Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rider
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The typical British man-cave, for those of us lucky enough to have one at all, isn't usually as big as that on the other side of the pond. Keeping Mrs downswalker sweet by not having various Indian parts stored on the dining room table here at Chateau Downswalker posed a bit of a problem, which I've solved with the aid of some leftover bits and pieces at almost zero cost, both in terms of money and of garage floor space.

Here are my wall racks for the Chief's pillion seat and the windshield. All-in cost was under a tenner for both racks. The tubes are 1" plastic conduit for the seat rack and 3/4" chrome tube for the windshield rack.

The windshield rack is slightly more complex than the backrest one - it hinges forward to give you access to the quick-release catches and folds back to support the windshield without it touching the wall.

1 Backrest rack.png 2 Backrest rack.png 3 Backrest rack detail.png 4 Screen rack empty.png 5 Screen rack open.png 6 Screen rack open.png 7 Screen rack closed.png 8 Screen rack closed.png

You're very welcome to copy, adapt, or whatever.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Brilliant! I have to do one for my garage too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,064 Posts
When I do get around to building my climate controlled storage facility/shop/outside kitchen/dog house I'll be putting some of these on the walls as well. Those accessories cost waaaaaay too much to be left lying around to get damaged that's for sure. Great idea!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spent five years in the UK...and it is no understatement to say the garage are a wee bit smaller than what we are accustomed to on this side of the pond. I miss the country...but not having to cram my toys into that tiny garage. Well done Mr DW! Looks good. Will keep this in mind when we finally settle down into that forever home/man-cave!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Loved it, copied it (for personal use), and now just have to find a place to hang it. I used some scrap wood I had laying around, and a 1" wooden dowel that was left over from another project, so $0 investment for me. Decorated it with a side panel from the Indian oil change kit box for another $0. Will have to buy another dowel to make the windshield rack though. Thanks for the great idea!

Passenger seat rack.JPG

·
Rider
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@WillRide , Nice job! $0 is good, even when converted to Sterling. :)

Might some small wooden doorknobs help stop the rack from drifting off the ends of the rails? It'd be a pity to have the backrest drop off the rack and fall once you've got it hung up.

I've also used the backrest's mount locking screws to stop the clips from opening accidentally.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Might some small wooden doorknobs help stop the rack from drifting off the ends of the rails? It'd be a pity to have the backrest drop off the rack and fall once you've got it hung up.

I've also used the backrest's mount locking screws to stop the clips from opening accidentally.
I thought about putting some stops on the ends of the rails, but once in place, the rubber on the front mounts (bottom when hung) keep the backrest from moving side to side at all. I may put some type of safety measure in place once hung (small rope directly to a stud in the wall), but it seems the backrest clips on pretty securely as well. Thanks again!

·
Rider
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hadn't considered the grippiness of the front mounts.

My backrest is positioned almost over the bike, so this led to a certain amount of paranoia during the design process. If the backrest fell you'd very probably hear my choice words of Anglo-Saxon from your side of the pond!

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
It looks great WillRide . If you use a wider board and place the mount pieces further out, that should keep it in place. Thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It looks great WillRide . If you use a wider board and place the mount pieces further out, that should keep it in place. Thanks for the ideas guys.
No issues with it staying in place as currently built. I was trying to keep it slim and unobtrusive for when the rack is hanging there empty. Thanks!

Reactions: chiefwannabe1

·
Registered
29 Posts
The typical British man-cave, for those of us lucky enough to have one at all, isn't usually as big as that on the other side of the pond. Keeping Mrs downswalker sweet by not having various Indian parts stored on the dining room table here at Chateau Downswalker posed a bit of a problem, which I've solved with the aid of some leftover bits and pieces at almost zero cost, both in terms of money and of garage floor space.

Here are my wall racks for the Chief's pillion seat and the windshield. All-in cost was under a tenner for both racks. The tubes are 1" plastic conduit for the seat rack and 3/4" chrome tube for the windshield rack.

The windshield rack is slightly more complex than the backrest one - it hinges forward to give you access to the quick-release catches and folds back to support the windshield without it touching the wall.

View attachment 21507 View attachment 21506 View attachment 21505 View attachment 21504 View attachment 21503 View attachment 21502 View attachment 21501 View attachment 21500

For private use you're very welcome to copy, adapt, or whatever. In the unlikely event you wish to make these commercially, please contact me.
Nice one will do the same in my shed.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
For private use you're very welcome to copy, adapt, or whatever. In the unlikely event you wish to make these commercially, please contact me.[/QUOTE]

Hate to tell you there are folks already manufacturing and selling windshield and saddlebag mounts for storing in your garage.....you've already been beat to the market......there are even mounts for trunks......

Thanks for sharing.

·
Rider
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Fungus , Oh, well - I hadn't seen any of the commercial ones. Nor did I expect the interest in them I've had on this forum. I've edited the original post.

·
Rider
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

@Taylormandan , why the 'disagree' rating?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts