Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a package in the mail today from my cycle insurance company. A DNA kit to mark my bike. I've never heard of such a thing but I thought that's pretty slick. I work for a municipality and take care of all the buildings mechanical maintenance so Im at the police dept about every day. I'll be curious if the chief has heard of it yet.
dna.jpg
dna2.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have had this for about 5 years over here in UK.. Welcome to the 21st century

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have had this for about 5 years over here in UK.. Welcome to the 21st century
Yep, It's even been around (in the UK) a lot longer than that; Smart Water has been around since at least 2005 and before that was Alpha Dot and of course Data Tag which is a little different as it's an overt marking as opposed to covert marking.

·
Silver member
4,796 Posts
Must be you have your bike provide a snot sample, then send it in for the DNA test.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Can you elaborate a little bit on that, tell us exactly what it is?
It's basically a liquid that you dab on specific components of the bike; frame, under tank, side panels etc, it is clear and cannot be seen unless under UV light and or magnification. The application kit is then registered on a database against your bike. If the bike is stolen and recovered the bike and owner can be identified by reading the DNA from the bike or an individual component if it's broken for parts.

It will not stop your bike being stolen but it is a deterrent as thieves cannot effectively remove the identity of the bike or its major components, making it difficult for them to dispose of. The deterrent part being the application of an overt discrete logo stating the bike is protected by; Smart Water, Alpha Dot or Datatag etc making it less desirable to thieves. Some also include a micro chip you can hide on the bike too and also another that can be injected into the foam on the seat.

The details are also transferable when you sell a bike assuming you have the correct documents.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I showed it to our police chief and he thought it was a good thing but believes it will be years before its a ongoing thing for the police to be checking for DNA. But he liked the idea. Maybe in large cities, they might but I live in a suburb of Des Moines Ia and not likely here for years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts