Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was riding home yesterday and I could watch the voltage draining on the gauge. Made it home, no problem. Put it on the tender. This morning I went to my dealerships anniversary and when I started it, it was showing less than half the usual charge. Rode it to a bakery to get some donuts and it died when I pulled into the parking lot. So......after eating a donut, I tried to start it. It fired up showing very little voltage....made it home, limping into the garage.....
Could this be the stator or (hopefully) just a battery with a bad cell?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,917 Posts
Please provide actual readings. Generalities will not allow for good diagnosis. A fully charged battery at rest should be 12.6 or better. When it is loaded with a heavy current (such as starter) it will dip much lower (10vdc) and then immediately recover when the bike starts up. Charging voltage (bike running) should be up to 14.5 maximum and remain fairly stable after 20 minutes or so of run time. Put a meter on the battery and watch what it does. Check all your connections for clean and tight, especially battery terminals and frame ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it started this morning the voltage was less than half on the gauge. (There’s no real numbers on it) and it didn’t recover. It took some time last night before the tender light went green and that’s usually back to green within 5 minutes. All of the connections are tight.
It has 56,000 miles on it and it has the original battery. Thinking that could be it.
 

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Joined
·
6,027 Posts
i was riding home yesterday and I could watch the voltage draining on the gauge. Made it home, no problem. Put it on the tender. This morning I went to my dealerships anniversary and when I started it, it was showing less than half the usual charge. Rode it to a bakery to get some donuts and it died when I pulled into the parking lot. So......after eating a donut, I tried to start it. It fired up showing very little voltage....made it home, limping into the garage.....
Could this be the stator or (hopefully) just a battery with a bad cell?
What year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Sounds like a bad voltage regulator. If suggest taking it in and getting it checked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I changed out the stock battery with a Duracell ultra gel battery and it still doesn’t recharge. Ugh!!!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top