Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2018 Scout.
At 80 mph when I roll the throttle to wide open the bike will downshift to 5th or even 4th gear run to the redline, shift up, redline, shift up back into 6th. Without ever touching the clutch lever or shifter. It will do it at lower speeds but at 80 I can get it to happen consistently.
I have spoken to my local dealer and they aren't too sure and are looking into it. Any input or experiences with this that would offer insite would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I bet you got a couple of gremlins in your lower-end - better put a bell on that bike quickly to prevent them to wreak havoc with your bike ;)

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
You have Indians' Big Medicine transmission..

Very rare..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It
Sure it’s not your clutch slipping?
[/QUOT
Pretty sure the clutch isn't slipping. It doesn't act like it from a stop or any other gear.
I've read about the detent spring/ gear selector pin moving out place when the bike is dropped and the previous owner laid it over enough to scratch the underside of the pipes and the peg bracket. It just isn't doing the things described when that happens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
so you actually see the gears (numbers) changing on the display?

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
Since I've never had a safe enough place to run my Scout up to 8300 rpm (redline) in 5th gear, how fast are you going at redline (when your tranny shifts itself into 6th) ?

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
It

Pretty sure the clutch isn't slipping. It doesn't act like it from a stop or any other gear.
This is a typical sign of a worn or maladjusted clutch. Clutch slip typically manifests itself in the highest gear first. Take a look at the lever's freeplay and start saving for a clutch pack.

Motorcycle gearboxes do not automatically (unless it's a Hando DCT).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I've never had a safe enough place to run my Scout up to 8300 rpm (redline) in 5th gear, how fast are you going at redline (when your tranny shifts itself into 6th) ?
Dunno it was pushed into the small, close together numbers above 120

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a typical sign of a worn or maladjusted clutch. Clutch slip typically manifests itself in the highest gear first. Take a look at the lever's freeplay and start saving for a clutch pack.

Motorcycle gearboxes do not automatically (unless it's a Hando DCT).
It did start in 6th about 2 months ago. Was just a pain to get into, kept hanging in fifth, would have to downshift back to fifth then back up to sixth

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine does it, also. If I am in 4th and I go full throttle, the gear display will show 3rd and then 2nd depending on how fast I am going. The indicator will go back to 4th when I roll off the throttle or get up to speed. It's not actually shifting, just showing the numbers.
The above is an example, not specific to 4th. Happens in higher gears, as well.
There's almost no freeplay in the clutch lever.

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
You want free play in the lever. If there is no free play that means your clutch is not fully engaging.

What you’re experiencing is not normal. At all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
943 Posts
this would worry me a bit if the gear numbers are changing. It would lead me to believe there is undo pressures being applied to the gear sensor. If this is happening where else are these pressures being applied?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you actually feel the gears shift? Since you're not touching the clutch I would think this would be really rough and jerky. If so, take it to the dealer. If it's just the numbers changing on the display, don't worry about it. That's typical in my experience.

With respect to the gear position indicator, on the Scout it's not a true indicator, instead the gear is "calculated" based on detected wheel speed and engine RPM. It's not always correct and sometimes dances around. During quick accelerations as well as extended low-speed work in the friction zone, mine definitely dances around. I really don't pay it much attention or even look at the indicator much since I know it's just electrickery. I ride by feel and mentally count through the gears in my head, and always tap down a couple extra times when I'm stopped to make sure I'm in first.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
With respect to the gear position indicator, on the Scout it's not a true indicator, instead the gear is "calculated" based on detected wheel speed and engine RPM.
You mean it can’t tell you what gear it’s in unless you’re rolling? Or when you go through the gears with the ignition off? I find that hard to believe.

What does part 4017528 do? Or part 4013956 in previous years. Both labeled “switch, gear Indicator”.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You mean it can’t tell you what gear it’s in unless you’re rolling? Or when you go through the gears with the ignition off? I find that hard to believe.

What does part 4017528 do? Or part 4013956 in previous years. Both labeled “switch, gear Indicator”.
It absolutely won't tell you what gear you're in unless you're rolling. When the clutch is pulled in it displays "--".

I don't disagree that those part numbers are listed for the Scout, but they are also listed as being for the FTR, and we all know that Polaris' website isn't always correct about fitment. I don't want to spread misinformation but several threads on here have discussed the Scout gear sensor or lack thereof.

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/shift-indicator-acting-strange.282746/#post-2836532
Gear Indicator

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Odd

Seems like they fixed it on the 2020 Scout and Scout 60 btw. They have the same part as the FTR for this year on. And the FTR never shows “- -“, even while going through the gearbox before turning on the ignition.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts