Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Does Indian/Polaris Care What We Think?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Maybe some more choices? These apply to every company, not just Polaris:
  1. Polaris cares, but isn't always sure exactly what to do. Managing is difficult!
  2. Polaris cares, but their hands are tied by regulations that they have to meet in lieu of performance.
  3. Polaris cares, but they lack the skills to do a better job. Can't blame anyone for this. Lots of businesses fail.
  4. Polaris cares, but is resigned to accept some loss as a cost of doing business, rather than doing a smarter job.
  5. Polaris cares, but they are mechanics. They don't run software projects. They "hire the best people" and cross their fingers.
  6. Polaris cares, but it costs a fortune to manufacture domestically. You have to pay your workers a living wage. It's almost not worthwhile. Cut some corners.

·
Rider
1,337 Posts
Now you've got the knack does two posted polls fall under the 'poll frenzy' category? :cool::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Polaris cares about sales and keeping their shareholders happy. Period. If it means appeasing the owners and it didn't eat into the profits too deeply, they will do it all day.
Agreed, assuming they know the best way to do that. Often they appease their shareholders in the short term, which leads to their demise in the long term.

Another theory is that a company will force a loss on purpose, in order to gain a tax advantage. It has to be disguised as a plausible loss though.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I’ve been biting my tongue wondering if I should post this but I’m gunna. Companies have a duty of care. Large corporations also. We do our best to bring to light the short comings of a product that we have purchased on good faith and no one seems to be listening. We have varying opinions and make suggestions and purchase work arounds and still no one is taking any notice. And just in case they are monitoring our feedback and problems, they are still in my opinion sitting on their hands. I maintain that it will take some poor bloke or girl to get killed ( through no fault of their own mind you) before anyone in Polaris does anything remotely close to a duty of care. Shoot me down, do what you like, I’ve said it and that’s just me. 👊😎

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would like to believe Polaris cares and wants to keep the Indian line viable.Having said that I also believe they have bitten off more than there limited R&D and or software depts can handle by releasing 2 new platforms so close together both with first year blues and the large cruiser won the battle of the budget.This Covid crap isn't helping either.Everything is affecting the all important bottom line and the all important shareholder value.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
IMHO the poll is simply too limited — almost either/or. It’s a spectrum. No massive corporation can respond with alacrity to every tiny customer complaint. It’s like moving a supertanker.

The key is not the mothership — it’s the dealers. They take care of the day-to-day issues. They handle tactics while Polaris handles strategy. And responsiveness to owner feedback Is difficult for us to read. There are marketing and product development teams that handle that stuff. And a bunch of liability lawyers. We may send in feedback, we may answer surveys, but who knows how much weight these are given in the boardroom?

·
Silver member
5,287 Posts
I believe Polaris does care.
Sure its about making money; what company isn't in business for that.
I believe Polaris cares about providing a great product for the consumer to love while ensuring the Indian brand name is here to stay; If they didn't care their product would show it and no one would be buying their products/brand.
I own a 2017 Scout and a 2018 Chieftain and absolutely love them both; superb bikes IMO.
Saying that; their over the counter parts are grossly overpriced; but beside this I believe Polaris does care. If they didn't care would they be investing millions into their R&D or in flat track racing in which they've been kicking ass since they've been back in racing.
There not perfect but neither is any other company trying to sell to an ever changing market.

I like what @HINK mentioned about the dealerships; so true. My local dealership is fantastic; you practically feel like family every time you walk in their and I didn't even buy my Chieftain from them and they're still great to deal with.

·
Silver member
5,043 Posts
I think they care. They fix their issues via the recalls. It just takes them awhile to work it out and get it going.

Where they faultier is keeping their dealers happy and giving them some leeway with cooperate demands. Like the 30K display they required just to promote the FTR line-up. If you want that bike to be hugely promoted don't kick the dealers teeth-in financially just to get them on the showroom floor. Just send them the display and let them do the work of selling the product for you.

And some dealer control is good, but we don't need cookie cutter dealers with the exact same displays. Especially, in smaller markets. Let the dealers have slightly smaller floor spaces and few bikes less in inventory so they can keep things rolling financially. Indian is not HD. And no one wants Indian to be that big. We just want dependable, fun, unique, and Indian products we can be proud to ride.

And, they need to do better with having enough parts and accessories available so that we don't wait weeks on some simple accessory or part we need if something does fail. I would guess that is a tough one to figure out, but they can do better...

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMHO the poll is simply too limited — almost either/or. It’s a spectrum. No massive corporation can respond with alacrity to every tiny customer complaint. It’s like moving a supertanker.

The key is not the mothership — it’s the dealers. They take care of the day-to-day issues. They handle tactics while Polaris handles strategy. And responsiveness to owner feedback Is difficult for us to read. There are marketing and product development teams that handle that stuff. And a bunch of liability lawyers. We may send in feedback, we may answer surveys, but who knows how much weight these are given in the boardroom?
I agree. Let's pull it and try to come up with a different one. Thx!

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
I travel as a road hand,installing new and repairing old manufacturing equipment.
And the larger the company ,the more engineer's they rely on.
I gotta say,some are really good,some are left field,yet all can make it look like they made more money out of a bad choice,even when it lost money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Polaris tries to grab a piece of the HD market with Victory and never really succeed so they pull the plug! Now they put all their eggs in Indian heritage basket and nail it! Even in this pandemic period sales grows up by 5%! The new engine in the Challenger is simply nothing we have seen in an American bagger , I will not be surprised to see this engine ending up in the Roadmaster. I think the Polaris engineering team does a hell of a job, that's why I believe we have seen nothing yet, they know what to do to be on top of the hill!

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm not scared to put my money on them period!

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
I'm sure they care about us because we are their beta testers and if not for us, who else would help them work out their issues on clacking, Ride command glitches, Chieftain fuel rail pinching issues, Challenger misfiring, Gear sensor malfunctions, Scout starter issues, FTR fueling issues, FTR map issues, etc., etc. ,etc. They would have to solve these issues at the factory thru months and months of testing with paid employees, unable to sell bikes until all that is properly worked thru. We are all valuable unpaid test monkeys and they love us dearly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Organizational Dysfunction, or rather the amount of it within the company is clear here.
If a manager does not like a brilliant, 'punk' codewriter and prefers a buttsmooch ticket puncher, game over.
Polaris is big enough to have Gamma's in positions of authority, organizational poison. Just look at H-D.

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
Organizational Dysfunction, or rather the amount of it within the company is clear here.
If a manager does not like a brilliant, 'punk' codewriter and prefers a buttsmooch ticket puncher, game over.
Polaris is big enough to have Gamma's in positions of authority, organizational poison. Just look at H-D.
You got that right,when the office personal grows faster than the hourly employees,I like to call that top heavy,then the pay cuts and large turnover of hourly employees,mark the death roll for a company

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure they care about us because we are their beta testers and if not for us, who else would help them work out their issues on clacking, Ride command glitches, Chieftain fuel rail pinching issues, Challenger misfiring, Gear sensor malfunctions, Scout starter issues, FTR fueling issues, FTR map issues, etc., etc. ,etc. They would have to solve these issues at the factory thru months and months of testing with paid employees, unable to sell bikes until all that is properly worked thru. We are all valuable unpaid test monkeys and they love us dearly.
Gort in a funny way you nail it! You owe me a keyboard! I spit my coffee all over it reading your post! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts