Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing incremental performance upgrades so I can measure and try to notice the changes as I upgrade.

My first upgrade is to install the Dobeck EJK with the stock intake and stock pipes. The settings for this are listed on the Dobeck EJK site.

The second upgrade will be to add a hi flow intake. Stage 1 pipes will come as a third upgrade in the fall and I want to keep the stock pipes stock.

I have read in these forums that I should knock out the plugs from the stock pipes with a hi flow intake.

What would be a typical issue with a hi flow intake and stock pipes without knocking out the plugs?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imagine the air cleaner of your bike is like your human nose to take the air in. The exhaust of your bike is like your mouth to reject used air.

In stock condition your bike is running restricted. A restricting air cleaner, and a plugged exhaust.

Imagine you are running in such restricted conditions.
You'd have coton in your nose to restrict the incoming air, and a surgical mask on your mouth preventing you to fully reject the used air.

Your question is about a hi flow intake and stock unplugged pipes.

Well, that's equal to running without coton in your nose anymore, but still the surgical mask on your mouth.
You wouldn't breath in top conditions for a race.
But it still would be better than to run with coton in your nose, and without a surgical mask on your mouth.

I hope it makes sense.
Sorry for my weak english speaking skill.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am doing incremental performance upgrades so I can measure and try to notice the changes as I upgrade.

My first upgrade is to install the Dobeck EJK with the stock intake and stock pipes. The settings for this are listed on the Dobeck EJK site.

The second upgrade will be to add a hi flow intake. Stage 1 pipes will come as a third upgrade in the fall and I want to keep the stock pipes stock.

I have read in these forums that I should knock out the plugs from the stock pipes with a hi flow intake.

What would be a typical issue with a hi flow intake and stock pipes without knocking out the plugs?
You might consider sending your pipes to American Custom to have them rebaffled, $199 plus $25 or so shipping.
Sent mine out, they sound great and still have that stock look.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Just drill out the baffles and you will be OK. On the right side you will be able to see the 'honeycomb' of the cat converter. No flash necessary there but when you change air cleaners, thats where the difference will be. Get a Dobeck with stage one settings and you will be more than OK.

Hot Bike Magazine in this last issue did an exhaust pipe dyno test using HD's as models with all the usual aftermarket suspects. Vance and Hines, everyone. You may be surprised on how little or less difference the pipes made . Wait a year or so until someone comes out with a 2 into 1 pipe that really boosts HP and torque. But get the Dobeck. Military or ex military gets a huge discount by
the way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dilemma is, I have the intake and the Dobeck already sitting in my garage. I still have not decided on which exhaust to get .. full header replacement or just a slip on ...

Jekyll and Hyde has my attention as well as the Rush ... knocking the plugs out has been swirling around for a while now.

I figured this winter I would do the exhaust and why I posted this thread. I feel like keeping the intake and Dobeck on the shelf til winter is silly but if the bikes performance will suffer without the updated exhaust to support the intake I may as well keep them shelved.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,706 Posts
My dilemma is, I have the intake and the Dobeck already sitting in my garage. I still have not decided on which exhaust to get .. full header replacement or just a slip on ...

Jekyll and Hyde has my attention as well as the Rush ... knocking the plugs out has been swirling around for a while now.

I figured this winter I would do the exhaust and why I posted this thread. I feel like keeping the intake and Dobeck on the shelf til winter is silly but if the bikes performance will suffer without the updated exhaust to support the intake I may as well keep them shelved.
Since you already have the intake side, do as Bwana says and drill out the cat, then pop the plugs out of the slip ons. No money spent there. The Dobeck is already set up as Stage 1, so you're set. If you want headers or different slip ons later for a different sound, that's an easy change.
A slip on, a header, an intake and even the Dobeck are not going to make a world of difference in the "seat of the pants" dynamometer. You will notice a cooler running bike, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts