Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the Dallas Convention Center today for the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. The event was relatively nice and well attended. However, the Indian presentation was rather disappointing. Harley had 30+ bikes and multiple displays, screens, attractions, Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki had 25+ bikes each and acres of showroom areas. Other manufacturers had varying sizes of displays. The Indian display was shunted to a corner and had six bikes (2 Challengers, 2 scouts, 1 Roadmaster, 1 FTR). What happened - was there no support from corporate?,

·
Silver member
4,835 Posts
There's a MC show every February in Syracuse NY at the State Fair grounds. All kinds of bikes on hand. I didn't go last year but the year before Indian had only 2 bikes on display. I/P doesn't seem to believe in advertising. Prolly why it's so rare to see an Indian around my area.... numerous Harleys and imports though.

·
Bronze member
3,942 Posts
So I went to the Dallas Convention Center today for the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. The event was relatively nice and well attended. However, the Indian presentation was rather disappointing. Harley had 30+ bikes and multiple displays, screens, attractions, Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki had 25+ bikes each and acres of showroom areas. Other manufacturers had varying sizes of displays. The Indian display was shunted to a corner and had six bikes (2 Challengers, 2 scouts, 1 Roadmaster, 1 FTR). What happened - was there no support from corporate?,

Many companies across the spectrum have determined that "trade shows" do very little in generating actual sales and the money spent on them is not worth it.

At the Polaris Dealer show/meeting last July the Indian presentation was about the same (Tiny and Insignificant) compared to the rest of the Polaris offerings.

Indian Motorcycle is a Tiny division of Polaris a very small company. Indian sells about 25,000 -30,000 bikes a year. Harley sells about 200,000 to 230,000 bikes a year. So Indians display compared to Harley is probbaly a good representation of how the 2 companies are stacked up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think it's just the local dealers that are setting up any displays at the IMS. Indian corporate is not doing anything from what I've read. Triumph is the same.

·
569 Posts
I visited the IMS when they still had a stop in Seattle. When Indian MCs first came out Polaris had a good representation of bikes at that show. The Seattle stop was eliminated from the schedule several years ago. One has to wonder how they determine the locations they visit.....very focused on the Midwest metropolitan areas.

·
Rider
974 Posts
There's a MC show every February in Syracuse NY at the State Fair grounds. All kinds of bikes on hand. I didn't go last year but the year before Indian had only 2 bikes on display. I/P doesn't seem to believe in advertising. Prolly why it's so rare to see an Indian around my area.... numerous Harleys and imports though.
I live in a small city in Eastern Montana, population 8,800, there are about 20 Indian Motorcycles here, when I go to Billings, Montana's largest city, I rarely see an Indian at all...maybe because there is not an Indian Dealer in Montana...sad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Orlando should be on that list of cities, or at least Miami.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
It's been a couple of years but the Long Beach show had a good Indian presence with about a dozen display bikes and a few demos. Good crowd. Itchin to go, I need another free calendar.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm outside of Atlanta. No International show has stopped for years.
We do have a couple of small shows that come through each year, and judging from the last few, they are getting smaller and smaller.
I like looking for some new gear, spotting trends, and catching up with a few suppliers at the shows but it doesn't seem like a strong place for manufacturers to put their marketing dollars anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd take a selfie with Flo if she showed up...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I visited the IMS when they still had a stop in Seattle. When Indian MCs first came out Polaris had a good representation of bikes at that show. The Seattle stop was eliminated from the schedule several years ago. One has to wonder how they determine the locations they visit.....very focused on the Midwest metropolitan areas.
View attachment 571703
Brilliant to NOT have a show in Florida with the year round riding season.
Sometimes I have to wonder about the common sense in the industry....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I emailed the IMS rep about Florida. She said they used to have a show in Miami but it wasn’t well attended, so they moved on. She also said it depends on time of year, what convention centers are available, etc. She didn’t rule out trying it again in the future. I used to go the the NYC one every year but apparently there is definitely less manufacturer participation each year. i know Triumph and Ducati were not at Ny this year and the Indian exhibit was small and last minute.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Many companies across the spectrum have determined that "trade shows" do very little in generating actual sales and the money spent on them is not worth it.

At the Polaris Dealer show/meeting last July the Indian presentation was about the same (Tiny and Insignificant) compared to the rest of the Polaris offerings.

Indian Motorcycle is a Tiny division of Polaris a very small company. Indian sells about 25,000 -30,000 bikes a year. Harley sells about 200,000 to 230,000 bikes a year. So Indians display compared to Harley is probbaly a good representation of how the 2 companies are stacked up.

What other members said here is correct. At the NYC show this year Corporate Indian did not attend. It was local dealers that had brought a few bikes. The one dealer there was from Long Island (That is where i purchased my bike) and the other was from New Jersey. I had asked them why Indian chose not to come, The dealer told me exactly what Baron58 said almost Verbatim. Other members on this forum already said it but Yes, Ducati and Triumph did not show up either. Which is a real shame because i would like to see, sit on the NEW Triumph Rocket III and GT.

·
Rider
448 Posts
I haven't been to a trade show, but I was impressed with Indian's presence at Bike Week in Daytona last year. They had a block roped off on Main Street and had every model out there. They also had bikes on the side of building walls and crates. Big screen TVs going. It was pretty impressive. My buddy is a diehard Harley man and he was quite impressed as well.

Reactions: Old Cheif

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went to the one in Long Beach. I was disappointed too, no Ducati girls this year :cautious:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts