Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

281 - 300 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the indian stage one and have moved the yellow fuel up to 3 and it got rid of the popping on upshifts.
On 3.5 on yellow and no better. Was going to go up to 4 until I saw Enzo's post.
Set up:
American Customs baffles and cat. removed with American Customs diverter
K&N open A/C, P/N RC-9880
2014 cams, which are more aggressive than newer ones
All flashes done

·
Registered
174 Posts
WOW, thanx Enzo! Sure glad I have a drivers backrest! Seriously, did not do many miles today, enough to bring a big smile on my face! Popping is gone, will know for sure on Sunday about the torque plus when I'm next to my buddies tricked out Chieftain again. Only thing I'm still sad about is it is so hard to go above 110. I'm thinking it may be this big ass shield I have on my Vintage from Clearview Shields. It is 3" wider and bottom lowers are extended 1". Thinking of trying the 7juRock shield which has stock measurements with a flip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@enzo5000 and @TuningHQ

Looking for tuning advice for the following setup.

S&S Classic Air Cleaner Cover
S&S Classic High Flow Air Cleaner
Dobeck Performance EJK Fuel Controller - GEN 3
Rinehart 4" Slip-On Mufflers
Rinehart 2.5" Hi-Flo Performance Baffles For Indian Touring / Cruiser
Killed the Cat

Thanks,
Jdub

·
Registered
422 Posts
Indian Forum Members!

Looks like most people are having good luck tuning their EJK. Anyone still battling decel pop or other running issues should give Dobeck Performance a call.
We are happy to help you dial in the settings.

I did see one post where someone mentioned disconnecting the AFR gauge on the AFR+. You CAN NOT disconnect the gauge and maintain your tune up.
Disconnecting the gauge reverts the vehicle back to the stock fueling. The AFR+ gauge must be connected in order for the fuel controller to function properly.
The gauge is the brains of the operation and maintains your tune up.

As a reminder, we offer Stage 1 Performance Packages. This means you can order your exhaust, air cleaner and EJK/AFR+ all directly from us.
We offer a large selection of exhaust and intakes. We have huge discounts when putting a Stage 1 package together. Free shipping to the continental USA with any of these packages. Give us a call to put your Stage 1 package together and SAVE BIG!!!

FORUM & MILITARY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE!!! -make sure you get your promo code to receive a discount at checkout.

Thank you Indian owners for choosing a Dobeck Performance fuel solution.
We appreciate everyone's support!

If you need to reach Dobeck Performance, send an email to [email protected] or call us at 1.406.388.2377

-TuningHQ
Does the dobeck do anything for a stock engine, one with no modifications.

·
Rider
848 Posts
It certainly is refreshing to read 20 pages of happy and successful Dobeck EJK user's comments. It wasn't long ago some "internet wizard " was bashing the product because the PCV was so superior in it's function and complexity.
I have always found that the right way to do something is the simplest way possible.
Now it looks like the EJK may be the only game in town with the 2018 ECU's being locked up.
Ask any Mopar owner how that feels.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I installed the Dobeck Performance EJK kit this morning and took her out for a test ride.....!

*See manufacturers PDF Install Sheet ant the bottom of this post.

HELPFUL NOTES:

1./ If you running the original AC you may have to remove it. If you have the smaller aftermarket foot print ACs you can work around it. I'm running an S & S AC. Raise the tank as far as possible blocking it up with a piece of 2x4.

2./ The kit comes with two 02 sensor bypasses that plug into the 02 sensor connectors. If you want to have the install look cleaner you can take the 02 sensors out of the loop completely by removing them from both the front and rear head pipes. The threaded holes in the head pipes are M12-1.25 pitch. Two choices; you can cut down two M12-1.25x20mm or 30mm bolts cut down to 10mm (10mm bolts in size M12 are impossible to find) or you can get two M12-1.25 oil drain plugs and copper crush washers to plug the sensor holes. The metric oil drain plugs can be found at most local auto parts stores.

3./ Squeezing your hands in under the tank to release the injector connectors is a royal pain in the butt. Small hands are better. Ask your wife, GF or kid to help you if available. You’ll need a dental pick or equivalent to release the connector clips. I found that using one of those paint can opener tools worked better. The little hook at the end was perfect.
*Removing tank completely will make things easier if your tank is empty.

4./ I routed the wires up under the tank and mounted the EJK unit on top of the fuse box with the included adhesive velcro patches.

5./ Total installation time was 90 minutes.

IMPRESSIONS:

Throttle response is clearly snappier. Off idle smoothness was improved. The engine seemed to run cooler due to a richer fuel mixture. The valves even quieted down a bit with the richer fuel mixture. Overall a better solution than the regular Stage 1 flash. Overall performance is better and more responsive with more power as well. The sleeping giant has been awakened!

At the end of my test ride, I took my sickle out on an empty stretch of highway and for the first time I nailed the throttle full open from 2nd. gear to 6th gear. The things pulls like a freight train an sounds amazing.

View attachment 11574 View attachment 11575 View attachment 11577 View attachment 11576 View attachment 11578

View attachment 11580 View attachment 11579
:mad:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Current EJK settings as of
8/9/17
2016 Scout with Arlen Ness Intake, EJK, Dean Speed Customs 12 gauge exhaust.

G: 3
Y: 5.5
R: 6
GB: 1
YB: 4.5
RB: 4

Using the Dobeck SAFR tool i was saw I was riding between 12-13 AFR. Cruising at about 13, accelerating at about 12. Occasionally I get a pop on deceleration, and i have checked for exhaust leaks using a flame, and there were none.

Just wanted to document my settings here incase someone ends up with the same set up.
Power seems good, acceleration is quick!!
Still not sure how the YB and RB settings are affecting the bike. Ive played around with changing the YB setting and haven't noticed too much difference

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Enzo. Why did you change the setting on the GB? I thought that was just Idle Switch Point. Most of my clacking and popping went away with your last settings. Heck Man, I'm loving the settings you posted last month! I'm kicking ass with those settings. :) BTW thanx again for sharing.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 · (Edited)
Hey Enzo. Why did you change the setting on the GB? I thought that was just Idle Switch Point. Most of my clacking and popping went away with your last settings. Heck Man, I'm loving the settings you posted last month! I'm kicking ass with those settings. :) BTW thanx again for sharing.
I was just playing around with the settings and the dual zones. It seems to reduce clacking even more. I was happy with the 0.5GB setting and may go back to it after a few hundred miles. Time will tell.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just purchased my Dobeck EJK. My Indian dealer gave me 10% off the purchase price.
On vacation after I finish up the work day today. I'll get it installed for the upcoming week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was just playing around with the settings and the dual zones. It seems to reduce clacking even more. I was happy with the 0.5GB setting and may go back to it after a few hundred miles. Time will tell.
Which setting would you tweak with to help with idle responsiveness? Sometimes I feel a hesitation when coming out of idle - not always, just once in a while. I'm using your settings from 8/17 as a baseline.

My setup:
Stage 2 cams + flash
Indian High-flow A/C
Freedom Performance True Duals w/Racing tips
Dobeck EJK

·
Bronze member
3,161 Posts
Let's us know what you come up with. Man I don't know if you guys feel like I do but in the morning when I look out at this beautiful piece of machinery, Damn it's freaking awesome! Proud! That's how it makes me feel. Proud. Oh, besides the Dobeck and the Lloyds AC, I did this to my dashboard. It's temporary for now. I didn't sandblast the chrome off, so I can change it back. Tell me what y'all think. View attachment 15700 View attachment 15701 View attachment 15702
Damn good looking bike

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just ordered a Dobeck EJK for my 2015 Indian chief. I have gutted the stock pipes and removed the cat. I have also installed a straight pipe in the mufflers to bridge the expansion chamber gap to get a more straight flow through the mufflers. I also have installed an Alren Ness super sucker intake. Cant wait to see what the EJK does for the performance and fuel economy.

It should be a couple of weeks before it arrives but I'll share my feedback when I get it up and running.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sunday Iagary and I removed the k&n hi volume air intake I put on 2 years ago and re installed the Indian stock intake. My left leg was always leaning out 2-3 inches making the ride uncomfortable especially on long rides. I installed the EJK when I put on the K&N and today with the stock change , I noticed no change in performance. I'm pleased with the EJK but thrilled to be back to stock intake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My EJK finally arrived and I've done a bit of riding to feel it out. The bike feels completely different. Love it. but I do have to dial it in a bit.

I have gutted the pipes, removed the cat, installed n Arlen Ness super sucker. No flash. I am noticing a bit of un-burned fuel smell when I'm cruising. so I'm dialing back the yellow zone to 2.5.

The clacking seems to have got worse and extended the RPM range from about 2000-2300 to 1800-2400 under very slight load. So I'm going to try dropping the YB setting to 2.5. Hopefully the earlier fuel delivery will reduce the clack.

With the massive increase in air flow I'm going to try bumping the red zone up to 3.5 too.

We'll see how it goes.

281 - 300 of 341 Posts