Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often work with my suppliers to solve issues. I only deal with suppliers that make great products. So I am a dealer for Dobeck. I like the EJK fuel management controller. It allows the owner to adjust it any time in a minute or less. Ok, since the last flash from Indian on the 111's I am getting strange results. I have a Air to Fuel mixture gauge (SAFR) from Dobeck to help me determine optimum settings. However, since the reflash I am getting different readings on different days and different bikes. Dobeck is going to host a DYNO clinic for my IMRG group so we can gather date and try to solve the issues. Dobeck is getting mixed reports from customers also.

I would like to gather data from you forum members as well. It appears that the settings change or maybe they have different flashes for each model of bike. Anyway, let me know your year and model of bike. Also, all mods you have made. Then describe what settings you have tried on the EJK fuel management computer. Describe what kind of mileage and performance you get. Note and popping or rich fuel smell. Anything that will help understand what is going on. Of course it would be nice if Indian would just tell us what they did but not happening. Some people are having no issues.

For example. I have a Springfield 2016, cams, 4X Thunder Works intake, gutted pipes, and the EJK. Before the flash I was getting great performance ( I could start out in 6th gear from a dead stop. That is torque.) I also got 48 mpg cruising about 60 mph. I was using the highest settings for the acceleration and full throttle (1,1,1,8,8,8). I was looking at upping the fuel. Dobeck made a custom EJK for me to experiment. But then I got the new flash. I had to drop the settings down from 8's to 4 or 5 (3,3,3,4,5,5). But now I get about 38 mpg. It feels like the power has dropped a little also. I still get different readings from the SAFR on different days.

So let me know your experience. I don't like not understanding things so I am determined to figure this out and hopefully help everyone in the process.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,424 Posts
I got a 15 RM with stage two cams and a Lloydz intake with the Dobeck programmer. I will have to go back and give you my numbers later. I had great power and getting about 42 mpg. Slowly my performance and mileage was dropping off. Also, I started with a little decel pop the moment I let off the throttle before the engine was fully up to temp. Now with the mileage getting worse and less power the decel pop got worse and louder. I found my Lloydz air cleaner had got very dirty and really needed a good cleaning. With a clean filter everything came back like before. I just need to schedule a filter cleaning with every oil change.

Outside temp changes will mess with your SAFR especially with a dirty air filter. Without the O2 sensors the ECU can't fine tune your fueling. I can see where this could cause your readings to vary. Hope this helps. Dean

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Bottom line to all of this? DO NOT LET THEM reflash your bike. The reflash makes it even more lean and your Dobeck must compensate. How much more is not known. I do have EJK and it came preprogrammed and it runs beautifully and so does my 2014 Classic with under 3K miles on it.
MANY people on both forums are experiencing strange little quirks since this recall reflash. How many bikes had a fire/problem due to the fuel being dispersed into the injectors? Was it ONE? Seriously............those who have not had it done do not get it. Assume your dealer will just do it and they probably will if serviced or a warranty problem. Tell them NO. Just like drugs. Say NO to recall reflash's. It will NOT void your warranty.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a 14 Vintage with stage 1 A/C and Mufflers stage 2 cams fitted, my Dobeck settings are
G 3.5 - Y 3 - R 2.5 - GB 0.5 - YB 2.5 - RB 4.5
I am getting 43mpg have the lattest stage 2 flash never had any problems, I am removing my Dobeck as I have purchased a Dynojet PVCX flash tuner.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Never had a problem with the Dobeck on the "old" bike. Good product. Running the Dynojet Power Vision on the new bike. Dynojet hit it out of the park with this product, reprogramming fuel and timing maps directly in the ECM is absolutely the way to go, better than any previous offering.

Reactions: sidecarsam

·
Bronze member
2,574 Posts
I got a 15 RM with stage two cams and a Lloydz intake with the Dobeck programmer. I will have to go back and give you my numbers later. I had great power and getting about 42 mpg. Slowly my performance and mileage was dropping off. Also, I started with a little decel pop the moment I let off the throttle before the engine was fully up to temp. Now with the mileage getting worse and less power the decel pop got worse and louder. I found my Lloydz air cleaner had got very dirty and really needed a good cleaning. With a clean filter everything came back like before. I just need to schedule a filter cleaning with every oil change.

Outside temp changes will mess with your SAFR especially with a dirty air filter. Without the O2 sensors the ECU can't fine tune your fueling. I can see where this could cause your readings to vary. Hope this helps. Dean
About same result here. Get a little decel pop until bike gets up to temp. 42 mpg, with Indian slip-ons, Indian hi flow a/c, and stage 2 cams. I used the Dobeck settings listed on their website for stage 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts