Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just use my Garmin DriveSmart 55 for riding, which is much cheaper than the Zumo units. But, the car mount doesn't exactly work out of the box.
1. Run the SAE connector from the pigtail to the bottom of your bars. I removed the Scout's ignition cover, and ran it behind, to keep it from falling down. Make sure there's enough slack to lock the turns. The connector is kind of boxy so I velcro'd it to the inside of the wiring cover.

2. Attach mini-USB magnetic plug to USB angled adapter, and plug into GPS.

3, Run a 1-foot magnetic cable from USB port to the GPS.

And here's what I love about it - the magnetic connection means you can just pull the GPS off:

The whole setup!

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a magnetic mount for my iPhone which now has a lanyard attached to it so when you hit that perfect bump and the phone falls off the magnetic mount it won’t get ran over by a car going in the opposite direction. Looks good but I would tie a string to it just in case.....

Tim

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a magnetic mount for my iPhone which now has a lanyard attached to it so when you hit that perfect bump and the phone falls off the magnetic mount it won’t get ran over by a car going in the opposite direction. Looks good but I would tie a string to it just in case.....
I hit a bump last week which kicked me about a foot in the air. Knocked off my sissybar bag right off the bike, dragging in on the ground and destroying the top.

The GPS didn't budge. However, you have a good point this dependent on particular GPS unit you have and how it mounts to the bike.

The magnet only holds the USB cable, not the GPS. If that falls off, then no harm done as intended. The USB connection itself is a notoriously weak area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts