Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Challenger at the end of April and got about just over 3000 miles on it but I can't help the fact that the engine sounds so strange. My last bike was a Yamaha Raider which was really loud and rumbled a lot it. But this 108 away different. Any of you have opinions on the sound of the motor.
It's my only real complaint with the bike (motor sound) except the ride command but it fricken rails and it's very fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just over 1500 miles on my standard Challenger with the Ride Command added. I agree that the sound is significantly different. But I'm gaining a new respect for a quieter bike. The wife and neighbors love not hearing me roll in late at night. And the wife and I really enjoy the lower sound while at speed. That said, I'm still waiting on the air box to do stage 1. I'll pick the slip on that does the most for performance vs sound or looks. TAB slip ons or Indian's new ones. I'm also waiting on hwy pegs and rear hwy bars. The limited branded choices and amount of those that are on backorder isn't the best, but what ya gonna do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine makes the clicking all the time and I deactivated the rear cylinder cut off. But no lights or codes thrown. It just annoying to hear when riding helmet free in FL. I've have tried to post a video back buy GS10+ won't let me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A few have commented that with the overhead cam it sounds like a sewing machine and I would have to agree.
Sounds better since I put the intake and Tabs on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah a sewing machine, thats the perfect way to describe the sound mine makes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get the sewing machine noise but i also get a fluttering almost chirping noise when getting on the throttle. Anyone noticed it before?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,840 Posts
My Scout has some of those sounds too. I think the overhead cams have a lot to do with it. I came from a Chieftain which also had the gear whine from the primary but also had it's own noises. We have to allow for some mechanical noise being as we are essentially straddling an engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That fluttering noise could be and exhaust leak. If it get louder then engine speed grows. Simple fix just check for proper torque on exhaust clamps and bolts. Do not over tighten

·
Registered
124 Posts
NOT to confuse this with Rear Cyl Deactivation sound ((which seems to come up randomly in the FB group... “at idle it sounds like my engine threw a rod, what’s wrong?” Nothing is wrong, read owners manual... btw my 2cents on rear cyl deact:
I use it & believe it’s a smart design... in hot conditions as outlined in the manual it turns the rear cylinder into a big air pump cooling that head & exhaust header. Advanced engine tech, and I don’t think the engineers are dummies.))
Back to topic, Engine Noise:
Mine initially sounded as many describe (sewing machine, tick/clicking.) I accepted that as sitting above overhead cams & primary gears, and still believe that’s normal.

At 500mi service added Stage1 Air; that seemed to quiet it a bit (just a little.)
At 1000mi I added the TAB decat & slip-ons with 1.75 baffles ...honestly can’t say if that quieted the idle “noises” or not as I was just focused on the new overall sound & perf which I really like!
Then at 1200mi I did two things that I’m going to say DID improve engine low-rpm sound as well as overall smoothness: I added a billet reusable oil filter (K&P Engineering) and switched to Amsoil (15w60.)
Let’s skip the forever oil brand debate; I really think the oil filter is worth discussing because of what it’s doing. In 2013 Engine Labs did a review of billet filters, it’s a good read. K&P Engineering (Colorado) have been making billet filters a long time for many applications, including aircraft. Their site is worth browsing, esp the tab TECHNICAL INFO / Primer on Filtration.
Bottomline, these filters are flowing 6x more oil vs standard media filters while maintaining oem filtration. That might be a big deal & something our engines like?? The vibe I get from my bike says YES.
One more twist... at that filter/oil change I was an idiot and overfilled the oil by 3/4qt. Yep dummy,, I didn’t follow the manual (from cold engine, run 30sec then check.) Big diff on stick if oil is hot. And then I ran the bike that way on a 1000mi 3-day trip... realized my error & removed the excess 3/4 qt. Then worried if the under tank air filter was oil soaked, so I checked it ...clean.
Guys, -COULD IT BE that the higher flow rate prevented the excess oil from “backing up” somewhere in the system and blowing up into the filter??

4000mi now and running smooth & strong, and quieter at idle.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Typically the crankcase breather flows into the air intake at or near the air filter. If engine is over filled, the excess tends to soak the air filter with oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GMAN1, how did the Tab Decat work out? I have the tab BAM sticks w/ zombies, z-rings and torque cones. My scoot is louder but not much rumble. Dose the decat fix that? I plan on getting one once DynoJet come out with fuel management system.

·
Registered
124 Posts
GMAN1, how did the Tab Decat work out? I have the tab BAM sticks w/ zombies, z-rings and torque cones. My scoot is louder but not much rumble. Dose the decat fix that? I plan on getting one once DynoJet come out with fuel management system.
Bowser- best way to answer is to point you to the previous long post on topic. Check this & all comments. Good stuff...

TAB Performance Crossover

·
Registered
124 Posts
Typically the crankcase breather flows into the air intake at or near the air filter. If engine is over filled, the excess tends to soak the air filter with oil.
That’s my understanding too OldTimer
Hence I expected to find the air filter soaked after running 1000mi with almost a quart overfill. Surprised & happy it wasn’t; which again makes me think the increased flow rate thru the running engine is a good thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts