Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or whatever jingles your bells. I do not own an Indian yet and I'm doing my research before purchasing my last bike.

I have been told recently that there are a number of Chinese sourced parts on the Indians, particularly electrical components. I don't want to believe such a thing, but in these times of international sourcing I need to find out if it's true. I'm sure that Polaris is too busy to provide an answer to this question and the dealers are out there to sell bikes. If I show reluctance to purchase due to parts content I'll bet that I'll be told that there are no Chinese parts on the bike; so before that happens I'm turning to you Indian loyalists that will give me a straight answer.

Are there Chinese sourced parts on these pieces of Americana? Thanks to all of you who actually look to see.

Beautiful bikes. They're art that can be ridden and enjoyed.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hard to find anything all USA these days my friend. Couldn't tell you the % nor the components Country of Origin. I can tell you that these bikes are truly a slice of Americana being put together by fine Americans in Iowa and contributing to the local economies in numerous cities and states both here and abroad. If the Country of Origin of some of the parts inside these fabulous bikes is your determining factor then I respectfully have to disagree with the use of that criteria. While we don't like the system, it's awfully tough bucking it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Steve I'll check out the threads. I had no idea that this would be such a hot topic as to have that many posts.:)

Reactions: the doctor

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Thanks Steve I'll check out the threads. I had no idea that this would be such a hot topic as to have that many posts.:)
You're welcome. Yep, kind of a sore subject for some :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
As one of the other posts have said we live in a global market & all the parts would be to Indian spec & design if that was your only concern stopping you from buying a Indian with there warranty buy 2 & keep the country going

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would think you would be hard pressed to find ANYTHING of any complexity that did not have foreign sourced parts. Made in the USA is not always a mark of excellence. Swiss watch, German automobile, Colombian coffee, etc. And if you intend on putting gasoline in your vehicle chances are the oil was sourced from outside the U.S.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hello all and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or whatever jingles your bells. I do not own an Indian yet and I'm doing my research before purchasing my last bike.

I have been told recently that there are a number of Chinese sourced parts on the Indians, particularly electrical components. I don't want to believe such a thing, but in these times of international sourcing I need to find out if it's true. I'm sure that Polaris is too busy to provide an answer to this question and the dealers are out there to sell bikes. If I show reluctance to purchase due to parts content I'll bet that I'll be told that there are no Chinese parts on the bike; so before that happens I'm turning to you Indian loyalists that will give me a straight answer.

Are there Chinese sourced parts on these pieces of Americana? Thanks to all of you who actually look to see.

Beautiful bikes. They're art that can be ridden and enjoyed.
I once bought a Chinese motocross bike. (Gio) did not want to pay for a honda. The gio cost me $800.00 new I rode the hell out of it for four years and it never broke down. The only thing that broke were my ribs (at 60 years) That is why I got rid of it

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
I will venture out on a limb here, based solely upon what I've read around, and say the Indian/Victory have more American content than any other mass produced American brand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the insight. I'm not concerned with some foreign content on the bike, what I am concerned about is Chinese electrical content. I'm in manufacturing on the service end and Chinese printed circuit boards do not hold up well to environmental changes, moisture and vibration. Chinese manufacturing is currently at about the same level as Japanese manufacturing in the early 1960s. The cry that was heard throughout the land was the products from Japan were crap, but it was really inexpensive crap so lets use it. Japanese manufacturing did not really become the quality giant that we all know about until the mid to late 70's.

So before I offend anyone, I'm not insinuating anything about the quality of Indian bikes, nor am I saying that foreign content is a major factor in my decision to purchase an Indian, I am however attempting to identify and quantify the issues I may have with electronic components based on my industrial field service experience.

The Indian brand is still on the top of my list of future bikes. :)

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
My VTX 1800 was the most trouble free bike I ever owned, I did research on many bikes before going to Indian & found all bikes had foreign parts. Any concerns I had with Indian was covered by the 5 year warranty. I knew I was not going to be a normal part of the masses and go back to Harley (no disrespect to my HD friends) I am very happy owner of a Springfield Blue 2014 Vintage. Good luck on your research & selection

·
Registered
132 Posts
my question to you because inquiring minds want to know isssss ; whats the alternative???? I bought a good german shaver the Braun and guess what ; yes you guessed it SIGH chinese. So any more info on your research???

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,819 Posts
We as consumers caused the trend to Chinese parts. We proved it by going to Wal-Mart in droves. We buy the least expensive thing we can get by with. Just how many would spend $5,000 more for something like a Roadmaster because it had all American made parts. I would so maybe that's not a good example. Fact is we cause this so may as well shut up and live with it. Besides, if you ever looked at a manufacturing line close when we had it here, you'd see bad parts being shipped all the time. You try to produce the maximum so you would get a raise or bonus. I've been there and I saw what happens to those that don't produce or have high scrap rates so you push the limit of acceptable. So being American made doesn't mean that much except we are losing jobs because we don't anymore. JMO

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
my question to you because inquiring minds want to know isssss ; whats the alternative???? I bought a good german shaver the Braun and guess what ; yes you guessed it SIGH chinese. So any more info on your research???
I think the list of American circuit board manufacturers is a short list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts