Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing heated grips on both my wife’s ‘17 Classic and my ‘17 Springfield. The instructions say to apply grip glue to the clutch side grip. I see there is a set screw for that grip. For you guys that have installed heated grips yourself, did you apply glue? If so what type? And if not, does it slip even with that set screw? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I used Gorilla super glue (what I had on-hand) when I installed my grips on my KST bars, as well as used the screw. Some of the old-timers recommend using hairspray, as it will also hold the grip in place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’ve had bad luck with hair spray on my dirt bikes. If I need some sort of glue I want it to hold up to the heat of the grips.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I put heated grips on my bike but it's an '18 model and they changed the design, so no screw. However, depending on how tightly you hold the grip, the outer end might still twist a bit with the screw holding the inner end.

The glue that Indian sells for this is normal grip glue and there are lots of brands. Almost anything will work OK but it needs to be thick enough to fill any gap.

·
German Rider
1,665 Posts
I put heated grips on my bike but it's an '18 model and they changed the design, so no screw. However, depending on how tightly you hold the grip, the outer end might still twist a bit with the screw holding the inner end.

The glue that Indian sells for this is normal grip glue and there are lots of brands. Almost anything will work OK but it needs to be thick enough to fill any gap.
So on the 2018 models are no screw anymore ? The grip on the left (clutch side) comes a little loose when heat is turned on. So I assume, they didn't glue them correctly or not enough glue from the factory ?
Guess, I have to visit the dealer about this. Hope they will cover this under warranty. Bike will get 2 years at the end of march.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
So on the 2018 models are no screw anymore ? The grip on the left (clutch side) comes a little loose when heat is turned on. So I assume, they didn't glue them correctly or not enough glue from the factory ?
Guess, I have to visit the dealer about this. Hope they will cover this under warranty. Bike will get 2 years at the end of march.

Cu,
Sven
The new design for 2018 has them slotted into the switch block more securely, so no screw needed. If yours came loose it probably means not enough glue. They don't have to be loaded up with glue too much, but there needs to be enough glue to fill any loose gap so they don't rotate. Even a few lines of thick glue along the length of the bar before sliding the grip into place should be OK.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Installed heated grips on my '14 and '16 Indians without using glues since I figured the screw would keep the left heated grip from rotating. The stock grips did have some glue residue that I cleaned off with emery cloth before installing the heated grips. No problem so far with either bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts