Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Neutral or First?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2022 Chieftain Limited
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the ratio of N vs 1st parking is
I normally park in 1st gear maybe there's some cons to that?
I don't find it too difficult on Indians to find N off the bike

· Registered
2022 Chieftain Limited
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It really surprises me, for some reason, as to how many say they opt for neutral when parking their bike. (in any situation)
Literally nobody can argue against the fact that the "safest" option is to park in gear...and more specifically, 1st gear.
If you have ever had a bike roll away or fall down due to being parked in neutral, trust me...you'll never do it again.
There is no damage that can be caused by parking "in gear" and being in gear is the only way to ensure the bike won't move aside from being chocked, tied, etc.
Would you park a car in neutral?...even with a parking brake engaged, that's never a good idea.
---"Park" on a car locks the transmission to stop vehicle movement and with a manual transmission, it should be parked in gear.
Even in a garage, if you've got kids, pets, spouse, or even wind that goes through, you could have issues.
---For that matter, even I myself have bumped into my bikes and have had "oh shit" moments.
If you want to warm up your bike, unless you have remote start...which I have yet to see, you already have to be "at your bike" to start it so how hard is it to pop it into neutral when you're there?
At the end of the day though, it's YOUR bike. You do you!
That's a great summary and reasons why I park in 1st all the time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts