Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of question for the tuning socket-heads:

1. How does one create their own tune with the DynoJet C3 software? Does one start with the .STK tune, make changes directly, and save it?

2. Is there a way to save the LTFT values stored in the ECU so as to reapply them after a re-flash?

·
Bronze member
4,289 Posts
Save the STK with a new file name. This will save it as a .djt file and you can change it to your hearts content. The STK file is the bikes master tune and it never changes. When you flash a tune to the bike, you really aren't flashing a new tune. What the PV3/PVCX units do is flash the stock file (stk) back to the bike with the changes made in the djt file. That's why the original stock tune needs to reside on the PV3/PVCX unit along with the desired djt files.

The fuel trims are created and adjusted based on the tune valves. I don't think you can copy them and if you did, and changed the tune values, they would not necessarily be correct anyway and would have to be readjusted by the ECU. But CraigB may chime in as well as others on this.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
When I'm making changes to a tune I create a new subdirectory for it with both the STK and DJT files in it. I make the changes and update the tune name with the next number - such as 558-01, 558-02 etc.

Power Core needs both files although it's the DJT file that gets the revisions. I've found it easier to have both in every directory as it will ask for the STK file if it can't see it.

After saving the file as the new number it's copied to the PVCX and flashed to the bike. I only keep the current and one previous tune sitting on the PVCX.

If the file name is too long it's tricky to differentiate them on the PVCX screen so I keep them short.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks @Baron58. I'm noodling how to not loose the ECU's "learned" fuel trims because my 5k service is due and I think it's advisable to flash the STK tune before handing it over to the dealership. If I could capture the LTFT, then I could reflash my tune and apply those LTFT and be back in bidness.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I'm making changes to a tune I create a new subdirectory for it with both the STK and DJT files in it. I make the changes and update the tune name with the next number - such as 558-01, 558-02 etc.

Power Core needs both files although it's the DJT file that gets the revisions. I've found it easier to have both in every directory as it will ask for the STK file if it can't see it.

After saving the file as the new number it's copied to the PVCX and flashed to the bike. I only keep the current and one previous tune sitting on the PVCX.

If the file name is too long it's tricky to differentiate them on the PVCX screen so I keep them short.
A pro-tip, @Dr.Shifty. I have the PV3 which seems a bit better at the filenames, but good advice nonetheless.

·
Bronze member
4,289 Posts
Thanks @Baron58. I'm noodling how to not loose the ECU's "learned" fuel trims because my 5k service is due and I think it's advisable to flash the STK tune before handing it over to the dealership. If I could capture the LTFT, then I could reflash my tune and apply those LTFT and be back in bidness.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Yea, it only takes about 100 miles for the fuel trims to get back to normal. As others I have flashed the bike many times checking out tunes. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts