Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have around 600 miles on my stage 2. Curious for people with the voodoo air intake how often do u take apart to clean glass .... notice inside got a touch of oil/ dirt on it. Wasn’t sure if it was normal to have this happen. I put a hair net over the thing to wash it ha. Trying to keep it clean...
Also what’s everyone getting for fuel mileage. I ride harder. Always in sports mode. Never really wot, launching from start but run through gears... especially now that it runs so damn well I find 90 is like cruise speed if I’m not careful. Like pushing her through the twisty stuff. Getting 35 mpg on first tune I’ve tried. About to see what the second ones all about. Thanks!
7DEB41DC-0082-4E0E-8B0B-A8BDA074418E.jpeg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder what Could Be causing mine to get like an oil residue. I assumed it wasn’t normal Or good

·
Rider
691 Posts
I dont have any answer on the dirty glass but it kind of defeats the purpose being dirty like that. Such a beatifully machined piece.
Is this oily mist on the glass or really dirt?
If its dusty dirt Id be concerned because its getting in the motor too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have any answer on the dirty glass but it kind of defeats the purpose being dirty like that. Such a beatifully machined piece.
Is this oily mist on the glass or really dirt?
If its dusty dirt Id be concerned because its getting in the motor too.
It seems like a thin oil mist. I agree it looks amazing and I want it clean. I took it apart but would rather get to the root of the issue rather than always clean it. Something must be off..... tomorrow I am gonna do a pile of miles so I’m gonna watch and see if I can tell
Why and how it’s happening.

·
Bronze member
1,283 Posts
My breather tube is up in the frame with a small filter on it, no oil residue. Also oil level could be too high.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the breather tube ran up through the frame with the filter on it also. ill check oil level today. hope its something small and simple

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the breather tube ran up through the frame with the filter on it also. ill check oil level today. hope its something small and simple
Looks like misting from the TB. Curious if you “blip” the throttle? Blipping at low speed / RPM can sometimes induce backfiring through the throttle body.

·
Founding Member
1,792 Posts
It seems like a thin oil mist. I agree it looks amazing and I want it clean. I took it apart but would rather get to the root of the issue rather than always clean it. Something must be off..... tomorrow I am gonna do a pile of miles so I’m gonna watch and see if I can tell
Why and how it’s happening.
What does Voodoo say about the issue?

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I have around 600 miles on my stage 2. Curious for people with the voodoo air intake how often do u take apart to clean glass .... notice inside got a touch of oil/ dirt on it. Wasn’t sure if it was normal to have this happen. I put a hair net over the thing to wash it ha. Trying to keep it clean...
Also what’s everyone getting for fuel mileage. I ride harder. Always in sports mode. Never really wot, launching from start but run through gears... especially now that it runs so damn well I find 90 is like cruise speed if I’m not careful. Like pushing her through the twisty stuff. Getting 35 mpg on first tune I’ve tried. About to see what the second ones all about. Thanks! View attachment 583576
I've had the same issue even with the indian version I think it may be a fuel mist with small micron dust too small for the air cleaner ....my 16 RM has 54k on it and has never caused a problem so just may have to clean the glass more often .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
My stage 2 Roadmaster tuned by @CraigB1960 was getting 40-47 mpg (40 if I road it hard, 47 cruising at 70 mph).

·
Rider
600 Posts
250 on mine before Chieftain went into Winter storage, so far it's clean as a whistle. CraigB1960 Stage 2 tune...runs extremely strong and cool. From Sturgis Indian to Montana home I got around 46mpg at 70mph

·
Bronze member
3,017 Posts
This is pretty normal, and I noticed a little on mine today.
The intake valve opens (after the exhaust stroke) the cylinder is not at zero pressure, and some gasses can pass back through the intake coating the inside cover. I would suspect that high performance cams would be worse as they would possible open a tad sooner and faster.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like misting from the TB. Curious if you “blip” the throttle? Blipping at low speed / RPM can sometimes induce backfiring through the throttle body.
That’s the way I was thinking. A backfire out of the throttle body. Just don’t want it to cause damage to the bike. I may... unaware of it or knowing it would cause any issue. Not that it’s a problem i just have a clear cover over my throttle body I want to keep clean ha

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The intake valve opens (after the exhaust stroke) the cylinder is not at zero pressure, and some gasses can pass back through the intake coating the inside cover. I would suspect that high performance cams would be worse as they would possible open a tad sooner and faster.
What does Voodoo say about the issue?
i didn’t contact them. I assumed it was something in my bike, the way I ride. Lots of people have this and I havnt seen anyone talk about this.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I didn’t ride it without the stage 3 cams. I did it all at once w the voodoo pipes cams and tune. I ride hard and assumes there was something w all this together making it happen. It’s really easy to take apart I just didn’t wanna be causing damage to the bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts