Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 14 vintage the rear WW has a yellow tint to it. I have tried everything to get it white but can't. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
I have experience with my rear tire. It is on both sides and I haven't found anything yet to restore it back to white. The front tire is holding up fine.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Westley's Bleach White was dad's favorite on his old Cadillac's. But they were bought out by Black Magic. Lots of people complain about the new stuff not as good. Found a gallon of the original in his garage. Also use a Magic Eraser worry about SOS or steel wool scratching the chrome rim.

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
I agree that the new formula for Bleach White is lousy and not worth the money. I've tried SOS pads, Comet cleanser, Simple Green. The Comet cleanser worked the best but it's pretty messy. Still didn't change the rear tire back to white walls, still pale brown/yellow on both sides.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i too have that yellowing rear whitewall problem. nothing can clean it because i believe its a manufacturing defect on the vintage dunlop rear tires. i had mine replaced because of yellowing by the dealer (at Indians expense). the new rear whitewall also started yellowing within just a week. the front tire is white as you'd expect.

i would talk to your dealer about it. when i took mine in, the service guy took photos and sent them to indian for replacement approval. unfortunately the replacement also has the same problem. here is the replacement tire after less than one week....

good luck i think this something indian needs to belly up to the bar on and work out with dunlop. (my $0.02)

mark

yellaTire.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use the Victory spray on wheel/engine cleaner with a brass brush on the Whitewalls of my Chief Vintage with great results

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Here is a post copied from another Indian forum on this issue.
I hope it is helpful.

Update:, I've been speaking with Dave Johnson of Dunlop North America Consumer Affairs Dept (330) 796-3529 direct line to his desk. I spoke with him last week on the phone and he wanted pictures of both tires individually, together, close-ups, and the tire treads. Today he viewed the photos (9-23-14) and said he considers this a warrantee issue. He offered to ship a new tire directly to me or to my dealership-I chose dealership. I may need to pay for the service to swap tires, but we will see about it. My rear whitewall Dunlop had 6200 miles on it. The brown didn't come through till the 5500 mile mark. He was interested in the date code on the tire. I didn't have it for him but said it's the 717th Indian off the line, very early production. He will likely have the erroneous tire shipped back to Dunlop for analysis. It's nice to see Dunlop standing behind their product. Whitewall tires should never discolor as this one has done

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use Rolls off but the nicotine brown color appears to be due to manufacturing. As someone pointed out on another forum most brown rear tires were manufactured about the same time. The last 4 numbers of the DOT is week made and year made. My 4 numbers are 05 13. Made during the 5th week of 2013 or first week in February 2013. Others have this same code that have the brown rear tire. This supports my hypothesis that Dunlop made a batch of tires that turn brown around this time. Will see if I can get it replaced under warranty as others have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brown here at 5500 miles. I thought it was the heat from the exhaust causing the discoloration. Guess I need to call my dealer in SC to see what they say. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brown here at 5500 miles. I thought it was the heat from the exhaust causing the discoloration. Guess I need to call my dealer in SC to see what they say. Thanks for the info.
I think it has a lot to do with the "skirted" rear fender and heat. The front fender isn't fully "skirted" plus gets plenty of air so tire stays white. I've cleaned my rear tire with cleanser then wiped on a protectant called "303" and it seems to be doing well. BE CAREFUL using "303" on tread area, use only on whitewall and sidewall only !

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wear the Dunlops out and get either blackwalls or a different brand of whitewalls. Probably not the best tire around anyway.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with the "skirted" rear fender and heat. !
Nope, friend has a Suzuki Boulevard with the same problem on the rear tire.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
Had the same problem with both front and rear tires on my first pair on my previous 09 Road King Classic. Appears to be an ongoing problem for Dunlop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts