Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current HD owner, very interested in the Roadmaster. Went to the local dealer yesterday to look at the Roadmaster. It looks much better in person than online. I do almost all of the routine service on my Harley and wonder about the maintainability on the Roadmaster. Does anyone have any experience doing their own service. e.g. The skirted front fender makes it look laborious to service the front brakes. Is there any problems using a lift on the bike? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I do my own work also, the front isn't a problem and you can lift the bike on the bottom of the motor.
The rear tire is a different story, it has to be raised high enough to allow the rear axle bolt to drop below the pipes in order to remove.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Current HD owner, very interested in the Roadmaster. Went to the local dealer yesterday to look at the Roadmaster. It looks much better in person than online. I do almost all of the routine service on my Harley and wonder about the maintainability on the Roadmaster. Does anyone have any experience doing their own service. e.g. The skirted front fender makes it look laborious to service the front brakes. Is there any problems using a lift on the bike? Thanks for any input.
The only problem I have experienced is that the Chieftain is quite long and it does not fit on all lifts. I also have a blackjack, we are modifying my one ride in shoe to work with the Chieftain so it can go on my nephews lift then we can service his Fatboy and my Indian

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Good morning,
Like Buck says, removing the front wheel and accessing the front calipers isn't difficult. Removing the rear wheel, as is the case with several different touring bikes, easier if you have access to a drop-leaf motorcycle lift. Outside of that I haven't found anything on my Chieftain that was harder to get to than was the case with my Street Glide.
--- Randall

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I've got a Service Manual on order and arriving next week. I'm also planning on getting a J & S Jack. I'm planing on doing as much service as I can myself since the closest dealership is 135 miles away.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you do go with the Roadmaster which is one hell of a bike,:) I would also get the service manual it's expensive but worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If you do go with the Roadmaster which is one hell of a bike,:) I would also get the service manual it's expensive but worth the investment.
I buy a manual with every bike I buy and let the next owner have it when I sell it. Bought one for my Chieftain the day I picked it up.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I have acquired the habit of getting a service manual for every vehicle I own (almost). My dad always bartered for a manual whenever he bought a new car. I still have his service manual for his 1964 Rambler, his Farmall tractors, and others. I have a whole library of manuals that I have kept. If I sell a vehicle, I keep the manuals for myself. I just like them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I buy a manual with every bike I buy and let the next owner have it when I sell it. Bought one for my Chieftain the day I picked it up.
That's great, wish I'd have gotten one with the bikes I've bought in the past.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,755 Posts
I have acquired the habit of getting a service manual for every vehicle I own (almost). My dad always bartered for a manual whenever he bought a new car. I still have his service manual for his 1964 Rambler, his Farmall tractors, and others. I have a whole library of manuals that I have kept. If I sell a vehicle, I keep the manuals for myself. I just like them.
I keep all of my service manuals. I just never know when I may need them again.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
That's great, wish I'd have gotten one with the bikes I've bought in the past.
I am a retired Auto mechanic and I do all of my own work so I always buy a manual because I want the work done right. I experienced one bad dealer that screwed up my 2004 Kawasaki 1500 from day one. It had a rattle and loud thud going over bumps, the dealers mechanic said it was normal. Two things I found wrong. The tank insulators were missing on the right side of the fuel tank and the steering stem bolt was never torqued and it came loose. So much for their PDI and service.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with getting a service manual. I have always gotten one as soon as I get a new bike. However, the Indian manual must be printed on gold leaf. But even at that price, it is a must to have. Thanks for everyone's replies to my questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts