Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your drive belt is, or has been noisy, tell me what it sounded like. I know that it's difficult to describe a sound, but we can try!

Is it a squeaky rattley squeak/rattle?
When do you hear it?
Do you hear it all the time?
Does it change with speed?
Does it change with throttle setting?
Is it sometimes louder than other times?

I sprayed belt dressing on it and went for a ride today. I think that might have helped, but I can still hear it.
If this noise isn't the belt, then I can imagine all sorts of expensive things it could be.
The thing is, it's decision time on whether to purchase an extended warranty....not exactly cheap either.
2 years, 15K miles, and no warranty claims so far. Normally, I wouldn't buy that warranty, but now, this noise.

·
Bronze member
3,064 Posts
start off by checking your tension making sure it's right.. then check your alignment making sure it's right.. if they are both right you have a different problem... if one of them is off you just fixed it... the belt noise I've had with a belt out of alignment sound more like a squeal very easy to hear

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your drive belt is, or has been noisy, tell me what it sounded like. I know that it's difficult to describe a sound, but we can try!

Is it a squeaky rattley squeak/rattle?
When do you hear it?
Do you hear it all the time?
Does it change with speed?
Does it change with throttle setting?
Is it sometimes louder than other times?

I sprayed belt dressing on it and went for a ride today. I think that might have helped, but I can still hear it.
If this noise isn't the belt, then I can imagine all sorts of expensive things it could be.
The thing is, it's decision time on whether to purchase an extended warranty....not exactly cheap either.
2 years, 15K miles, and no warranty claims so far. Normally, I wouldn't buy that warranty, but now, this noise.
Your belt can be to one side or the other and make a roaring sound. It needs to ride in the center of the pulley and you should see teeth on both sides. Also the noise can be coming from the tires and not the belt. That depends on the wear of the tire and the road surface. At 15K I hope you have new rubber but if not that could be causing a noise. About the extended warranty, you might want to read about some of the experiences people have had with the warranty. It seems Polaris will cover the small things but when you complain about something major they will come up with excuses to void your warranty. If you are a gambler, just save your money.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The bottom line is this. Will you need to keep it aligned? Yes! Adjusted? Yes! But above all, you will need to keep it cleaned. DO NOT use belt dressing. It attracts dirt. Indian Belts HATE dirt. When I clean my bike after around 400 miles, I get on the ground with a rag, clean water, and perhaps a little Dawn in the water and I scrub each grove of the belt. It is a bigger pain than cleaning white wall tires. When I change the tire, I have the mechanic take a towel and scrub the groves thoroughly as well as the pully and tire where the belt sets. If I do this, then and only then does the belt NOT squeal. I live in an area prone to dirt - It's called the Coachella Valley. NOTHING I can do about it. Indian has replaced the pully twice and the belt once under warranty. Cleaning it regularly is the ONLY thing that works. I have 30,000 miles plus on the bike in 18 months. Damn those Indian belts.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've checked my belt tension and alignment, still have noise. BUT, I live down a long gravel road so everything I can't get to stays covered in dust. I've just accepted it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My RM has a squeal on the first ride of the day. The noise goes away once I’m a few feet down the road. Once the bike (and apparently the belt) is warmed up the squealing noise doesn’t occur. The noise concerned me at first, but this has been going on for the last year + and the “problem” hasn’t gotten worse or better. I rinse the belt off with water whenever I wash the bike, but it really doesn’t help. Pretty much refusing to clean each groove as reported above....way too much effort to stop a squealing noise that goes way after I’m underway.

·
Silver member
3,863 Posts
A year or so ago I read an article that mentioned Indian belt drives can and sometimes will give off a bit of a squeal or similar noise. The, or a, solution in the article was to rub a little bar soap on the sides of the belt. The soap must lube the sides of the belt if/when it contacts the sides of the pully/sprocket. No 1st hand experience with this so take it for what it's worth. Proper alignment would be number 1, then maybe try the soap trick.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
My belt is squealing/squeaking again, told the dealer about it and again they put wax on it which just helps to collect dirt, dust and make the noise much worse! Guess I’ll have to lay on the floor and take a tooth brush and cleaner to it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain has chirped, and squeaked for 3 years. Mostly when cold. I have just scrubbed a bar of soap on side of belt. This would work for about a month.
Well last week on my way to the Elkhart dealership , 20 miles from shop bike start making an awful noise from the back end. Never heard noises like that. So I make it to dealership.
I explain I don’t have an app. And if there was any way they could look at bike and just tell me if it was safe to ride home. ( 3 hours away)
They didn’t hesitate to look at it. Just looked at belt and asked if I had waxed belt. Said I shouldn’t have to , it’s the Cush drive.
Takes it for a ride, comeback and takes it straight to garage. After checking everything said it was the cush drive and belt.
Said he would put a order into Polaris and see if they could get it u see warranty. Bike is 2014 with 31,500 miles. He didn’t promise anything but said he was confident he could get it approved.
3 days later he called and said it all is approved, also was going to check the light recall , and see if it’s good or bad. And to replace if needed.
I’m 3 hours away and am happy to drive by the dealer closer to take-to them. The other dealer said to just align the belt, and that it wasn’t covered under warranty.
Elkhart was great, I highly recommend them

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I took the bike back to Smoky Mountain Steel Horses, where I bought it and they said they hadn't seen a belt as loose as mine. Now the noise I was hearing is gone. Thing is, they put a rear tire on it 5K miles ago, and you would have thought they would have noticed that belt at that time, right?
Anyway, now I have a different noise, which sounds even scarier than the squeaky rattle I was hearing. I heard this a few times before the belt adjustment, but it's worse now that the belt is tight. It happens when the bike is hot at speeds below 25 mph, when I have the clutch pulled in and am coasting to a stop and downshifting. It's a grinding, clattering sound almost like gears clashing that I can sometimes feel as well as hear.
I'll be back at the dealership next week for front rotor replacement (warped) so they can check it out then.
Cubs 24, what did that cush drive noise sound like?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update: I took the bike back to Smoky Mountain Steel Horses, where I bought it and they said they hadn't seen a belt as loose as mine. Now the noise I was hearing is gone. Thing is, they put a rear tire on it 5K miles ago, and you would have thought they would have noticed that belt at that time, right?
Anyway, now I have a different noise, which sounds even scarier than the squeaky rattle I was hearing. I heard this a few times before the belt adjustment, but it's worse now that the belt is tight. It happens when the bike is hot at speeds below 25 mph, when I have the clutch pulled in and am coasting to a stop and downshifting. It's a grinding, clattering sound almost like gears clashing that I can sometimes feel as well as hear.
I'll be back at the dealership next week for front rotor replacement (warped) so they can check it out then.
Cubs 24, what did that cush drive noise sound like?
A chirp, and a normal belt squeak sound, just when speeding up.
But the last time it was almost like metal hitting metal. Never heard it sound like that before.
I took a vat of dove soap and rubbed the edges and it went away. Might try that and see if noise goes away or not.

·
Bronze member
2,671 Posts
When the bike is cold,like setting over night,the belt should have approximately 1 1/2 inches of free play or up and down movement at it's loosest point.After the machine has been driven for awhile and the belt heats up,that free play will decrease to approximately 1/2-3/4 of an inch of up and down movement.And then,after owning my first belt drive [2010 Triumph] I also discovered that it's a good idea to lube it every now and then.When I say lube it,what I do is run a piece of candle wax over the teeth and sides while rotating the wheel.Infact,I just did mine again yesterday when I had it on my lift for an oil change.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Belts shouldn't chirp or squeal. The causes of this are....

Wheel alignment issues
Incorrect tension.
Dirt and or contamination

Many dealers and repair shops are unable to properly align and tension belts for some odd reason, most likely because they are in a hurry.

I have owned 4 belt driven motorcycles and did all my own adjustments and alignments and never had squealing or chirping belts. Every riding season regardless of mileage I check belt tension and alignment. After tire changes at dealers, I did have to re-adjust the belt alignment and tension as they techs couldn't do it right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Belts shouldn't chirp or squeal. The causes of this are....

Wheel alignment issues
Incorrect tension.
Dirt and or contamination

Many dealers and repair shops are unable to properly align and tension belts for some odd reason, most likely because they are in a hurry.

I have owned 4 belt driven motorcycles and did all my own adjustments and alignments and never had squealing or chirping belts. Every riding season regardless of mileage I check belt tension and alignment. After tire changes at dealers, I did have to re-adjust the belt alignment and tension as they techs couldn't do it right.
You are correct they shouldn’t squeal or chirp.
But Indian has said there is a issue with the Cush drive. That’s why they are replacing it thru warranty. Not always just correct alignment

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,312 Posts
Mine will make a little noise on acceleration when there is moisture on the belt and pulleys but it goes away once the belt warms up from friction.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
But Indian has said there is a issue with the Cush drive. That’s why they are replacing it thru warranty. Not always just correct alignment

That was on earlier bikes though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Can you elaborate on the problem with the Cush drive. Since I’ve had an issue with squawking for some time, I’d like to get all the information I can before going in to talk with my dealer. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts