Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I have noticed is alot of new bikes being bought. I just want to remind folks that a close friend or relative needs to get the new bike owner a spirit bell. May be just biker superstition but I have one my wife bought me on my Chieftain! I also have one on my shovelhead that was given to be by a close friend (brother) who has sinced passed. I got one for my wifes suzuki c90t. Better safe than sorry.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I roll with the 200th Anniversary Marie LaVeau Monkey Paw.
It came with a serial numbered certificate of authenticity.

I used to go with the rabbits foot but I got tired of seeing three legged rabbits limping around.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have mounted my old faithful gremlin bell. I don't even know how long it has been with me now. Have replaced the mounting loop....broke off years ago and the clapper is now a 1/4" nut suspended from some wire.

It has been good luck for me so far and chased away many of those evil little gremlins....so I will keep repairing it until it disappears someday.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I grew up being told the guy who had the bell on his bike was the last one in the club that dropped his bike. The next guy who dropped his bike was then handed the bell.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have my bell.

On Netflix is a great show called "the long way down" which is a quasi-documentary with Ewan McGregor where he rides a BMW motorbike From Scotland to Cape Town South Africa. There is a scene where Ewan gets a bell from an American fan.

They keep the gremlins away.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
When I was in Sturgis, The guy at the Jack Daniel's truck gave me an Ol number 7 bell. I had it on my bike and saw it smashed up one day. Too rough of roads I guess. Just happened to get a Dave Mann bell the day before. I'll hang that one in a better place.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I stupidly bought my own bell, realizing my mistake I quickly gave it to my wife...and my little sweetheart gave it back to me. I think that's enough to confuse the gremlins.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok let me get this right. After reading all your posts, you have to be given one. You can not buy your own. Is that right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. The bell provides more protection when given as a gift. You can buy your own,but according to the legend. It won't be as effective.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,124 Posts
Ok let me get this right. After reading all your posts, you have to be given one. You can not buy your own. Is that right?
Here is a page with the history and legend of the Guardian / Gremlin Bell as well as the Commemerative Bell
Biker Bell History | Noble Ride Bells

You CAN buy your own but then the "magic" of the bell isn't as strong. My own personal read on the story, the real power of the bell rests is the camaraderie of one biker giving a bell to another :cool:

While we're on the subject, for those who don't have other bikers they ride with, I've seen bell exhanges done between forum members. Since this is David's post it will be up to him but we could either post who is interested in exchanging bells and then the two members can PM to work out the details.

And since it's a fellow biker who buys the bell, the "magic" is still strong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"Legend has it that evil road spirits have been latching onto motorcycles for as long as bikes have been on the road. These spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck on a journey.

Legend goes on to say that, by attaching a guardian bell to your bike, the evil spirits will become trapped inside the guardian bell. There, the constant ringing will drive them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Guardian%20Bell

·
Registered
723 Posts
The bell must be given to you to ward off the gremlins. Should not buy it yourself. Every once in a while I hear my bell and wonder what I just avoided.

May be just superstition but I also have a black cat tied to my luggage rack so it cannot cross in front of me, a closed ladder I drag behind and a stainless steel mirror that will not break. Get's a few looks but I'm safe and a sight worth seeing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I roll with the 200th Anniversary Marie LaVeau Monkey Paw.
It came with a serial numbered certificate of authenticity.

I used to go with the rabbits foot but I got tired of seeing three legged rabbits limping around.
Well what about those poor monkeys?!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The only time I heard my bell ring was several years ago when I couldn't avoid a freeway gator those evil little gremlins put in my way. As I went over it, it slapped my bell hard. The ring was very clearly heard and the bike (and I ) stayed upright.

You must have faith in your bell !!!!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I have found that riding with my eyes open provides just as much protection,,,,,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dragon...that would really look good on my new Silver Smoke Scout when it arrives...hint...hint :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry DRAGOON...I missed an "o"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts