's been at least 2 if not 3 seasons now, and no issues

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi 1Mesaman,
Expensive at a shop, and a bit of a project, but not terrible.
The "quick read" on the project:
You will need a lift (harbor freight) new belt and complete primary gasket and seal kit, primary and engine oil.
Remove battery. Drain engine oil. Drain primary oil.remove oil tank. Remove outer primary. Remove primary drive (compensator, chain, clutch basket) remove starter jack shaft. Remove starter. Remove inner primary. Remove muffler (head pipe can stay) Remove rear caliper. Remove belt guard. Remove rear axle. Remove rear wheel. Remove old belt.
Install new belt. Reasemble. Align rear wheel, adjust belt tension.

Wish it only took as long to do as it does to read or write it.
If you are going to do it, let me know, can upload more detailed information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts