Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In order to pass the time waiting for delivery of my new Scout, I'm constantly browsing forums and Youtube for any new ride reports, pix etc.

Every so often, usually on a HD related site but not always, I'll find comments about how the new Indians 'are not real Indian's', 'Fugly', 'Hideous', 'That thing doesn't deserve to be called a Scout' or my personal fave 'I refuse to call that an Indian, I will refer to it only as a Polaris'...

I don't get the vitriol. Everyone, especially the new Indian Motorcycle Company understands that they are a new company bringing new motorcycles to market, branded with a long dead marques name. I don't believe anyone buying one of the new bikes believes that their bike was built by the original Indian Motocycle company. What's equally perplexing is how earlier attempts to resurrect Indian was more or less accepted, especially considering those attempts were nothing more than rebadged older Harley Davidson designs. If anything, that should have raised the ire of the Indian and HD cognescenti.

As an Indian fan, the fact that we can now buy a new Indian, that is not a copy of anything else, is nothing short of amazing to me. As a fan of engineering and design, what this company has accomplished is remarkable. The simple fact is Polaris purchased the legal right to use this brand and has made a $100 million commitment to it. Not to mention the fact that they are an American $3 Billion/Year recreational vehicle designer and manufacturer with a 60+ year history. The previous owners were an aftermarket Harley shop and an investment company that wanted to create a boutique brand using outdated technology. I don't know about the naysayers but I know who I want designing and building my bikes.

On one forum, someone asked if anyone would buy the new Scout if it was badged as anything but an Indian. I had to ponder that for a while, and truthfully, I probably would not. It's just odd enough in design that if it was a Honda or even an HD I'd pass. But, because I personally believe that these new machines have every right to be called Indians and this was a brand new design that checked off enough of the right boxes, I came to desire the Scout more than any other bike in recent memory.

Thoughts, comments????

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with you. Sort of like politics - if you don't agree with me you're wrong, there is no compromise. Just thankful that now we have a choice. After riding HD since the early 70s it is nice to have something different that is well made. And remember haters will always hate (until they get a brain and can think on their own).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Different people have different tastes, and the "brand loyal" will always be brand loyal. I get the feeling from some of the comments that I've read on various other forums that some people feel threatened by the new Indians. There's really no other way to explain how much hate they spew. I don't really care. They're entitled to their opinion.

By the same token, I've never ridden a Harley that I completely fell in love with immediately the way I have with the Scout and the Vintage after riding them. Once. Every day I get on my lowly little V-Star 1100 and dream of riding that Vintage instead. Every time I take a ride up into the mountains I think about how the Scout will take those turns. I never got that after riding an Electra-Glide or a Heritage Softail or a Sportster - that feeling of "I need this bike!" was never there. In the two weeks since taking the demo rides the Indians are all I can think of. I need those bikes!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
There are all kinds of people in this world and some hold the belief that you are either "with me or against me". That type seems to be loudest and often drown-out the more reasonable among us, but I don't believe they represent the majority view in our hobby. Over the 50+ years I have been riding, I have owned HD's, Hondas, Suzukis, BMW's, and even a Cushman Super Eagle in my early days. Some of those bikes occupied space in my garage at the same time and I enjoyed them all. Back in the day of "early" motorcross and Hare Scrambles, I rode for Suzuki and that was a blast. Those guys were just as enthused about the sport as I was and I didn't see any "hate" from the factory or other competitors. Moving the clock forward... my former employer (I'm now retired) called HD a client and I had a chance to work with the folks running HD (pre-1987) and they were fine people...I didn't see any hate in any conversations or deeds from them. Then moving the calendar further ahead, I had the chance to field test the first Honda VTX's with the objective of suggesting accessories that needed to be brought to market (free use of a new VTX for a year is hard to beat). The folks at Honda USA were great and often went beyond the "agreement" to satisfy me, and I didn't see any hate from the factory guys even though they knew I had the "other" brand in my garage. I could go on, but maybe you get the jest of my point. Whether or not you work in the motorcycle industry or just enjoy the products you purchase, we are all enthusiasts and should respect one another (another human trait that seems to be in retreat). That doesn't mean we have to agree on what product is best or how we spend our time and money on our favorite bike. So, my best advice is to just ignore the disrespectful comments and avoid the situations that generate unfounded animosity. In other words...get out there and enjoy the ride!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
Here's the simple explanation;
Some people are threatened by something new and that puts makes them defensive of what is known.
Some people (most people) are scared of change and that makes them defensive of the old way or thing.
People who feel as if they need to be defensive immediately go on the offense. (Basic rule of war, right?) This can make people appear to be assholes.

And some people are just assholes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never ever liked Harleys. They have become a culture unto themselves. I saw a guy with a 30,000 Harley and it was purple and sparkly. The skulls, the tatoos... I think this idea of riding culture necessarily being Hells Angels wannabes has gone too far. Yes, there's a tough motorcycle guy image, a Gen-X image. Funny thing is that I see that culture sitting in custom choppers not Harleys. So, I really don't get HD.

I love Indian because it's classic Americana from an era before the Fonzi stereotype. I want to feel like a cowboy when I ride not a greaser.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Anxiously await the delivery of my Scout and honestly... Whatever... I'm just gonna enjoy my Scout, talk to everyone, be nice, no slamming the other guy. To each his/her own. I've never been so enthused as I am about Indian. Have been for years. Always said that someday I'm gonna own one and I will in December. No, it's not Indian from the past, it's Indian for today and I like'm all! I never wanted to ride or own an HD. A buddy of mine has four and he, his brother and wife jokingly say, "why not a HD?" and I always say, "I'm not tough enough to ride one..." I simply have no interest in them and I don't hate HD, some nice bikes, just not for me. Indian... Now THAT has my attention. Do I think it's better than everything else? What do I know? I like it and that's all that really matters at the end of the day. I'm the one putting the money down.

Good thread sledsnaxes!!!

Congrats to all Indian owners and future owners! :cool:

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would say they feel threatened with the choice of a better product after being told everyday and everyway what a wonderful bike a HD is, fiddlesticks I say. But there are many and I mean many who are willing to look at an alternative and an American alternative as well. I can well remember the ads in CW about don't you wish you could slap HD on your bike when you trade it in. Well those days are gone, I also remember people telling me how they were getting 1k more than they paid for the bike when they sold it after riding it a year, hell I'd take that too ! I heard Sonny Barger past president of Hell's Angles rides a victory and if I remember the quote from his book correctly, he said they should have ridden Honda's. But the original members wanted only u.s. made machinery and we're talking 1946 folks, so Indian would have been a viable choice back then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Harley riders here in Wisconsin your just another brick in the wall. When I go on big rides 40 to 400 motorcycles I only see 3 or 4 Roadstars no Indians yet. I can't wait to put my Vintage out there with all them HDs. Next week I hope. We have a small poker run this weekend will be on my Roadstar. Next weekend is a big ralley in Tomahawk I hope they get my Vintage out of the factory in time for my dealer to prep it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you have touched on an old rivalry that has been re-kindling itself.... The fact is most HD guys seem to want to check out my Vintage carefully, when they look in depth, they start seeing all of the things that are much better than HD has offered their customers and they like it. However, there has been that percentage of HD folks who have gone out of there way to slam the bike. To those I either leave them in the dust, or give them my usual "Oh, so you're riding a Hardly Worthlesson,the best bike made in China". All fun and games, so here's a funny story. Last week I pull up to a light on my Vintage, a guy pulls up next to me on a brand new Street Glide. I look over an nod a "hi" and he keeps both hands on the bars and just gives me a sneer. His girlfriend on the back looks over an mouths the words (so he can't hear) "nice bike". I say thanks. The light turns green and he hammers the throttle, I follow, letting him stay slightly ahead of me. As we go faster and faster the girlfriend starts shaking her head and laughing like "boys will be boys". So I take my left hand off the bars and mouth to her "one hand, one hand". I put my left hand behind my back and kept rolling on the throttle... Smoked him, he gave up as we rolled past 75. This was typical in the golden years of the Harley - Indian Wars, and it will now happen again. Sorry Harley...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
1)
Every so often, usually on a HD related site but not always, I'll find comments about how the new Indians 'are not real Indian's'...
Well, it's true. The last real Indian came from the Indian factory in 1949. Polaris likes to advertise that 1901, and "the first American motorcycle" and all that. But they just bought the badge. Good thing. Engines, suspension, and all the rest have progressed in the last 60 years.

2)
I don't get the vitriol.
I don't get that it is vitriol. I like the Eagles, cause they are the home team. Everywhere you go, you find clueless cuthberts who call themselves Cowpunk fans, cause they don't grasp the concept of home team. I like to make fun of them. It ain't vitriol; it's just joshing. What's the fun of being a fan if you can't bash the other guy? I bash Harleys all the time. Doesn't mean hate. I've even stopped to pick up parts that fell off Harleys I was following and returned them to the owner.

3)
... someone asked if anyone would buy the new Scout if it was badged as anything but an Indian. ... truthfully, I probably would not.
Boy, I would. It's so completely impossible these days to find a stark naked bike that is not either a Harley or a Harley wannabe. I crave a naked bike. Bikes, like women, do their best work naked. I want to see that engine. No plastic, no windshield not even a tiny one, no nothing but powerful machinery. Just so happens the Scout does all that and is drop dead gorgeous to boot. Other than the peanut tank and the bazooka exhausts, this thing is perfect.

4) No matter what forum, any time some contentious subject comes up, out come the peaceniks, the hater haters, the whateverheads, the PC respectophiles, trying to turn the world into Mohatma Ghandi's wet dream. Drives me nuts. They judge you for being judgemental and can't see the irony in that. If you don't like boisterous elbowing and shoving, you're missing out on life. Football and hockey and MMA are all fun. Gives you a chance to bump shoulders.

Drop on by my house. I got a cigar and a beer for ya. The HD guy can make fun of the beemerista in his thousand dollar paranoidal armored ATTGAT, the beemer guy can make fun of the HD rider with his fingerless glove leather vest wallet on a chain Halloween pirate outfit, the metric sport rider can rev his CBRRR1000RRRXXR to 24k rpm and pretend he's on the Isle of Man, ... hey, we'll all have fun.

Me, I'll make fun of them all. It's the friendly thing to do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1)Well, it's true. The last real Indian came from the Indian factory in 1949. Polaris...they just bought the badge.
If I can walk into a bike shop called "Indian Motorcycles of ??", touch, look at, sit on, ride and buy a real steel, rubber and aluminium motorcycle that says Indian all over it, including the official ownership paper from the Gov't, is it not a real Indian Motorcycle??? (Disclaimer: I'm assuming the ownership will say Indian and not Polaris like my Victory ownership did!)

3) Boy, I would. It's so completely impossible these days to find a stark naked bike that is not either a Harley or a Harley wannabe. Just so happens the Scout does all that and is drop dead gorgeous to boot.
All very true. But, the fact that it says Indian on it is the icing on the cake. That's what sealed the deal for me. Call me shallow but a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet to me..

4) No matter what forum, any time some contentious subject comes up, out come the peaceniks, the hater haters. They judge you for being judgemental and can't see the irony in that. If you don't like boisterous elbowing and shoving, you're missing out on life.
Yeah I get the free speech thing, friendly rivalry, taking the piss etc. What I don't get is the vocal hatred of a machine, an inanimate object, a commodity on the market. I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't 'hate' any motorcycle or manufacturer. That doesn't mean I don't think there aren't some godawful ugly looking bikes out there. I just ignore them and spend my money elsewhere.

Me, I'll make fun of them all. It's the friendly thing to do.
Isn't it though! And yeah, be great to do it over a cold beer and a good cigar!:D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Different people have different tastes, and the "brand loyal" will always be brand loyal. I get the feeling from some of the comments that I've read on various other forums that some people feel threatened by the new Indians. There's really no other way to explain how much hate they spew. I don't really care. They're entitled to their opinion.

By the same token, I've never ridden a Harley that I completely fell in love with immediately the way I have with the Scout and the Vintage after riding them. Once. Every day I get on my lowly little V-Star 1100 and dream of riding that Vintage instead. Every time I take a ride up into the mountains I think about how the Scout will take those turns. I never got that after riding an Electra-Glide or a Heritage Softail or a Sportster - that feeling of "I need this bike!" was never there. In the two weeks since taking the demo rides the Indians are all I can think of. I need those bikes!

You captured my sentiment exactly! I am waiting until December so that I can get a better interest rate as my credit goes up. (Just bought a house . . . and a car).

I can't wait! I keep looking at YouTube and drooling / dreaming. I have never been on a bike that evokes this much emotion for me.

As far as the haters, I have never been a Harley fan. Even in college, I took a marketing class, and they talked about how Harley has created brand loyalty like almost no other. I think it is a sickness, and I will quickly walk away from those people. They can't even concede that there are failings / issues / problems / design flaws with the designs of Harleys.

I took a test ride with a local Harley dealership, and scraped the floor boards on the first turn out of the parking lot. The whole rest of the ride I had to focus on how to turn this beast without scraping on a basic turn. I hardly got to enjoy the ride because of the lean issues, especially the lack of lean.

Anyhow, I can't wait for December. . . There is another ride event in Cottonwood, AZ on Sept. 19, 20, and 21 for those willing / able to come and try the new Scout and RoadMaster, as well as gawk at the two-tone paint. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
As alot of us we started with something other than a Harley. Personally, I raced in the dirt as a young boy and as I got older got into the Harleys. Owned a few Goldwings, and Yamaha's, all great bikes. Now in my mid 50's I can't handle the woods and my gut won't let me bend over on the crotch rockets, so now I ride a geiserglyde. The wife and I travel all over the country and have met some very interesting folks on the way. Indian, has always been an art deco favorite of mine and one day I will own one. The important thing to rremember is, " It doesn't matter what we ride, as long as we do ride." So, as always, Life is a journey, so Enjoy the Ride!...No matter what, and meet new aquaintances. Life is too short...

·
Registered
23 Posts
There will always be those that spread misery of some sort, the problem is they kind of spread falsehoods too. Yes Indian went under in 1953, and yes on a number of occasions investment firms tried to bring the company back. I think this time some folks are concerned because Polaris appears to have succeeded. No, Indian has not been in constant business since 1901. But you can say the same for Harley. Do you really think Harley has been in business since 1903? The fact is in 1969 AMF bought out the financially challenged motor company and owned it until 1981. Ever rode or owned an AMF Harley? They were terrible, they broke down all the time and leaked oil something fierce. This was nothing more than a company that bought Harley and the rights to use the moniker and make money from it. An investment group bought the troubled Harley from AMF in 1981, one of the guys that headed that group was Willy G. If you listen to interviews by him you'll here him mention the day that they bought the company was the best and worst day of his life. Best because he felt that the family got the company back. Worst because all he had after signing the deal was an $80M debt and a product that was horrible. Have to give them credit, they overcame and brought the company roaring back. So that's the real world, each has had it's share of problems. Companies get bought and sold, that's reality. Sometimes those buying are true to the brands heritage, sometimes that are not. Just glad that Polaris is taking the heritage of Indian seriously.

·
Aspire to inspire before you expire
191 Posts
I've been feeling the snub for years--I got off my CBR100 and got on a Vespa! Now NO ONE will wave except for fellow scooterists! I literally live a mile from a big Harley dealership and I see dozens of the well costumed Hog riders daily. Fortunately the new Indian dealer is a half mile from my house, so I will get some nice waves before the snubbing resumes. My best experience yet was when I pulled up at the summit of Pike's Peak and the Harley guys all stopped high fiving each other as I putted up to them and said "Hi!" on my 150cc scoot.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
I've been feeling the snub for years--I got off my CBR100 and got on a Vespa! Now NO ONE will wave except for fellow scooterists! I literally live a mile from a big Harley dealership and I see dozens of the well costumed Hog riders daily. Fortunately the new Indian dealer is a half mile from my house, so I will get some nice waves before the snubbing resumes. My best experience yet was when I pulled up at the summit of Pike's Peak and the Harley guys all stopped high fiving each other as I putted up to them and said "Hi!" on my 150cc scoot.
LMAO! Welcome to the boards J33.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey J33 - ride by me on your scooter and I'll wave - I've ridden BMW's for years (waiting for my Scout to come in) and I wave to everyone on 2 wheels! I ride scooters all the time when I go to Bermuda and the Bahamas - 2 wheels are just FUN! :cool:

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Seen animosity from other brands different from my own even towards HD when Riding them .. Will see it with Ford vs Chevy and many others .. Even HD Owners will knock other Models with the VRod catching it the worst and the Sportster a close 2nd .. Some even Feel the true HD Model died with the Shovelhead and the Advent of the EVO Engine which was without Question HD's most reliable engine after the AMF Shovelheads very lousy Maintenance of Repairs .. The Twin Cam had so many problems as well, is what Steered me to Victory which now have 40,000 totally trouble free miles on .. I am up in the air here considering a Scout as a 2nd Ride or maybe going all the way and just get a Roadmaster and be done .. Chances are will go with the Former and enjoy the Scout for a while as like having a Peppy 2nd ride around for solo rides alone which is 80% of my Riding anyway .. Time will tell ..

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
When I got my first look at the Scout, I thought it was kind of ugly. I wasn't expecting it is all. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Now I love it! I've witnessed and heard that from many people. I ordered one right away when I got home. The problem is.....that they just haven't looked at it enough yet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts