Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the pullback handlebars and or the reduced reach seat installed on their Chieftain? If so could you add a picture and explain of you like the difference it provides? I've read that some that have installed the reduced reach seats that they did not care for it and they wind up selling them on the forums. Personally I wish the dealerships would have had these options on some of the demos in the showrooms. Thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Does anyone have the pullback handlebars and or the reduced reach seat installed on their Chieftain? If so could you add a picture and explain of you like the difference it provides? I've read that some that have installed the reduced reach seats that they did not care for it and they wind up selling them on the forums. Personally I wish the dealerships would have had these options on some of the demos in the showrooms. Thanks for your replies.
My dealer, Chesapeake Cycles-Annapolis, said they could put the seat on a bike I could sit on (but not ride on) to see if I like it. Also said that if I didn't like the either seat or bars I could return them for refund - within reasonably short time. BUT, saying is one thing, doing is another. I'd get it in writing, if offered. That said, I do trust my dealer, I feel they are straight-up folks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer, Chesapeake Cycles-Annapolis, said they could put the seat on a bike I could sit on (but not ride on) to see if I like it. Also said that if I didn't like the either seat or bars I could return them for refund - within reasonably short time. BUT, saying is one thing, doing is another. I'd get it in writing, if offered. That said, I do trust my dealer, I feel they are straight-up folks.
I guess I could try that angle. When I was at the Daytona dealer waiting for service I sat on a 2015 chieftain and immediately noticed a difference in something, angle of the grips maybe? When I said something to the service department they stated that it's the seat on the 2015's that is different. o_O When I inquired about the handlebars and how much it would cost for the labor, etc. Needless to say I got a little heartburn over the labor being more than the part. Sometimes I regret going for the 5 year warranty. Oh well live and learn I guess.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I guess I could try that angle. When I was at the Daytona dealer waiting for service I sat on a 2015 chieftain and immediately noticed a difference in something, angle of the grips maybe? When I said something to the service department they stated that it's the seat on the 2015's that is different. o_O When I inquired about the handlebars and how much it would cost for the labor, etc. Needless to say I got a little heartburn over the labor being more than the part. Sometimes I regret going for the 5 year warranty. Oh well live and learn I guess.
I sat "in" the Chieftain, it felt cramped and the faring was in my face. Sat "on" the Vintage and felt the bars a tad too far away. Handlebars are different, and rake is different. Chieftain = 25 degree, Chief = 29 degree. Decided on the Vintage w/ reduced reach handlebars - the solution for me.

Also read somewhere on this board (forgot where) that the Reduced Reach seat is not compatible with either the backrest or the solo-rider fender rack (forget which) - in case you ever go solo.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Chieftain this past October. I live in NJ but drove up to Massachusetts to an Indian demo event because I wanted to see if I could handle the weight of the faired bike. I am 5' 2" and had been riding a Victory Kingpin. While there I spoke to the guy who handled the bikes on the demo truck. I asked specifically if any of the bikes were set up with the pull back handle bars or reduced reach seat, and unfortunately, none of them were. He did tell me that the reduced reach seat had a harder feel because they remove a bit of the padding from it. He asked if I had tried the Roadmaster seat, which I had not considered because of the added weight of the trunk. I was surprised when I did sit on it, that it felt lower. The shape of the seat is flatter rather than curving up at the edges, so my legs were able to go straight down closer to the bike. It was way more comfortable too. I did get the pull back handle bars, and with that combination I am very comfortable on the bike. And now that I have a back rest FINALLY, it is like sitting in a comfy chair.

Here is a picture of my bike with the Roadmaster heated seat and pullback bars. IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0020.JPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a 2014 Chieftain this past October. I live in NJ but drove up to Massachusetts to an Indian demo event because I wanted to see if I could handle the weight of the faired bike. I am 5' 2" and had been riding a Victory Kingpin. While there I spoke to the guy who handled the bikes on the demo truck. I asked specifically if any of the bikes were set up with the pull back handle bars or reduced reach seat, and unfortunately, none of them were. He did tell me that the reduced reach seat had a harder feel because they remove a bit of the padding from it. He asked if I had tried the Roadmaster seat, which I had not considered because of the added weight of the trunk. I was surprised when I did sit on it, that it felt lower. The shape of the seat is flatter rather than curving up at the edges, so my legs were able to go straight down closer to the bike. It was way more comfortable too. I did get the pull back handle bars, and with that combination I am very comfortable on the bike. And now that I have a back rest FINALLY, it is like sitting in a comfy chair.

Here is a picture of my bike with the Roadmaster heated seat and pullback bars. View attachment 5986 View attachment 5985 View attachment 5984 View attachment 5983 View attachment 5982
Thanks for the pix. That seat does look comfortable and I'm sure the wife would like the extra padding too. I am 5'6" and the stock handlebars are at the length where on longer rides my hands tend to get numb. They already lowered them to the maximum level otherwise they will hit the tank. The pull back bars on your bike look fine for some reason I was thinking they would look like something on a Gold Wing, way back almost in your lap, too close. Your bike looks real nice, the tan goes good with the blue.

·
Founding member
685 Posts

Here is a picture of my bike with the Roadmaster heated seat and pullback bars. View attachment 5986 View attachment 5985 View attachment 5984 View attachment 5983 View attachment 5982
Your bike looks sharp with the tan seat. Blue is the fastest color also........

·
Registered
221 Posts
Your bike looks sharp with the tan seat. Blue is the fastest color also........
Thanks TC, I see you're a fan of the blue as well. Love this bike like no other! Just wish this god awful weather would let up so I could get out and ride.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this is a little off topic but I heard that Indian is revealing the new 2015 Dark Horse on some ride in Chicago this month. Supposed to be pretty cold too, well for those of us that live down south that is.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
The handlebars on the 2015 Chieftain are pulled back further than those that came on the 2014 Chieftain, I am only 5'9" with average reach, the bars work fine for me, thank goodness.

·
Registered
716 Posts

Are the pullbacks any higher at all ? I would like about 2" higher as well as 2" back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts