Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the last few times I checked the psi in my rear shock that I ended adding air to it to raise it back to 10 psi.

Does the shock lose pressure from riding?

I set it at 10 psi because with cargo in the bags I am at about 225lbs weight on the bike.

Thanks.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,058 Posts
Yes. I'll air mine up to about 100 psi for riding two up. The next weekend, it'll be down to about 75.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,422 Posts
WIth two up riding I will air it up to about 140 psi. Normally it will drop within a few days to about 70 psi and then hold there. They will leak down. The Fox units that were first put on the Indians did have some serious leak down issues. Mine was changed out for that. The newer one holds air better but it still will leak down. Could likely be the line extension I put on it to make it easier to air up but this does not really concern me. Not a big deal to air it up. I got a battery operated air pump from Amazon that you program to a set amount and it will run and slowly go to that pressure. It does work on tires but not very well. Works perfectly on the air shock. Dean

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was starting to think I was having a problem with the shock. I recently read in the manual that you will lose 5 psi every time you check the psi or hook up the pump valve to the shock.

Thanks again!

·
Rider
1,060 Posts
Mine did.
Lost about 25 lbs in 1 1/2 hr ride.
Less standing but leaked like crazy.
I changed schrader valve core.
I took it in for service and they changed out valve assy and said they didnt see any leak.
Drove home from dealer and lost 25lbs.
They then ordered a whole new setup.
It has only lost about 5lbs in 2 months!
Its even much colder in garage so pretty much id say didnt lose air.
It sucks having to pump up to 50 lbs every ride.
They apparantly know they got a boatload of crappy shox out there so if you are under warrantee and push them they will prob replace it.
Remember the squeaky wheel........

·
Rider
1,060 Posts
Oh and as far as losing air removing pump what you can do is pump it up to pressure adding 5 psi then remove pump.
Put pump back on and note pressure.
This is how much difference drop you have removing pump.
Do it one or twice more to verify repeatability.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine did.
Lost about 25 lbs in 1 1/2 hr ride.
Less standing but leaked like crazy.
I changed schrader valve core.
I took it in for service and they changed out valve assy and said they didnt see any leak.
Drove home from dealer and lost 25lbs.
They then ordered a whole new setup.
It has only lost about 5lbs in 2 months!
Its even much colder in garage so pretty much id say didnt lose air.
It sucks having to pump up to 50 lbs every ride.
They apparantly know they got a boatload of crappy shox out there so if you are under warrantee and push them they will prob replace it.
Remember the squeaky wheel........
Thanks, good to know. I will keep an eye on it and take it in if it continues.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I check mine about once a month. I put twice the amount recommended, I’m about 235 lbs and put 60psi. Not uncommon for the air to leak out over time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine leaks down to zero within days. It's clearly an issue. Are the new shocks a different part number? If so I'm wondering if itd be worth grabbing one off a salvaged bike.

·
Rider
505 Posts
You might want to check the hose and Schrader valve core before you drop coin on a whole new assembly. There have been several that said they found leaking connections at the hose. Good luck.
Mine leaks down to zero within days. It's clearly an issue. Are the new shocks a different part number? If so I'm wondering if itd be worth grabbing one off a salvaged bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You might want to check the hose and Schrader valve core before you drop coin on a whole new assembly. There have been several that said they found leaking connections at the hose. Good luck.
Roger that. I'll go ahead and replace the schrader valve and start there. Thanks for the advice.

·
Bronze member
2,572 Posts
Just like tires, your shock will leak down eventually. My old HDs with rear air shocks would do the samething.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed that the last few times I checked the psi in my rear shock that I ended adding air to it to raise it back to 10 psi.

Does the shock lose pressure from riding?

I set it at 10 psi because with cargo in the bags I am at about 225lbs weight on the bike.

Thanks.
Mine was leaking, dealership replaced it under warranty with no issues.

·
Rider
943 Posts
For air to leak out there has to be a leak. It sounds like a duh statement but many people believe that things just lose air over time. Objects made to hold air are made to not leak and if they do there is something to repair. Tires, wheels and air shocks fall into the category of holding air and should not leak if in good condition. Tires according to Goodyear will lose 1 pound of air pressure for every 10 degrees the temp drops likewise, they will gain the same as temps rise. I would think that the air shock system would be more susceptible to temperature changes. I could be wrong about that since there is a very low volume of air to be effected.

As someone else suggested use soapy water to check the airlines and the shock. To little soap in the water and it will not bubble when making the soapy water mix 10 times the soap you think you need and it will bubble the way it should.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts