Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed the Dobeck Performance EJK kit this morning and took her out for a test ride.....!

*See manufacturers PDF Install Sheet ant the bottom of this post.

HELPFUL NOTES:

1./ If you running the original AC you may have to remove it. If you have the smaller aftermarket foot print ACs you can work around it. I'm running an S & S AC. Raise the tank as far as possible blocking it up with a piece of 2x4.

2./ The kit comes with two 02 sensor bypasses that plug into the 02 sensor connectors. If you want to have the install look cleaner you can take the 02 sensors out of the loop completely by removing them from both the front and rear head pipes. The threaded holes in the head pipes are M12-1.25 pitch. Two choices; you can cut down two M12-1.25x20mm or 30mm bolts cut down to 10mm (10mm bolts in size M12 are impossible to find) or you can get two M12-1.25 oil drain plugs and copper crush washers to plug the sensor holes. The metric oil drain plugs can be found at most local auto parts stores.

3./ Squeezing your hands in under the tank to release the injector connectors is a royal pain in the butt. Small hands are better. Ask your wife, GF or kid to help you if available. You’ll need a dental pick or equivalent to release the connector clips. I found that using one of those paint can opener tools worked better. The little hook at the end was perfect.
*Removing tank completely will make things easier if your tank is empty.

4./ I routed the wires up under the tank and mounted the EJK unit on top of the fuse box with the included adhesive velcro patches.

5./ Total installation time was 90 minutes.

IMPRESSIONS:

Throttle response is clearly snappier. Off idle smoothness was improved. The engine seemed to run cooler due to a richer fuel mixture. The valves even quieted down a bit with the richer fuel mixture. Overall a better solution than the regular Stage 1 flash. Overall performance is better and more responsive with more power as well. The sleeping giant has been awakened!

At the end of my test ride, I took my sickle out on an empty stretch of highway and for the first time I nailed the throttle full open from 2nd. gear to 6th gear. The things pulls like a freight train an sounds amazing.

dobeck_EJK_mount.jpg
dobeck_front_injector.jpg
dobeck_irear_injector.jpg
dobeck_front_pipe.jpg
dobeck_rear_pipe.jpg

02_sensors.jpg
M12-1.25_bolts.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks good and not too many wires to deal with. Did your unit come set up for a bike that had the "flash" from the dealer for the Indian AC, or was it set up for a bike without any type of flash done to the computer? Their web site had recommended base line settings. Did you have to scroll through to verify that is how it is set up? I'd like to use the S&S AC like yours down the road.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good and not too many wires to deal with. Did your unit come set up for a bike that had the "flash" from the dealer for the Indian AC, or was it set up for a bike without any type of flash done to the computer? Their web site had recommended base line settings. Did you have to scroll through to verify that is how it is set up? I'd like to use the S&S AC like yours down the road.
I called Dobeck this morning with a couple of questions while I was doing the install. Biggest question was if it made any difference which connector went to which cylinder. Apparently it doesn't matter.

Next question was about Stock or Stage 1 settings. They said the default setting are very close to optimal with the Stock set up, but either was it's still very close. They said ride it for a while and then give them a call if you need guidance changing the settings. My first impression was pretty right on. I'll leave it in the default setting mode for a few hundred miles and see.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Let us know how it changes fuel milage and performance after a couple of hundred miles .Thanks if it works on yours I will get one for mine.!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ahhh.......it does not matter because the signal is coming from the computer wire, going into the Dobeck unit, and then back out into the injector. The Dobeck unit just modifies the signal. Just do one injector at a time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for the review and photos Enzo. Once I get back home I'll order mine. How was Dobeck with answering your questions? Enjoy the ride :cool::cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks so much for the pix and step by step. Planning on gutting my stock exhaust and modding the stock intake with a K&N 3300 filter and installing the Dobeck. Really helps inspire confidence. Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just an FYI regarding the fuel injector connections..... I took the injectors loose from the head. One allen bolt to remove and the connectors are much easier swap out. Just make sure you put the injectors back the same way they came out. There are two o-rings on the injector, a blue and a green one. Make sure you orient them properly when re-installing. Don't ask how i know this. ;)

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an FYI regarding the fuel injector connections..... I took the injectors loose from the head. One allen bolt to remove and the connectors are much easier swap out. Just make sure you put the injectors back the same way they came out. There are two o-rings on the injector, a blue and a green one. Make sure you orient them properly when re-installing. Don't ask how i know this. ;)
Good tip. Completely removing the gas tank would also make it easier. I just didn't want to deal with spilling fuel all over the place.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I raised the rear of the tank and put a roll of paper towels beneath it. Made access much easier.

Reactions: TuningHQ

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a question for Taking out of two 02 sensors and replaceing M12 bolts to the holes.
02 sensors are not active with EJK kit?

I have a chieftain with stage1 pipes and flash. going to get Rush exhaust and S&S AC soon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a question for Taking out of two 02 sensors and replaceing M12 bolts to the holes.
02 sensors are not active with EJK kit?

I have a chieftain with stage1 pipes and flash. going to get Rush exhaust and S&S AC soon.
They are not active. The kit includes O2 bypass devices to plug into the cables you remove from the oxygen sensors. This kit looks much easier to install than the Power Commander V.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Enzo, have there been any "check engine" codes that come up on your display since the install?
Negative. No codes, no problems. I should have taken a photo of the 02 bypass connectors. Basically a female connector with resistors looped into the circuit. Not sure how it works, but it does.

Saturday 05/02/15 Update: I just got back from an 85 mile ride up through the twists to Ojai, Ca, and then back through Ventura. I am very impressed with the Dobeck. No issues at all. Runs better than ever and feels much more capable when you lay on the throttle.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I rode last Saturday and Sunday around my area. The Dobeck install is doing well. No error codes, cooler richer running engine, better overall performance and snappier throttle response. I haven't checked fuel milage...I actually don't really care about that. Maybe I will when I take an extended road trip. I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed the Dobeck Performance EJK kit this morning and took her out for a test ride.....!

*See manufacturers PDF Install Sheet ant the bottom of this post.

HELPFUL NOTES:

1./ If you running the original AC you may have to remove it. If you have the smaller aftermarket foot print ACs you can work around it. I'm running an S & S AC. Raise the tank as far as possible blocking it up with a piece of 2x4.

2./ The kit comes with two 02 sensor bypasses that plug into the 02 sensor connectors. If you want to have the install look cleaner you can take the 02 sensors out of the loop completely by removing them from both the front and rear head pipes. The threaded holes in the head pipess are M12-1.25 pitch. Two choices; you can cut down two M12-1.25x20mm or 30mm bolts cut down to 10mm (10mm bolts in size M12 are impossible to find) or you can get two M12-1.25 oil drain plugs and copper crush washers to plug the sensor holes.

3./ Squeezing your hands in under the tank to release the injector connectors is a royal pain in the butt. Small hands are better. Ask your wife, GF or kid to help you if available. You’ll need a dental pick or equivalent to release the connector clips. I found that using one of those paint can opener tools worked better. The little hook at the end was perfect.
*Removing tank completely will make things easier if your tank is empty.

4./ I routed the wires up under the tank and mounted the EJK unit on top of the fuse box with the included adhesive velcro patches.

5./ Total installation time was 90 minutes.

IMPRESSIONS:

Throttle response is clearly snappier. Off idle smoothness was improved. The engine seemed to run cooler due to a richer fuel mixture. The valves even quieted down a bit with the richer fuel mixture. Overall a better solution than the regular Stage 1 flash. Overall performance is better and more responsive with more power as well. The sleeping giant has been awakened!

At the end of my test ride, I took my sickle out on an empty stretch of highway and for the first time I nailed the throttle full open from 2nd. gear to 6th gear. The things pulls like a freight train an sounds amazing.

View attachment 11574 View attachment 11575 View attachment 11577 View attachment 11576 View attachment 11578

View attachment 11580 View attachment 11579
Enzo,

Thank you so much for your posts...
For me they are the essence of the value of having these forums.
I have a 2014 Classic..I have "knocked out the 'plugs'"in the stock mufflers and added a K&N type (spectra) air filter.

I have ordered (expect to see it Tomorrow or Tuesday) Dobeck fuel controller and am thinking it's going to enhance the performance of my bike, which is already running great with these "mods".

Would you tell me what your current settings are in each of the 3 ranges (colors) and why?

If you had it to do again and the cost was not an issue, would you get the Dobeck?

(Yesterday my dealer offered us "free" dyno evaluations.......the operator, of course, recommended a PC5, but the "read out" looked pretty good anyway. 73hp 103 torque and no great variance on the afr form "ideal".

From your postings, I expect to see better throttle response and mpg.......I don't have any "fine tuning" expectation.

Thank you again

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you Enzp,

I have a 2014 Classic, stock exhaust, but I "knocked out the 'plug'".
Added a K&N type air filter and have ordered a Dobeck fuel controller.

What are the settings in the 3 ranges that you are currently using.

My bike is running really well, as it is, but, I'm expecting better throttle response and enhance mpg.

Thanks again.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Enzp,

I have a 2014 Classic, stock exhaust, but I "knocked out the 'plug'".
Added a K&N type air filter and have ordered a Dobeck fuel controller.

What are the settings in the 3 ranges that you are currently using.

My bike is running really well, as it is, but, I'm expecting better throttle response and enhance mpg.

Thanks again.
I've left my Doebeck in the default Indian settings and have been very happy with the performance improvements. I think I'll trust the people at Doebeck and leave the settings as is.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've left my Doebeck in the default Indian settings and have been very happy with the performance improvements. I think I'll trust the people at Doebeck and leave the settings as is.
Enzo did you do the factory flash, or did you go right to the Doebeck. I just did the Indian A/C with the flash its good but I think it could be better.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts