Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a cold, rainy Sunday in Wisconsin today, so instead of riding, I've been enjoying all the old threads. Some really great pictures and stories to pass the time. Saw a few old discussions about naming your Indian motorcycle that caught my eye. Some owners named their bikes, some scoffed at the idea. Some gave male names, some female names. I thought I would start a new discussion to see if there are any recent christenings, and if so, is there a story behind the name? I, for one, have decided to give a name to my new Indian Vintage. It's a female name. I'll tell you why.

As I sat here watching the rain on the windows thinking about possible names for my Indian, I swear I heard a female, hauntingly melodic voice coming from the garage. When I went out to look, there was no one there. But I did see something that resembled a glistening, beautiful, shapely maiden with long golden hair. It was my new Vintage. I felt a strong urge to move toward the bike, sit on the saddle, and take her out for a ride.

This has happened many times since I brought her home a week ago. Suddenly, that ghostly song will drift into my brain and I have a strong urge to go for a ride on the Vintage.

So I've decided to name my Vintage "Lorelei".

The legend of Lorelei tells of a beautiful young maiden who sits on a large rock beside the Rhine river in Germany. She slowly combs her long golden hair and sings a haunting siren song as sailors pass by. The song is so mystical and alluring that some of the sailors become distracted and crash their vessels onto the rocky shore.

I have heard another legend that every Indian motorcycle has its own spirit. Something to do with Native American spirit animals. I believe the spirit of Lorelei may have attached itself to my VIntage as it rolled off the assembly line. I can only hope that the spirit within my bike is benevolent, and that I will never be so distracted that I crash upon the rocks!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the middle of Sac and Fox Nation and mine is just motorcycle.
Fair enough. I wouldn't feel right about giving my bike a name from Native American culture myself. I am of German descent, so I figured a name taken from a German legend would not be non-pc or offensive. Polaris is even moving away from bike names having to do with Native American culture.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,535 Posts
I name all my motorcycles.
1977 Yamaha XS750 - Wilda.
2019 FTR1200RR - Pocahontas.
2021 Vintage - ‘Lo (short for Buffalo).
2022 Chief - Lita (After Lita Ford, 62 and still rocking. Just like me! “Lita the Harley eater.”)

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
222 Posts
I name all my bikes. This one is Adeline, named after Adeline Van Buren of "The Van Buren Sisters:" the 2nd and 3rd women to ride their motorcycles (Indians) across the country.

Also, hello from Stoughton.

Reactions: Britroy and Kokuma

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
307 Posts
Its a cold, rainy Sunday in Wisconsin today, so instead of riding, I've been enjoying all the old threads. Some really great pictures and stories to pass the time. Saw a few old discussions about naming your Indian motorcycle that caught my eye. Some owners named their bikes, some scoffed at the idea. Some gave male names, some female names. I thought I would start a new discussion to see if there are any recent christenings, and if so, is there a story behind the name? I, for one, have decided to give a name to my new Indian Vintage. It's a female name. I'll tell you why.

As I sat here watching the rain on the windows thinking about possible names for my Indian, I swear I heard a female, hauntingly melodic voice coming from the garage. When I went out to look, there was no one there. But I did see something that resembled a glistening, beautiful, shapely maiden with long golden hair. It was my new Vintage. I felt a strong urge to move toward the bike, sit on the saddle, and take her out for a ride.

This has happened many times since I brought her home a week ago. Suddenly, that ghostly song will drift into my brain and I have a strong urge to go for a ride on the Vintage.

The legend of Lorelei tells of a beautiful young maiden who sits on a large rock beside the Rhine river in Germany. She slowly combs her long golden hair and sings a haunting siren song as sailors pass by. The song is so mystical and alluring that some of the sailors become distracted and crash their vessels onto the rocky shore.

I have heard another legend that every Indian motorcycle has its own spirit. Something to do with Native American spirit animals. I believe the spirit of Lorelei may have attached itself to my VIntage as it rolled off the assembly line. I can only hope that the spirit within my bike is benevolent, and that I will never be so distracted that I crash upon the rocks!

Yeah, the singing. That must have been what made them crash on the rocks.
Sure it was.

Yeah, that’s the ticket!!!

(That song has so many compound curves)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I previously had a vulcan 900 that I decked out with a chief/drifter front fender and some other Indian bits, my user name was that bike's name (a little bit but not enough to count- joke from an Eastern Band Cherokee friend of mine about every white person in the south claiming to be a half breed because of a great great great great great grandma princess. Admittedly, I am part Eastern Band, but not raised in the culture and can't speak for anyone else's experience but my own).

My current scout is earning her name. My first thought on the ride home with it was "it's mine, and it's smaller than my last bike, so it isn't a horse it's a pony. It's My Little Pony." I am trying really hard to not let that name stick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remembering a few words from those who obviously more knowledgeable than myself. Building respect and relationships with those things that assist you life is important. In my grandfather’s grandfather days...A horse. You would care and assure the horse would be in good health, because if the horse wasn’t in good health it can assist you in your life. I apply this same principle with my house. Although somewhat inanimate I believe still have a spirit or a soul. I take care of the house because takes care of me and my family. That relationship is solid. The same with my bike. I respect and have built a relationship, because ultimately my life is truly based on the health and well being of my bike. And as such I named Hinmatóom sik’em in my language. Which in some way translates to thunder horse, because it make a roaring sound as we travel together. Kal’o

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
222 Posts
Remembering a few words from those who obviously more knowledgeable than myself. Building respect and relationships with those things that assist you life is important. In my grandfather’s grandfather days...A horse. You would care and assure the horse would be in good health, because if the horse wasn’t in good health it can assist you in your life. I apply this same principle with my house. Although somewhat inanimate I believe still have a spirit or a soul. I take care of the house because takes care of me and my family. That relationship is solid. The same with my bike. I respect and have built a relationship, because ultimately my life is truly based on the health and well being of my bike. And as such I named Hinmatóom sik’em in my language. Which in some way translates to thunder horse, because it make a roaring sound as we travel together. Kal’o
It's kinda funny...before I decided on Adeline, which took me a long time, I wanted to call the bike Roaring Horse; and every time the bike does good, I pat it on the tank. I do the same with my car, too, although I've never named a car...well, I named my first one, which was simply "little red car."

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My Chieftain Limited is "Senator Warren". Like her, it claims to be an Indian.
Lol.
That was a good one.

Slap a name on a piece of machinery assembled in Iowa with a bunch of Chinese parts and suddenly it's a "spiritual journey" into.....myth and superstition.

I love all my machines. Only name my tractors :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.