Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drive belt on my 14 Vintage seems extremely loose. How much should I be able to move the belt when cold? I can push the belt over 2 inches until it gets tight.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had to have the belt on my Classic adjusted and moved more towards the center in order to stop a chirping noise (belt rubbing on the pulley). I haven't tried to move it by hand but I don't think I could do it. Sounds like your belt is way loose...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Howdy Bocody,
There is a tool used to check the belt tension on H-D, Victory, and Indian. It has a U-shaped stirrup mounted on a spring-loaded plunger with a sliding O-ring on a graduated scale. J&P Cycle sells one (600-439 Belt tension gauge ... $28.99). There is a description of how to measure and adjust the belt tension in the Indian Service Manual. The belt side-to-side run-out must also be checked and adjusted as described in the service manual. Your belt sounds like its pretty loose.
--- Randall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy Bocody,
There is a tool used to check the belt tension on H-D, Victory, and Indian. It has a U-shaped stirrup mounted on a spring-loaded plunger with a sliding O-ring on a graduated scale. J&P Cycle sells one (600-439 Belt tension gauge ... $28.99). There is a description of how to measure and adjust the belt tension in the Indian Service Manual. The belt side-to-side run-out must also be checked and adjusted as described in the service manual. Your belt sounds like its pretty loose.
--- Randall
I've also noticed that the rear wheel my not be aligned properly. on the belt side the marker is on the second notch back and the left side it's on the third. I am also getting the chirping noise I've been hearing about. ???

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
The markings on the swing arm aren't accurate either on my Vision or Vintage. Instead I use two pieces of string and make sure the rear wheel is aligned with the front wheel. Takes a second person to hold the end of the string but has always been spot on using this method.

·
2,052 Posts
If the belt is running to one side or the other it will chirp when it hits the edge of the pulley. If I get time this evening I'll transcribe the belt and rear wheel adjustment procedure into the How-To section of the site.
--- Randall

·
Registered
62 Posts
My drive belt was loose at the 500 mile service and again at the 2500 miler. Shop tech said is was just breaking in and everything was normal.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I can't find my book, so I don't have the specs. But the belt breaking in isn't going to loosen up. There is virtually no breaking in of the belt. They do not stretch. Your tech is full of $h!t. Belt needs to be checked cool and dry. That means not to check it wet, and to let it cool after riding before check or adjustment. Belts swell when wet, and expand when hot.

·
2,052 Posts
Good Morning,
Well, I looked it up in the service manual last night and the adjustment procedure runs 3 pages with tables and illustrations; its fairly involved. Briefly:
Using the described tool (Belt Tension Gauge PV-43532) to apply 10 lbs. perpendicular pressure to a cool, dry belt.

Chieftain - 1.3" (34 mm) or 11 notches up on belt guard
Vintage/Classic - 1.1" (28 mm) or 8 notches up on belt guard

You should check the belt at 4 different points 90 degrees apart rotating the the wheel clockwise as viewed from the belt side of the motorcycle, placing a mark on the wheel at the tightest point to use as a reference. Rotate the wheel clockwise 1-2 revolutions until the reference mark is lined up with the tension setting window in the lower belt guard. Use the tension gauge to apply 10 lbs. of pressure against the belt at the center and count the notches it deflects in the window. Adjust to above specs.

Now, you must also check the run-out of the belt on the rear pulley turning the wheel both forward and backward, which involves adjusting the left-side axle adjuster so that the belt tracks in the center of the pulley or you will experience chirping and rapid belt wear.

That's all I've got time for now; maybe buy a service manual?

--- Randall

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can't tighten the belt , cause when they do it will be loose 5 miles down the road cause the cogs on rear sprocket are to big and wide. Get on this guys and don't take no for a answer! Or it will cost you later. Different part number now on the 2016s and the belts are real tight. Look at everyone I could hot and cold. Matter of fact I went down the line of all the bikes and said this is a 15 and this is a 16 and so on just by pushing up on the belt . Like I said look in to it and get on it or it will cost you:( ps the bikes in Sturgis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts