Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this interesting item about the master pin when asking the dealer about resetting the pin on a 2017 Springfield I recently purchased from my local dealer in Sturgis.
I was shown that inside the left side panel that there was a sticker/label that has the master pin and also may include the FOB and key numbers.
It is suggested to record and remove the pin information from the panel as a security precaution. Just passing on this information to others that did not know.
Would not want anyone to have their Indian motorcycle stolen from them so easily. Ride safe everyone.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
757 Posts
I had no idea. would definitely save me a trip to the dealer since they won't give me the master over the phone as long as the PO didn't get to that sticker before me.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
964 Posts
I’m guessing my dealer removed the sticker, because of the multiple stickers there, none have my code.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
They used to wright it on the cover,that's how my 15 is,but people were not reinstalling the covers right and they would fly off.
You know they want 300 bucks for that little plastic cover.
So be sure you hear all three rubber grommets pop when you push in the cover.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a look at mine, lots of service bulletin stickers and the only one with 4 numbers did not work as a PIN.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Found this interesting item about the master pin when asking the dealer about resetting the pin on a 2017 Springfield I recently purchased from my local dealer in Sturgis.
I was shown that inside the left side panel that there was a sticker/label that has the master pin and also may include the FOB and key numbers.
It is suggested to record and remove the pin information from the panel as a security precaution. Just passing on this information to others that did not know.
Would not want anyone to have their Indian motorcycle stolen from them so easily. Ride safe everyone.

Your dealer is supposed to remove that sticker at PDI. I don't have that sticker either like most of the other replies. But there is a QR code so you can look up all the fault codes on your bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They used to wright it on the cover,that's how my 15 is,but people were not reinstalling the covers right and they would fly off.
You know they want 300 bucks for that little plastic cover.
So be sure you hear all three rubber grommets pop when you push in the cover.
Saw a lot of threads showing this issue of the cover flying off. I believe someone posted a thread where there is a vendor who sells a chain or tether that assures that it will not be lost. Cannot seem to find the link for that supplier as of yet.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
954 Posts
For those losing their side covers. When I put my true duals on my bike, I thought about taking off my crotch cooler. However, never wanting to pay the outrageous price of $300 for a new cover I left my crotch cooer on - no way the covers will come off with the cooler installed.

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
I believe that putting the Master PIN on a sticker is a practice that some dealers do. I don't believe this is done at the factory. Most dealers don't put the PIN on the bike. The Master PIN should be provided to the owner on the initial bike pickup on a dealer walk-through checklist explaining the bike's operation. They should also demonstrate how to install a Rider PIN.

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I bought mine there was a piece of blue painter's tape with a code on it.

I've since changed it.

I had heard the master pin was on the ecu on on the bottom of the ecu but I didn't find anything like that on there...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
When I bought mine there was a piece of blue painter's tape with a code on it.

I've since changed it.

I had heard the master pin was on the ecu on on the bottom of the ecu but I didn't find anything like that on there...
Master PIN is hard coded into the VCU. When I had the VCU replaced under warranty, my Master PIN was changed. The service tech read it with Digital Wrench and gave it to me so I could write it in my owner's manual.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
416 Posts
Saw a lot of threads showing this issue of the cover flying off. I believe someone posted a thread where there is a vendor who sells a chain or tether that assures that it will not be lost. Cannot seem to find the link for that supplier as of yet.
GG Cycle Parts is who sells the tether for 15 bucks. I can't paste a link for whatever reason.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Just make sure you change those rubber grommets every couple of years and check them for dry rot every now and then. And make sure you hear a little "thud" when you snap them on.

I am a member of the lost cover club, but mine pull the top grommet completely out so Indian replaced mine for free and sent me 8 additional grommets. I was hauling down the highway at about 105 when mine pulled loose...

·
Registered
32 Posts
PLEASE find it. Can't take ever having to buy another

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just make sure you change those rubber grommets every couple of years and check them for dry rot every now and then. And make sure you hear a little "thud" when you snap them on.

I am a member of the lost cover club, but mine pull the top grommet completely out so Indian replaced mine for free and sent me 8 additional grommets. I was hauling down the highway at about 105 when mine pulled loose...
Say again now?
I want to join.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought my bike from SRK Cycles, a used bike dealership. I saw videos about the pin and had no idea what mine was. A short time later when I took it in for an oil change, the Indian dealership I patronized at the time went over the bike and looked up the pin for me.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My master PIN was not written in the book or the side cover and wasn't given to me. They set up a user pin that I could change if I wanted.

When the gear sensor recall was done it lost the user pin. I asked for the master pin next day so I could set up a user pin. They said they no longer give out the master pin - Indian Australia's direction - for security so a person selling the bike can't steal it later. They set up a new user pin for me instead.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
964 Posts
I bought my bike from SRK Cycles, a used bike dealership. I saw videos about the pin and had no idea what mine was. A short time later when I took it in for an oil change, the Indian dealership I patronized at the time went over the bike and looked up the pin for me.
Did Sean treat you well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts