I've attached two pictures of an electrical connection. I'm sure it's just me being electrically challenged but I can't get the attached connection apart. I've lifted and pulled but maybe not at the right time or together. Anyone care to tell me in simple terms what I'm doing wrong?
Is lifting up on the tab in picture 2 the same as pressing down on the tab in picture 1? I've tried both and put some pressure on separating the two but didn't want to force things if I didn't have the right procedure.
That is Definitely a Push Down Tab !! Not a Lift Up Tab !!!! Push down hard on tab while grabbing both connectors and gently wiggle them while pulling them apart !! As stated above, it can take some Effort to separate them !!
Boy, I don't know. My fingers and hands hurt from trying to separate the two pieces. There isn't a bit of slack in the wiring to get my hands around one end let alone two. I hate to put a pliers to it.
Well 55loren, I still can't get the two pieces apart. But I can see that you are right in your directions. By pressing down on the tab shown in photo 1, such action raises the tab shown in photo 2. So the locking part of the connection is working. I'm pressing the right tab and enough etc. I just can't get a grip on the two ends strong enough to get them separated. And, I'm not a pup any more so that's not as unbelieveable as a person might think. I do thank you for the information you have provided. I now know how the connection works and what to do. I just need to think how to wiggle the two pieces apart. I tried to wiggle the two back and forth while pulling apart but no avail yet. It's 108 degrees today here so it's to the garage and try something, come back in and cool off and go back at it again.
I deal with this type connector all the time and they get stuck from paint or grunge often.What usually works is to gently push a small screwdriver under the lock to hold it open,then grab the male section with needle nose pliers parallel and against the female section edge then lightly rock the pliers while pulling letting the pliers give you some leverage by bearing against the sections.I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow.
Well, after spending parts of 3 days, I finally got the saddlebag wiring connector apart. 55loren had the answer but it didn't work for me the first few tries...….pushing the pieces together to kind of break the green seal inside. Dieselddoc had the other half of the solution about using the pliers to hold one side stationary thus allowing more leverage on the other piece. It was very, very tough to get the two ends apart but once it came loose, it just popped apart like it was nothing. My fingers still hurt from trying the last two days. Thanks to everyone who gave a suggestion.