Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not, but here's your chance to make history:

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/07/04/polaris-hiring-marketing-director-for-indian-motorcycles/

If you want a good working definition of the word 'ignorance' scroll down to the comments section and read what 'Greybeard' thinks should be done with Victory. Ha, what a maroon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There were a few comments that alluded to a HUGE requirement that was left out...has to be a dedicated biker.

Although I agree the person has to have the business and marketing sense called out for in the skills and experience section...if the person doesn't have a passion for motorcycling the marketing strategy will probably be a extravagant shell with no soul. Same thing goes for the design team as well.

I love the Indian mystic and I just hope that they can find the magic that made Indian the number one motorcycle in it's day. The name only gets people in the door; it takes a lot more to make people ride them out.

And I agree...Greybeard doesn't get it. A Victory is a Victory and an Indian is an Indian. Putting 'Indian' on the side of a Victory just won't cut it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after reading the Job requirements, It seems that CRYIL HUZE would be the Ideal canadate for the job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be interested but ...

I've been involved in sales and marketing for a different business but would probably be qualified otherwise. However, I wonder if they could meet my salary & benefit requirements. Goes off to find more details... application submitted.

I'd be willing to bet that whoever reads the resume's will file mine in the famous 'circular file' upon receipt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know what Polaris paid for Indian? My understanding is that the frame builder they out scorced to went under. Leaving them dead in the water. So I'm guessing that Indian was bought at a 'Can't go wrong' kind of price tag.
Now if that's the case, Indian will probably stay as a stand alone brand. Just get sales back to the pre-buyout level, and the brand probably makes money for the mother ship.

Just might BE a dream job.
Mayberry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4606 said:
And I agree...Greybeard doesn't get it. A Victory is a Victory and an Indian is an Indian. Putting 'Indian' on the side of a Victory just won't cut it.
Agree, one way to ensure Victory riders on the fence because the mother ship has the communication skills of an Aspbergers Patient go back to HD, or Jump ship to Metric would be to put Indian on our bikes.

JMTC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At this point, Indian has been passed around more times than a jug of acid-laced Chianti at a Grateful Dead concert. One thing's for sure. If anyone ever manages to make the brand viable again, their name will be written in the annals of motorcycle history. I think it would be pretty cool if that person came by way of the mother ship.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that job wasn't located in Minnesota (I'm guessing on that) then it would be one hell of a fun job....and a lot more complex then people realize. To Shawn's assertion, I 'think' that Polaris got Indian for a steal so there is a lot of flexibility in their timelines and expectations....but with any successful company, the wick will be turned up on that 'division' very quickly with noticeable results expected within 18 months or so....which is a blink of an eye with what needs to be done.

In regards to the conversations about making Indians into Victorys or Victorys into Indians, those could be some of the dumbest things I have ever heard...and will not happen. Will they possibly share technology/resources/staff/engineering? Absolutely! but why in the hell would you try and turn a lion into a zebra???

IMHO, Polaris is sitting on the golden goose in the motorcycle world, and how they manage both the Indian and Victory brands is going to be interesting. I wish I could be part of it....but would never move to Minnesota in the winter time! :)

PS: Don't be surprised if they steal someone from H-D or the auto industry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5505 said:
Does anyone know what Polaris paid for Indian? My understanding is that the frame builder they out scorced to went under. Leaving them dead in the water. So I'm guessing that Indian was bought at a 'Can't go wrong' kind of price tag.
Now if that's the case, Indian will probably stay as a stand alone brand. Just get sales back to the pre-buyout level, and the brand probably makes money for the mother ship.

Just might BE a dream job.
Mayberry
I am not sure who said it (I believe it was Scott Wine) but it was said that they would not ever release the purchase price unless they were legally required to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1522 said:
PS: Don't be surprised if they steal someone from H-D or the auto industry.
Good call. I was just talking to a buddy (in the MC industry) last week. He told me the best sales director Harley has ever had just retired last year. If Victory was 'pro-active' - they might look this guy up. From what I heard (my friend knows him personally) he is a sharp miracle worker - and personable - quite the combo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope they do well with the brand and it is good for Victory & Polaris as well as for those who are enthusiastic about the brand.

The name does seem to sell stuff, for example, in the past few years I have seen a lot of young people who don't even ride wearing garments marked 'Indian Motorcycles'.

However, along the lines of;

4606 said:
4028 said:
Agree, one way to ensure Victory riders on the fence because the mother ship has the communication skills of an Aspbergers Patient go back to HD, or Jump ship to Metric would be to put Indian on our bikes.
JMTC
Personally, I really don't want them messing with Victory, I am a new Vic owner but the bike has already made me a Victory enthusiast.

If you don't count re-badged products or the several short lived attempts to revive the Indian brand, Indian Motorcycles ceased to exist when I was a year old, and I just turned 59 this month.

That is a very long absence from the market and personally, I feel no connection to the brand. Style preference is a very individual and subjective thing but my style preference gravitates to the current Victory line up. The Indian name is not a draw for me.

Consequently, I would not be impressed at all by a name change from Victory to Indian for every motorcycle made by Polaris companies.

While I hope they do a good job with Indian and do well with them financially, I am one of those who would prefer the brands stay separate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Indian stood for innovation, using or creating the latest developments and willing to try something new, whilst harley's innovation was in marketing an image and developing the product at a snails pace. However nowadays Indian is a heritage brand with similiar kudos as harley. How often do we see in the dumb media saying the only thing wrong with Victory is it does not have Harley on the tank. (This always irritates me because if I wanted a HD I would have bought one.)However they will not have that said with Indian. The question is can Indian be modern and Innovative, maybe if they get Eric Buell on board or some one like him. Can you have innovation and heritage at the same time? Its a difficult balancing act, but I think so, because Triumph manage to do just that. Just take a look at their 675 triple sports bike as an example to be contemporary whilst their cruisers are quite traditional (boring) in appearance. But then cruiser riders tend to want tradition and Victory has moved on from this to a certain extent from the moment they introduced the vegas. one thing is for certain,with Indian it is going to be an interesting future using the past.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4010 said:
Quote:
Originally posted by: racky

A Jug of Acid-Laced Chianti at a dead concert????, Man I thought you sounded Familiar!!!

LOL. You know it, brudda.
HA! It was a Bota bag! and both you neanderthals were just pretending to be enlightened pacifists to get next to the hippie chicks! Oh sorry, that was me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled, 'Indian's probably going to flop again.' program

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The original American motorcycle has joined the new American motorcycle

We are bringing the past into the present

Choose your ride and show your pride.

Polaris is providing passion and joy for riders world wide

while providing jobs in the USA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1522 said:
IMHO, Polaris is sitting on the golden goose in the motorcycle world, and how they manage both the Indian and Victory brands is going to be interesting. I wish I could be part of it....but would never move to Minnesota in the winter time! :)
Come on, it's not so bad here in the winter. We just spend our days and nights sitting in a home built shack on top of the water trusting the layer of ice. We drink, eat, and catch fish, dreaming of the day the snow melts and we can get back on the bikes, and the day the Vikings do something awesome.

This is our misery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't be a bit surprised that I buy an Indian in a few years once I see the improvements and what will be the future power plant
Thinkin the existing engine is gotta go and parts could be a problem sooner than later.
Indian got some beautiful product IMO
Won't ever sell my Vision

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After reading through it, I think that it actually is a very long shot. I have been in this similar market for well over years already and have grown quite content, really.

Though I would really like to having a crack at starting a work from home type of setup just so I would have more time with things that I want done. And probably a work from my bike type of thing some time more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts